What are you doing today ? 2019

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2019, 10:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

papastoyss

Quote from: "kb426"I installed 4 new tires on the Dakota this afternoon. The truck is 18 years old this month. When I purchased it, I told people that this would be the last new truck I would buy. I may live long enough to eat those words. :)
In 2016 I bought a new to me 2014 Silverado truck, I was stressing out over the big check I had to write & my wife said "You might as well go ahead, it'll be the last truck you'll ever need." Gee Thanks!!
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

phat46

Quote from: "papastoyss"
Quote from: "kb426"I installed 4 new tires on the Dakota this afternoon. The truck is 18 years old this month. When I purchased it, I told people that this would be the last new truck I would buy. I may live long enough to eat those words. :)
In 2016 I bought a new to me 2014 Silverado truck, I was stressing out over the big check I had to write & my wife said "You might as well go ahead, it'll be the last truck you'll ever need." Gee Thanks!!

I am currently looking to replace my 17 year old truck, that I bought new, with a new used one. The old one is mechanically good, but rusting out from underneath me. I only have 109,000 on the '02, so I'm thinking this will be my last truck too. The sticker shock is real, thousands more for a several year old used one than I paid for the '02 brand new.

kb426

More yard work today. I removed all the shrubs from the front of the house. It has rained a little everyday for a while bringing progress to a halt. I took the little Honda for it's 1st ride. I didn't have to walk home. :) It's a little cold blooded but everything works as it's supposed to. I got it up to 43 mph with a slight wind that wasn't helping. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

My wife received an injection in her knee last week.  That gel stuff when the joint is worn out. Her knee is not real bad yet.  One  small spot is bone to bone.

She tells me the knee feels much better.

Suppose to be the latest gel material.  With the former material , there were 5 injections into the knee.  This new stuff required 1 injection.  

I am skeptical on how long this will work for her.  Doctor says 6 months to 1 year.  My wife is very active. I have been "telling" her to slow down.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Rrumbler

Been kind of "rough" of late, keeping a low profile, not doing much of anything except sleeping a hell of a lot and visiting the Docs.  Not complaining, though, just sayin'.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

chimp koose

A friend of mine has a ratty T roadster that he is changing the gas tank on . I machined him a gas cap out of a 2 1/2 " piece of aluminum . He is going to hold the tank in with 2 copper straps over the tank . I may have talked him into covering the straps with leather belts complete with big shiny cowboyish belt buckles . I also machined up a pair of steel rings with the fuel sender bolt pattern threaded into them . If I weld them to the under side of the fuel tank lids they will make for a neat way to attach the fuel senders rather than welding nuts to the tank .

phat46

I don't usually do commissions, but a friend asked if I could do a tribute to his uncle for his Dad. (Uncle is Dads brother) His uncle passed away suddenly a couple years ago, the whole family is heavily into cars, mostly Mopar. I couldn't turn him down, so here is what I have so far, the uncles '39 Chevy, on an S10 frame with Mopar power. I will do a likeness of him over the hood/windshield area. This is just coming together from the underpainting stage, I think the car will be fine, the portrait/ likeness probably not so much....😕

enjenjo

Well, you have the Chevy down.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I think the painting is going to be great. If the light accents the man's image, I think that the family might think it to be magical. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

you certainly got the car looking good !

idrivejunk

The car shape, the glass, front wheel, headlights...some of the real tough stuff... looks fantastic!  8)  Portraits are a tough row to hoe. My Dad's brother and his son had a knack for them, I never had much luck. As usual, striking lighting effect in your works. I gotta ask... for the ground did you use the flick thumb on toothbrush technique? I liked that part best as a kid. :)  With acrylics it even works for snow. The beauty of acrylic is if watercolor technique doesn't work out, gping opaque almost like oils is still an option. :wink:

What did I do today? Well I saw a Subaru hit 70+ in a school zone with kids outside, they were headed to a food trailer thingy. Then a Yellow truck needing to make a right forced me to jam reverse into the next county at a four way stop downtown. Took my pennies and other change to a coin chamging machine but still was too broke to eat. Come on, payday!
Matt

phat46

Quote from: "kb426"I think the painting is going to be great. If the light accents the man's image, I think that the family might think it to be magical. :)

The background on this is actually all white right now, the bright area in the upper right side is glare from a light.....but, it does give me an idea! 🤔😃

phat46

Quote from: "idrivejunk"The car shape, the glass, front wheel, headlights...some of the real tough stuff... looks fantastic!  8)  Portraits are a tough row to hoe. My Dad's brother and his son had a knack for them, I never had much luck. As usual, striking lighting effect in your works. I gotta ask... for the ground did you use the flick thumb on toothbrush technique? I liked that part best as a kid. :)  With acrylics it even works for snow. The beauty of acrylic is if watercolor technique doesn't work out, gping opaque almost like oils is still an option. :wink:

What did I do today? Well I saw a Subaru hit 70+ in a school zone with kids outside, they were headed to a food trailer thingy. Then a Yellow truck needing to make a right forced me to jam reverse into the next county at a four way stop downtown. Took my pennies and other change to a coin chamging machine but still was too broke to eat. Come on, payday!
I should add, the Dad (brother of the subject of the painting) is a good friend, we worked together for more than 30 years, I'm not sure how I can charge anything for this...
The lighting effect I'd just glare from a light in my studio (basement)
Yes the ground is a flicked brush, both a toothbrush and a fan brush.
This has several layers of wash on it, and will get more to get better reflections effect. I am just exiting the underpainting stage.
I have done several portraits lately, of my grand kids, they are technically good, but I had to try eight times to get one to actually look like grandson #2! 😕😄

idrivejunk

Thats how portraits are, just almost luck of the draw it seems, on some. My cousin did one of our Grandpa holding one that my uncle did and it is remarkable. All three men are gone now.

But  :!:  Rode home in 88 degree humid weather today, heard pages flapping in the wind where I had tossed the Chevy HiPerformance mag my boss handed me yesterday... just now flipped through it and wow! Hagar's el Camino looks like a million bucks in print. Thats only justice, but when I saw my family name spelled right twice... I got a bit sentimental and closed the mag. Looked up, smiled. Looked down, wiped my eye. Because there was something in my eye, of course. :wink:  :cry:  Then I flipped it onto the stack where I keep the shop's featured rides mags. Smirking. I think its great you've done a set of family portraits. Those are priceless as time rolls on. Theres no better subject matter. :)
Matt

phat46

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Thats how portraits are, just almost luck of the draw it seems, on some. My cousin did one of our Grandpa holding one that my uncle did and it is remarkable. All three men are gone now.

But  :!:  Rode home in 88 degree humid weather today, heard pages flapping in the wind where I had tossed the Chevy HiPerformance mag my boss handed me yesterday... just now flipped through it and wow! Hagar's el Camino looks like a million bucks in print. Thats only justice, but when I saw my family name spelled right twice... I got a bit sentimental and closed the mag. Looked up, smiled. Looked down, wiped my eye. Because there was something in my eye, of course. :wink:  :cry:  Then I flipped it onto the stack where I keep the shop's featured rides mags. Smirking. I think its great you've done a set of family portraits. Those are priceless as time rolls on. Theres no better subject matter. :)

Untill recently portraits, or most any human likeness was a weak spot for me. I decided to get better at it so I repeatedly painted portraits, some come on the first try others never come at all. I did eight versions of the grandson in green, none looked like him, but...they all resembled each other, I did the orange shirt one once, and nailed it. I'm only going to get one try on the tribute painting...