What are you doing today ? 2019

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2019, 10:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Today there was a chemical plant fire in the area. Big smoke in sky and emergency warnings galore, one school evacutaed before they got it under control.

I don't have a "collision repair crap" thread so if anyone is curious, heres a link to my blog which is where I dump pics:

http://chevroldsmobuiac.blogspot.com

Looks like I have catch up reading to do. Nice boat! 8)
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

Borrowed a spool gun to attach to my Miller mig welder for the  repair to my aluminum car trailer..  I lucked out for a change. The spool gun connects right up to my mig welder.

Now to attach my argon tank hose , learn to use the spool gun.  LOL
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

Used the spool gun to weld up the cracks in my aluminum trailer where the air dam mounts.  There will be added supports under the base  to support the air dam better.

I practiced on a transmission case first , since I had never used a spool gun before.  Good thing I did. The suggested settings for the aluminum were way too hot.  I had to cut the power back by 30% to avoid burn thru and still good penetration.

My welds look as good as the tig welds around the mount hole I had done 25 yrs ago.

Oh... weather report:  it is raining here again.  Light rain.  Had some fog too.
Tony

enjenjo

I needed to press some bearings off today. I went to the press, and realised the jack guides were bent. I was going to blame it on someone else, then I realised it happened a couple weeks ago when I was pressing out a tough king pin. I had a cheater bar on the handle :shock: and the whole ting popped out of the press. I gave up, and got another king pin. But now I know how it got bent. Took me about an hour and some heat to get it straight. The bearing came right off.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

making exhaust for my merc truck. had to make a flare tool to make a bigger flare on the pipes where they mount to the header.all my bends are actually angled cuts rotated and welded to make the angle . Works not too bad.

416Ford

Picked up Vickis's new driver this weekend from Three Rivers Michigan. Drove it home on the express was going 70 with no issues other then the lack of heat and no insulation in the truck. Froze myself to death and didn't warm up till late afternoon.
I have a question for the stuff knowers but I will post that on a separate thread.
Pictures on her truck. https://photos.app.goo.gl/UZ3VBk5GmLYWf4Xv7
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

58 Yeoman

Put new paddles, belt and scraper bar on the snowthrower today. Got the old Cub in the shop and put on the tire chains and snow blade. It's supposed to be getting colder in the next couple days, but hoping that there's no snow.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"It's off to it's new home. :)

:cry:  :cry:  :(

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

WZ JUNK

First thing this morning I had to drill a hole just through one of my fingernails to relieve the pressure from the damage I did to it yesterday.  I had my hand between an immovable object and a large pry bar.  Today things have went better.  Not the first time I have hurt myself and had to attend to my wounds.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "kb426"It's off to it's new home. :)

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

chimp koose

WZ junk , next time you do damage to a finger , immediately pinch the finger nail with your other hand and hold it over your head . The pinch will make it hard for blood to get under the nail , just as holding it over your head will make it tough for blood to get there . I have tried it and it works ! No blood blister means you get to keep the finger nail.

Beck

Quote from: "Crosley"Borrowed a spool gun to attach to my Miller mig welder for the  repair to my aluminum car trailer..  I lucked out for a change. The spool gun connects right up to my mig welder.

If you figure out how to get that to work let me know. I have the same Miller 210 welder. I was told the internal circuitry would not support the aluminum wire feeder. I considered selling mine to upgrade to a later and greater one that supported it.

kb426

Beck, years ago at the plant that I worked at, all we had were miller 250 dc wire feeds. We ran spool guns and the large spools also. This was with straight argon. Unless there is something different with the newer machines , I don't see why they wouldn't work. I don't remember which polarity, though. That was about 35 years ago. :) These were 3 phase machines but I don't know why that would make any difference.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Beck"
Quote from: "Crosley"Borrowed a spool gun to attach to my Miller mig welder for the  repair to my aluminum car trailer..  I lucked out for a change. The spool gun connects right up to my mig welder.

If you figure out how to get that to work let me know. I have the same Miller 210 welder. I was told the internal circuitry would not support the aluminum wire feeder. I considered selling mine to upgrade to a later and greater one that supported it.

In the photo, the spool gun is plugged on the front of the welder...  2 round plugs..  the right plug is the spool gun. In following photo thread post:  the welding is finished.

You attach the power cable to the lead under the cover where the + cable is located.

The argon gas:  I had to manually turn the bottle on & off when I welded.. This Spool gun was not setup for a solenoid to control argon gas on my welder.

The Miller 210 machine is setup for a Miller 3035 SpoolMate gun. Plugs in , gas is controlled via solenoid.. New these Spool Guns were about 1k dollars USD

I was using a Miller SpoolMate 185 spool gun ... This cost nothing. The owner of Hughes Performance loaned the Spool Gun to me. It has set at his home garage for 15 yrs unused..
Tony