Hooley goes to Bonneville 2013 - 2014

Started by WZ JUNK, May 18, 2013, 11:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

Another long day and the car is still a work in progress.  We're hoping to leave tomorrow and get to Wendover by dark.  There's still a few things to create and install, some wiring to do, and load everything up.  The last thing we did tonight is spray some orange.  Here's a couple of pics taken this afternoon and half an hour ago.

Bed time.  Good night.

George

slocrow

Thanks George for taking the time to keep us in the loop. We're all hungry for any info delivered and very appreciative. Good luck to Hooley and the 974 crew.
Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

purplepickup

We just finished one last day of thrashing and Hooley and Sumner hit the road about 6pm this evening.  I'm staying in Blanding to get a good nights sleep and leaving for the salt tomorrow morning.  Here's a pic of the boys pulling out of Sumner's...finally.

George

Mikej

Good luck and a safe trip. I enjoy tagging along on the web.

Crosley.In.AZ

We met up with the folks at their pit Sunday afternoon. Still details to do as always with a race car.

Sum was suited up and practicing exits from the Studie. Being skinny and lanky, Sumner made the exits look easy while in full gear
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

office of 974.  tight and busy with many things
Tony

WZ JUNK

They were headed to tech about an hour ago.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Charlie Chops 1940

We got done with tech, had a couple minor fixes to do, which were accomplishes in less than an hour. The tech guy then put a fully suited and helmeted Sumner through a vehicle exit practice which went well and he's good to go.

Sum still needs to do rookie orientation tomorrow morning at 11 AM. The car and crew will also do sponsor pictures in mid-morning. We hope to have Sum in the car for his 125 mph license run around lunch time.

Things are going well.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

photos in tech lane, first inspection

Photo of test of the chute.  Note chute in mid-air , I caught it
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

many items in this photo;

Purpletruckguy (George) working at front body  dzus fasteners

Purpletruckguy's supervisor: Charlie looks on

Ohio (Ken) blue tip's boss takes a nap in back ground

behind the 974:  Beck(Tom) looks on, thinking "he has the camera out again"

it was a good time with good folks
Tony

rodfarm

I really apreciate the updates guys. I wanted so badly to be there and am excited to see how the changes work. Wishing you all the best.

Keenan

rodfarm

I caught it on the live feed just now, but they didn't have much info. Was this Sumner's Lic run?

168.84x
177.0x  - 1/4
173.xx

Keenan

purplepickup

Quote from: "rodfarm"I caught it on the live feed just now, but they didn't have much info. Was this Sumner's Lic run?

168.84x
177.0x  - 1/4
173.xx

Keenan
Yes it was his second licensing run.  He was required to make a run between 150 and 175.  His first run was to be between 125 and 150 and he ran 147 if I remember right.  Sumner said the car handles very well and is capable of a lot more speed.

We were going to make the next licensing run (175 -200) but noticed that the front end looked low and discovered that the front spring travel limiting bars were bent and non functional, allowing the front to travel too low.  The car is on jack stands but we didn't have time to fix anything before the track closed.  We're also adding 500 lbs more weight under the rear belly pan.
George

sirstude

We left yesterday morning and the guys were getting the car up again.  I see that Sum qualified for his "A" license and the car qualified for the #1 course yesterday afternoon.  Sum had to run between 175 and 200 for the license.  The car had to run at least 172 by the 2 and a quarter mark.  Sum turned a 186 at the quarter.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us