Hooley goes to Bonneville 2013 - 2014

Started by WZ JUNK, May 18, 2013, 11:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940".... with a goal of pulling into Blanding no later than Tuesday the 6th....Charlie

Good deal, it will be great seeing everyone again.  

Anyone else making the trip?  

Ken I got your phone numbers, thanks.  George and Charlie if you can PM me yours so we can be in touch if we need to.

Also I added a page on the wing for the car.  The work Hooley did.  I need to finish it and will post pictures when that happens.  John went over today and helped to put a hole in the nose of the car for the scoop inlet and figured out how to make rocker panels for the car,

Sum

1FATGMC

I've added more to the build pages, but I'm still behind on what has been done.  I'll probably just post pictures for a while and add dialog later as the days are too short now to get the work done and post also.  Here are some teasers....

... the rad-in-a-box with insulation and heat shields was finished and shipped to Hooley and is in the car.  I'm working on the intercooler ice water tank now.

After that I'll work on skinning the vertical stabilizers for the wing.....

.... that Hooley made and we brought back home with us.  Hooley has been working from dawn to past sunset and....

finished the body work for the nose extension.....

.... and pulled everything out and painted the new bare metal....

.... and has the new 572 installed.

If you don't have the link to the build it is here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/Hooley%202013/13%20-%20construction%20menu.html

... there are lots more pictures and info there.

John is making new rocker panels so hope to have pictures of those soon,

Sum

purplepickup

Thanks for the update pics Sum.  Things are moving fast.  Much progress recently.  Lookin' good!  See you guys next week.
George

Crosley.In.AZ

With xtra weight added, I imagine the coil springs needed swapped to stronger rated units?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"With xtra weight added, I imagine the coil springs needed swapped to stronger rated units?

Hi Tony, not sure where he is at on that issue.  If I remember right the front springs were about the stiffest he could find for the frontend parts he used.  I might be wrong.  There are stops, so the car might be down on the stops.  Too late to do anymore about that this year.  

He is hoping to change the frontend out to a solid (dropped) axle in the future like Gary Hart ran on his Stude.  There are other things we wanted to do, but with about 6 days before he has to leave for my place some things are not going to get done this year.

You going to the Salt?  Would like to see you.  If not we will try and catch up with you this fall if we go through PHX on the way to Southern Calif.  It is a little longer but we might have time to go that way.  Would like to see you and Jim,

Sum

sirstude

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"As it turns out my pal Phil will not be going to the salt after all. I have fallen back on Plan B which calls for driving the Trailblazer with my bike on a hitch rack. Right now the plan id to leave here on 8/1 and include a stop at John's, on to Holley's and then Sam Woodward's in Mustang. Next is a stop at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon with a goal of pulling into Blanding no later than Tuesday the 6th.

I'll be heading from Wendover to western Oregon, then Spokane and a stop back home in Cut Bank, MT.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

By the way, nice work John, Hooley and Sum, and especially Sum for getting it all posted on the Purple Sage site.

Charlie - check your PMs.  George, if you see this give me a call, I am on the road, and don't have your number with me.  The room is set.

Doug

Charlie
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Crosley.In.AZ

Janice and I will be on the salt this year.  Looking forward to seeing the car make some test passes
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "Crosley"With xtra weight added, I imagine the coil springs needed swapped to stronger rated units?

Hi Tony, not sure where he is at on that issue.  If I remember right the front springs were about the stiffest he could find for the frontend parts he used.  I might be wrong.  There are stops, so the car might be down on the stops.  Too late to do anymore about that this year.  

He is hoping to change the frontend out to a solid (dropped) axle in the future like Gary Hart ran on his Stude.  There are other things we wanted to do, but with about 6 days before he has to leave for my place some things are not going to get done this year.

You going to the Salt?  Would like to see you.  If not we will try and catch up with you this fall if we go through PHX on the way to Southern Calif.  It is a little longer but we might have time to go that way.  Would like to see you and Jim,

Sum

I agree , the front suspension may need changes for added weight now
Tony

1FATGMC

Tony it will be good to see you guys.  

One thing on the weight is that with the longer wheelbase and the engine in the same location it is actually set back more so we have worried that we need more weight forward.  There hasn't been enough time to scale the car at this point,

Sum

WZ JUNK

Team is at Sumner's working hard to prepare the car.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

I just talked to George in Blanding, they have been thrashing on an oil problem, they think they have it solved. It put them behind, but it looks like they will make it if they can get the rest of the car together today.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sirstude

I just talked to George, fired the car, no smoke.  That issue seems to be fixed.  They are thrashing on getting everything done that they wanted to do in the last couple of days while they were chasing the leak.  Very positive though.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

kb426

I'm watching this thread hoping there will be progress reports from Speed week. Good luck to all.
TEAM SMART

purplepickup

This is going to be quick.  We worked late again and everyone is tired.  The oil problem was a serious burn especially coming out of the driver's side.  Raw oil and mucho smoke was coming out of the driver's side exhaust right from the first start-up at Hooley's.  We pulled the intake to inspect for anything unusual and it sort of looked like oil might be pulling into the intake runners from the valley because of a poor seal....maybe mismatched intake to heads.  The history of some of the parts was unknown because they were used.  We tried a thicker intake to head gasket but the smoke and oil spray was just as bad.  Burned out but optimistic we loaded the car and came to Sumners where much work besides engine work was planned.  We pulled the intake again and very methodically eliminated possible causes of the oil leak.  It was obviously coming from either the intake or the heads.  Oil was pooled on each of the closed valves.  We checked angles of the heads and intake and they were within 1 degree of each other so that was considered a match.  We sat the intake on the engine without gaskets and it looked like a very good fit.  There are some bolts that enter the intake runners.....Jesel rocker rail bolts and two head bolts that are inside the valley.  we took all out, cleaned and re-sealed each.  Everything looked good and we didn't find anything that looked like it could cause the problem.  Next we made a test plate with an air fitting on it that bolted and sealed to the head runners so we could pressurize each runner individually to see if there were any leaks.  Sure enough one runner had a hole through the wall into a push rod hole....the result of someone porting the heads too much and breaking through.  Long story short, we used some epoxy putty similar to JB weld and let it cure overnight.  When we started the engine in the morning it didn't smoke...other than residual oil burning off.  

Assuming it will be ok we have been thrashing on a whole bunch of other things for two days and have at least another day before we can be ready to leave for the salt.  Had to redesign the rear wing...made a new one from scratch.  Charlie has been spreading mud and forming for two days to make it as smooth and uniform as possible.  A lot of turbo things have been accomplished.   Sumner made the ice box for the turbo cooling without the car being there so quite a bit of fitting had to be done plus finishing and mounting.  Much wiring for controls and data gathering is still being done.  The car is longer and the rear area has been reworked for the change in chute mounting so new belly pans had to be made and fitted.  Much of the engine area is still open to salt and new barriers are still being invented and installed.  

Many many more things going on but I'm too burned out to list or remember them.  I'm going to bed for a few hours.  I'll try to post some pictures and more info later.  I've been too busy to take a lot of key pictures but ...oh well.   If we accomplish as much tomorrow as we did today it's likely we'll be able to get on the road early Saturday.

Don't get me wrong...we are very positive and having fun in spite of all the challenges.

Later.
George

Crosley.In.AZ

thanks for update George....  see ya on the salt
Tony