What are you doing today ? 2019

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2019, 10:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I took the 72 30 minutes away to have the front end aligned. That's the last item on the list for now. I will do something with the seat on down the road. If I can find ready made for it and a good price, that will be the end. The replacement steering gear is working as it should so there's nothing that I'm aware of that needs attention. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Trimmed a tree and washed the 72 and the 51. Now it will storm. The 51 is in the shed now that the 32 is gone. The tree was starting to block the entrance to the shed. Because the 51 is wider, it needs a straight shot to make it through the door. Mission accomplished.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

The 460 in the Ranger is at more of an angle than most engines.  I am using an adapter for boats that will make the carburetor sit nearly level.  Because of this wedge shape adapter the studs to mount the carburetor are at an angle to the mating surface and the nut will not meet the carburetor squarely.  I made some conical adapters by using a mandrel (made from a bolt with the head cut off), my hand drill, and a pedestal grinder to shape the adapters.  Then I drilled the threads out of them, so that they were slightly oversized.  They looked like miniature lug nuts without threads.  They will go on the carburetor stud between the mounting flange and the nut that holds the carburetor down.   If someone has a better solution, I would welcome it.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

phat46

Did a quick small, about 12" X 12", painting, a different perspective from my usual stuff.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "phat46"Did a quick small, about 12" X 12", painting, a different perspective from my usual stuff.

Cat's eye view  8)  I like it.  :)
Matt

chimp koose

almost finished the exhaust on the 65 merc pickup . A few clamps and hangers and its done . Also made a throttle cable holder that needs more love to work right but soon completed . Then its on to replace brake lines and hoses . After that my buddy comes to finish under hood wiring and its time to fire it up ! I have not driven this thing in at least 3 years . Now with v8 drivetrain I am looking forward to it .

WZ JUNK

While working on this last project I went to the parts store to select the proper radiator hoses.  I was unable to find a lower hose with a spring inside.  Something that has always been common.  I did some reading and most lower hoses do not have the spring that keeps the hose from collapsing at higher RPM.  The parts store reply is that the springs rust and break and then the parts of the spring take out the water pump.  The water pump manufactures will not warranty the pumps if they have parts of springs in them.  So, the parts stores will not sell hoses with springs in them.  I am going to buy or make a spring for mine.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

348tripower

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"While working on this last project I went to the parts store to select the proper radiator hoses.  I was unable to find a lower hose with a spring inside.  Something that has always been common.  I did some reading and most lower hoses do not have the spring that keeps the hose from collapsing at higher RPM.  The parts store reply is that the springs rust and break and then the parts of the spring take out the water pump.  The water pump manufactures will not warranty the pumps if they have parts of springs in them.  So, the parts stores will not sell hoses with springs in them.  I am going to buy or make a spring for mine.

John,
I used silicone hoses and aluminum connectors to  plumb the hemi. They have all kinds of elbows and used with a connector in between them they should not collapse.  I didn't like the ribbed copper or stainless and I have also heard that they can cause problems with water flow.
Don
Don Colliau

Crosley.In.AZ

Cut out the bulk of wood base of the air dam for my car trailer. I used a circular saw, air powered cut off wheel ..  This is Something that I have talked about doing for 7 yrs or longer.  :shock:

Need to get remaining wood out... trim up the edges, fit new wood.  Get ready for some fiberglass work.

Then: prep and paint the air dam.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

Tony, makes me itch just saying fiberglass. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"Tony, makes me itch just saying fiberglass. :)

Yes sir! ...  I was outside, skin covered up. I had a fan blowing across the area to blow  the debris away from me as I cut open the fiberglass.

Next : the wet part.  I hate the smell of the resin.  Even with a 'real' respirator on.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

This morning I went out to drive the GT and it was soaking wet like it had just rained. Puddle on ground around it. There was no evidence of precipitation. GP sitting right next to it dry as a bone and neighbor cars all were dry. I can't explain that :?
Matt

enjenjo

Quote from: "idrivejunk"This morning I went out to drive the GT and it was soaking wet like it had just rained. Puddle on ground around it. There was no evidence of precipitation. GP sitting right next to it dry as a bone and neighbor cars all were dry. I can't explain that :?

Maybe you put it away wet :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "idrivejunk"This morning I went out to drive the GT and it was soaking wet like it had just rained. Puddle on ground around it. There was no evidence of precipitation. GP sitting right next to it dry as a bone and neighbor cars all were dry. I can't explain that :?

Maybe you put it away wet :roll:

Now that makes sense because you know I rode it hard. :wink:
Matt

idrivejunk

Failure to rub down a good horse is actually pretty serious in the Westerns. The GT is a noble mount even if she ain't what she used to be. :wink:

Heres something I ran across watching westerns, and if you guys are "weathered in" it makes fair use of your half hour. Theres a big bonfire and stuff, they are reproducing twenty mule team wagons and this is the making of the wheels. They are large.

It wouldn't suprise me to find out some of you guys were involved in a cool heavy project like that. 8)
Matt