Hooley goes to Bonneville 2013 - 2014

Started by WZ JUNK, May 18, 2013, 11:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

Here is the new chute box.  Two chutes now instead of one.  I will let Hooley answer the question and I will post the picture.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Hooley

A lot has happened since the last post. Sum came by for a few days. We got a lot done during that time. He took several jobs home with him.  There is still more electronic stuff to do and buy.  I seem to be in crunch mode, there doesn't seem to be enough time to get every thing done but will keep at it. John is working on streetching the front fiberglass be fore he leaves for vacation.  

All of the engine should be ready by the week-end. Just waiting on the crank to be balanced. I have all the stuff for the heads.

I changed the chute launch to a single one with a spring launcher that a friend had and didn't use.
Picture of the launcher  bandage from a miss firing spring.  OUCH

I still can't post pictures.

Later,
Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

WZ JUNK

Hooley has been sending me updates on the car but I have not kept up with his updates.  I am way behind.  Here is a couple of pictures and some text that Hooley sent me this morning.

John

I made a box in the trunk lid for the chute to rest in.  The chute just barely comes past the trunk lid. The lever and cable have been taken apart, cleaned, and lubed. Practice launch was perfect.   I used most of yesterday welding in the metal bottom [just part of the bottom of the car] under the weight and water boxes. The water tank has been cleaned, painted and installed. I made a flat pan on top of the water tank to mount some of the electronics.  When we ran a mag there was only one wire. The MSD crank trigger take more stuff. A 7AL-3 box, coil, Boost referenced timing retard box. The retard box  should be here Fri.
There are data recorders on several things.
The carb hasn't showed up yet. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
I talked to Snow Performance about the water injection nozzle sizes.  I had to order 2 more of them.  I figured they will flow almost a gallon of water during each run at max. The tank we used is too big for any area left. One will fit someplace.

Hooley

*Note I can not post the pictures this morning.  I resized them 3 times and I am out of time to mess with it anymore.  I will try later.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Crosley.In.AZ

You can email pics to me or enjenjo if there is a problem.

Thanks for updates.

I've had a few set backs, but still looks like we will be at Speedweek
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

These are the plugs I made to make the panels which will extend the front end of the 974, 24".   I hope to lay up the fiber glass on the foam bucks tomorrow.  Hooley extend the front wheels 24" and I am lengthening the body to match the frame change.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

WZ JUNK

Same panels, primed.  I will take them to Hooley in the morning.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Crosley.In.AZ

looks good John...  it is about 30 days till ''wheels up''  for raod trip to B'ville
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

I thought that since John was out of town I'd post some more of the work progress on the 974.  There are more pictures of the work John did....

.... here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/Hooley%202013/13%20-%20construction%20menu.html

.... along with a ...

...radiator-in-a-box that I built for the car.  Hooley has also done a lot more to the car and is putting the motor together now.  I'll try and get more of the work that he has done posted soon.  Lots to do but we are still hoping for Speed Week,

Sum

WZ JUNK

I returned home this morning from a trip to southern Oregon and northern California.  I have some medical problems to attended to but I will try to help Hooley as I can.

The tank looks great Sumner.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Ohio Blue Tip

I plan on being at Sumner's by 8/6/13 to help as much as I can.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

1FATGMC

Ken we will be looking forward to your visit.  Ruth would like to have some idea of how many people might show up here as she is doing some planning.  So if you are thinking of coming please PM me and let me know and also it would be good to supply a phone number in case we have a change in plans.

Hooley is working hard and late every day to get the car ready, but if something comes up and we change our plans at all I could contact you and let you know.

Thanks,

Sum

purplepickup

Wow, I just got back from a couple of months at the cabin and am catching up.  You guys are really going all out and doing a lot of good hard work.  It's going to be an exciting year at the salt if everything comes together.  I'm confident it will.  If any help will be needed (including washing dishes or sweeping floors) I'll also be out to Blanding on the 5th or 6th.  I'll PM or call you Sum.  :D
George

1FATGMC

Quote from: "purplepickup"Wow, I just got back from a couple of months at the cabin and am catching up.  You guys are really going all out and doing a lot of good hard work.  It's going to be an exciting year at the salt if everything comes together.  I'm confident it will.  If any help will be needed (including washing dishes or sweeping floors) I'll also be out to Blanding on the 5th or 6th.  I'll PM or call you Sum.  :D

That is great.  Ruth and I will really be glad to see you.  I called a week or two ago with no luck as I hadn't been in touch with you for so long  :oops:  and wanted to catch up,

Sum

Charlie Chops 1940

As it turns out my pal Phil will not be going to the salt after all. I have fallen back on Plan B which calls for driving the Trailblazer with my bike on a hitch rack. Right now the plan id to leave here on 8/1 and include a stop at John's, on to Holley's and then Sam Woodward's in Mustang. Next is a stop at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon with a goal of pulling into Blanding no later than Tuesday the 6th.

I'll be heading from Wendover to western Oregon, then Spokane and a stop back home in Cut Bank, MT.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

By the way, nice work John, Hooley and Sum, and especially Sum for getting it all posted on the Purple Sage site.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!