Hooley goes to Bonneville 2013 - 2014

Started by WZ JUNK, May 18, 2013, 11:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

Hooley and I thought we would start a post devoted to his rebuild of the 974 to run at Speedweek 2013.  He has posted some under the Ohio mile post but this topic will be devoted to Bonneville.  Some of you on this site have helped us in the past and I know some of you will be on the salt with him this year.  Hooley has trouble resizing photos, so he will send them to me and I will post them as I have time.

Sumner has updated his site with new information as well as all the previous post on the original build, the modifications, and the runs at Bonneville.  Go to http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-index.html

John

You can find the Ohio mile post here.

http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12177

frank
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

WZ JUNK

The Top Hat for the carb that was modified by Doug Lee.  This is part of the pressurized turbo system and it needed ears welded on so that it could be attached and would withstand the boost pressure.  Doug has been helping Hooley with technical advise and fabricating.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

WZ JUNK

This is a shot of the transmission.  Hooley changed out the overdrive ratio to meet the needs of the new engine.  Today he was changing the rear end gears back to the previous Bonneville ratio.  The Ohio mile had required a different ratio than Bonneville.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Crosley.In.AZ

Looks good...  If things hold together, my wife and I will be at Speedweek 2013.

it will good to see & chat with the folks again, its been toooo long
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Charlie Chops 1940

Thanks John, great pictures by all and excellent planning as usual.

Phil and I did some work on the  "motor home away from home" today. We're making plans.

Do you have any idea whether we are meeting in Blanding or straight into Bonneville?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Thanks John, great pictures by all and excellent planning as usual.

Phil and I did some work on the  "motor home away from home" today. We're making plans.

Do you have any idea whether we are meeting in Blanding or straight into Bonneville?

Charlie

Sumner will be here within the next month, and I will see what the plans are for the trip to the salt.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

WZ JUNK

I forgot to mention that Sumner did a lot of the work on the part that I call the Top Hat.  The connector for the carburetor to the plumbing from the turbos.  Sumner spent a lot of time removing an internal divider in the top hat and making the adapter to the carburetor.

Sumner relayed to me that the direct link to this years rebuild is on his site  http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-index.html
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

1FATGMC

Hi guys, haven't posted on here forever but still check in on you guys from time to time and talked to Frank the other day and of course John and Hooley all of the time.

Anyway I gave John the wrong 'direct' link to Hooley's build for this year.  It is....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/Hooley%202013/13%20-%20construction%20menu.html

So besides the pictures John will be posting here check in on that link if you are interested.

Ruth and I hope that as many of you that want to stop at our place on the way to B'ville this year.  We will do a group dinner the night before driving up there.  Hooley plans on bringing the car by a few days before that as we have a number of items to add to the car at our place.  Since we probably will be swamped with work doing that I probably won't be able to guide any tours in the area, but there are lots of places to visit if you show up a few days early and I'll point you in the right direction.

Hope to see a number of you at our place and on the salt,

Sumner and Ruth

1FATGMC

I forgot to add that Hooley has way more done on the car than I've been able to post.  Basically all of the turbo plumbing is done and work on the back of the car and also the vertical stabilizer structure for the wind.

We are in Florida working on the one boat and as I have time I'll post more of his work on the build pages,

Sum

sirstude

Sum,

Can you go as high as the image with the rear side plates?  I don't have a current rule book, but I thought it was limited to 10" or so above the trunk.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Beck

Quote from: "sirstude"Sum,

Can you go as high as the image with the rear side plates?  I don't have a current rule book, but I thought it was limited to 10" or so above the trunk.

Doug
The following is from the 2013 rule book.
"Wing width including side plates shall not be wider than the outside width of the body. The maximum allowable height of the wing including side plates shall not exceed 65 in. from the ground as measured to the highest part of the wing. The rear of the wing including side plates may not be set back more than 18" behind the rear of the body. The lowest portion of the wing shall be at least 6 in. above the highest point of the body. The total wing area (measured by the fore-to-aft dimension times the side-to-side dimension on the top surface) shall not exceed 1152 square in. Multiple element wings are NOT allowed."

Hooley

From what we read and looked at the wing has to be above the tallest part of the car. I figure that to be the top of the car. This one is about 10" if I remember right.  It can't be more than 65" off the ground.  I figure it is under that. We want know till it is on the ground.

Today I am working on a box to mount the chutes in and sink them into the trunk .  I had some stainless steel left from putting the floors in. I am not real happy with my build.  A box can be hard to get right.

I will mess with it some more this afternoon.

Thanks John forgetting this going you have done a good job.

Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

sirstude

Thanks for the info, and see you all on the salt this summer

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Hooley

Doug, That is good to hear. Will Odde be with you?

Hooley
"Just Glade To Be Here"

sirstude

Odie is coming and we are bringing another "salt virgin" this trip.  Was just talking to Odie yesterday about the trip.  Another friend of our might make the trip out too from Oregon, but won't know until summer.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us