1950 Plymouth Suburban

Started by 348tripower, January 05, 2014, 03:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

Looking at the boyd car got me thinking..... I don't care for the chrome side treatment all that much (a little too abrupt) although it is a start at breaking up a large expanse of the same colour . However , just a suggestion , what about using a chrome trim similar to the buick side trim used on many of the low rider mercs . No need for a two tone but something to throw another curve into the side view. There is so much lovely, chubby, roundness on the top half of that car . The chrome piece might bring that shape down into the bottom half as well. It would also be a nice new twist on the use of one of the most easily recognizable (other than 57 bel air ) chrome treatments in this hobby.

chimp koose

I just went back and saw pictures of your car with the factory chrome on the rockers and fenders .I was remembering it without that chrome . The factory stuff looks spot on , better than the boyd car's stuff. The boyd car would also look better WITH door handles , the shaved doors look out of place with all the rest of the chrome being on there.....Man am I ever full of opinions tonight ! By the way, what shade of metalflake are you going to use :lol:

348tripower

Quote from: "chimp koose"I just went back and saw pictures of your car with the factory chrome on the rockers and fenders .I was remembering it without that chrome . The factory stuff looks spot on , better than the boyd car's stuff. The boyd car would also look better WITH door handles , the shaved doors look out of place with all the rest of the chrome being on there.....Man am I ever full of opinions tonight ! By the way, what shade of metalflake are you going to use :lol:

Only $66000 :shock:  I wanted to keep a stock look to mine with the handles and trim. The wow factor would happen when I open the hood. The sides of these cars are very tall so the chrome will break up the side height. I looked at some of these that are chopped and when you do that it throws the proportions all out of wack. So that is why it is like it is.

:D
Don Colliau

Charlie Chops 1940

If the grille is stock in stainless (as it looks) just keep polishing it as you are. I think it is starting to look pretty good - from here at least.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

348tripower

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"If the grille is stock in stainless (as it looks) just keep polishing it as you are. I think it is starting to look pretty good - from here at least.
Charlie,
You have great eyes :lol: Its chrome plated stainless that's where the problem is. Every plater I have talked to says it has to come apart. Its all spot welded together. That's the other problem. I don't think it will come apart easy or in the kind of shape that it could be put back together. If I had another one I would take the chance.
Don Colliau

donno21

Quote from: "moose"The rear seats in my HHR do fold flat.
WOW, I have a friend in Rapid City doing a 51 with a 392 Hemi, definetly not your average car.

348tripower

Ok boys and girls I'm still at it. I bought a 8 x 20 enclosed trailer and have been working on it for the last week getting ready to haul the wagon off for paint.  I wish I was as good at finishing as idrivejunk maybe the car would be all done by now. :shock: I have a young guy lined up to take the car off my hands and bring it back all done. :D
Now to add a bit more excitement to this build, I found another 1950 grille. I now have three!:shock:
This one is really straight but the chrome is flaking off badly. After further inspection the grille is steel not stainless as the other two. :?

So what do I do now? I have a plater lined up who understands
1 the grille will not come apart.
2 it is flash chromed stainless.
3 His price is better.
So would I be better off sending him the steel one instead?
My head hurts from too much processing. :cry:
Don Colliau

moose

Don, Maybe talk to the plater explain the new steel choice and see which he would prefer...

UGLY OLDS

Could stripping the chrome from the stainless & then having the stainless polished be an option   :?:
It would then be a closer match to the stainless on the rest of the car ... :idea:

Would it still need to be dis-assembled to just strip & polish   :?:

Just an idea ...

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

Quote from: "348tripower"Ok boys and girls I'm still at it. I bought a 8 x 20 enclosed trailer and have been working on it for the last week getting ready to haul the wagon off for paint.  I wish I was as good at finishing as idrivejunk maybe the car would be all done by now. :shock: I have a young guy lined up to take the car off my hands and bring it back all done. :D
Now to add a bit more excitement to this build, I found another 1950 grille. I now have three!:shock:
This one is really straight but the chrome is flaking off badly. After further inspection the grille is steel not stainless as the other two. :?

So what do I do now? I have a plater lined up who understands
1 the grille will not come apart.
2 it is flash chromed stainless.
3 His price is better.
So would I be better off sending him the steel one instead?
My head hurts from too much processing. :cry:

Hey I heard that! I did work at a place that did plating once upon a time. I agree with moose. If you trust the plater send him everything you have and ask for a hands-on evaluation before any work is done.
Matt

416Ford

If you could swing it have both of them done at the same time. You may get a brake on cost, you can pick the best one for your car and sell the other as a newly chromed original grill. Recoup some of the cost for yours that way.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

348tripower

I sent one of the grilles off last week to get plated. 6wk turn around. The wagon is headed to the painter about 5pm on Friday! :D I'll post progress pictures as I get them.
Don Colliau

kb426

TEAM SMART

moose

Quote from: "348tripower"I sent one of the grilles off last week to get plated. 6wk turn around. The wagon is headed to the painter about 5pm on Friday! :D I'll post progress pictures as I get them.

Who did you get to squirt it ?

348tripower

Quote from: "moose"
Quote from: "348tripower"I sent one of the grilles off last week to get plated. 6wk turn around. The wagon is headed to the painter about 5pm on Friday! :D I'll post progress pictures as I get them.

Who did you get to squirt it ?

Chelsea Restoration Services
Brian Riilley
Don Colliau