NSRA year change

Started by enjenjo, April 16, 2009, 09:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

At the Mid America Nats this last weekend there was an organized protest.  The group had a canopy set up on the grounds where you could sign a petition.  They even sold windshield decals that says no 30 rule or something like that.  They held up protest banners at the awards assembly.  I thought they did a great job.

A vendor friend of mine spoke with Mr. Walker ( who I understand owns the NSRA ) and during the conversation he mentioned the 30 year rule.  Mr. Walker did not want to talk about it and he was irritated that the subject came up.  The protest seems to be working.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

HotRodLadyCrusr

Here is what they list on their website as their sponsors with email addresses if anyone wants to send an email

Official Sponsors
Hall of Fame Quality: AMSOIL formulates a wide selection of synthetic lubricating oils.  Founded in 1972 by a jet fighter squadron commander, Al Amatuzio, AMSOIL continues to be the leader in synthetic lubrication technology.  www.amsoil.com

Manufacturing U-Joints for over 90 Years: Founded in 1914, Borgeson began by manufacturing universal joints for lathes and milling machines.  Today, Borgeson is the leading manufacturer and supplier of aftermarket steering and universal joints in the Street Rod, Racing, Specialty Automotive and Pickup Truck markets. www.borgeson.com

Quality...Plain and Simple: When Lokar began operations in 1988, the goals were simply to make a better product than what was available.  And now their commitment is to provide the automotive aftermarket enthusiast with the best possible products and service. www.lokar.com

Refinish Systems from PPG are Second-to-None: As the world leader in automotive finishes, PPG has the global resources to offer the latest coating technologies in a full range of systems and products to meet the needs of just about any paint application and environment. www.ppgrefinish.com

The Most Respected Name in Quality Cooling Systems: Specializing in Coolant and Air management packages for the Street Rod and High Performance Automotive field, Walker Radiator Works is recognized as the world leader in cooling system packages. www.walkerradiatorworks.com
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

alchevy

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"At the Mid America Nats this last weekend there was an organized protest.  The group had a canopy set up on the grounds where you could sign a petition.  They even sold windshield decals that says no 30 rule or something like that.  They held up protest banners at the awards assembly.  I thought they did a great job.

A vendor friend of mine spoke with Mr. Walker ( who I understand owns the NSRA ) and during the conversation he mentioned the 30 year rule.  Mr. Walker did not want to talk about it and he was irritated that the subject came up.  The protest seems to be working.

John

Did you see that Vega in the swap meet orange woody? It would make a great car for future NSRA events.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

alchevy

Just read this article from the Springfield, MO newspaper where it said that the next Street Scene will have a lot of info about this subject:
http://www.news-leader.com/article/20090525/NEWS01/905250348/1007/NEWS01/Street+rod+show+entertains
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

bucketmouth

After writing to the NSRA protesting the change back in May I got a reply in the mail today. It was a nicely worded letter thanking me for my past support and hope I continue to do so.
They go on to say it was with overwhelming support they introduced the 30 yr rule. They say it is a family event and want people to participate with their children and grand children. As much as I like that I do have to say I have noticed how very few children are seen at the Nats.
I've only been to the Kentucky Nats, maybe it's different elsewhere I don't know.
As I've said elsewhere I've made a snap decision to go again this year so I'll have to enjoy it that much more.
As far as coming years go I guess I'll have to decide if I want to go again when the time comes.
At least I can say I went to Kentucky when it was truly a pre 1949 Street Rod event.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

38Mike

Bucketmouth, you mentioned "overwhelming support." They've made similar claims in Street Scene.  I'm really wondering where that support came from..I, for one, never saw a survey or was asked AND I haven't found a fellow member yet who really likes the idea. I don't recall ever seeing the idea being bandied about in Street Scene or anywhere.

model a vette

At York there was a definite split between Rodders and Vendors on this subject.
95% of Rodders disliked the change.
95% of the Vendors liked the change.

The Vendors said that the change would get more people in to buy their products.

It may be a moot point for vendors as there are less and less of them at York. I believe NSRA is pricing them out.

Half of the old vendor building was closed.

My wife commented that there was only one Craft building this year (was called Women's World in the past).

My friend spoke with some vendors, who displayed in the past and they said they don't need to spend the money on displaying at York because they get enough exposure from magazine ads.
NSRA raises the vendor prices to keep the money flowing. Eventually that leaves empty vendor spaces. One of my reasons for attending NSRA events was to see and feel the stuff from magazine ads and buy what I like with shipping costs waived because I bought at the event.

I wonder if Vernon Walker will sell more radiators to guys with 49-80 cars.
Ed

alchevy

FOUND:
The builders of the 2010 Giveaway Car!
Go to http://www.msclassiccruisers.com/ and read their July 2009 newsletter. On page 9, there is a sneak picture of the '79 Ford LTD.

It's a low budget operation ...... their lift is a dumpster!

www.astreetrodder.com

papastoyss

Quote from: "Centerline"
Quote from: "model a vette"At York there was a definite split between Rodders and Vendors on this subject.
95% of Rodders disliked the change.
95% of the Vendors liked the change.

The Vendors said that the change would get more people in to buy their products.
I've had some discussions with someone who works the Mequire's booth at the Nats and he is almost overjoyed at the change and rightfully so.  His product can be used by just about anyone and more people translate to more customers.  I have not as yet had a chance to talk to any of the "street rod" vendors who's products are geared to pre-49 years.  I'll wager they are no where near as happy about it.

With the prices the NSRA charges these companies for a booth at the Nats and with them watering down their potential customers I believe you will see less and less "street rod" vendors at the Nats and most other NSRA events in the future.

Quote from: "model a vette"I wonder if Vernon Walker will sell more radiators to guys with 49-80 cars.
He might.  However, my wife made me a really nice "No Stupid 30 Year Rule" T shirt and I plan to wear it and spend a little extra time around Vernon's booth this year.  We may not have any input on the changes the NSRA institutes but we sure can let them know how we feel about them.

I've been attending the Nats for the last 20 years and have not missed a single one but this year will be my last. There's no reason I need to drive from Arizona to Louisville just to see the same cars I can find in my local KMart parking lot.  There is also no reason for me to remain a member of an organization that no longer reflects my interests.
Ha Ha, I had a shirt made that says "I went to the last Real Street Rod Nationals" Betcha we don't appear in Street Scene.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

rumrumm

Quote from: "40chevy"FOUND:
The builders of the 2010 Giveaway Car!
Go to http://www.msclassiccruisers.com/ and read their July 2009 newsletter. On page 9, there is a sneak picture of the '79 Ford LTD.

ROTFLMAO!!!!   I think I found the builders!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Carps

I don't understand why so many are * at NSRA. The way I see it they have to move with the times if they are to survive and prosper as an organisation.

Is the problem just straight up car snobbery or something else?  

Here in Oz the only way our ASRF can survive is to include later model cars.  And we too suffer the snobbery deal as American cars are OK but mono construction Aussie cars of the same vintage are not allowed, since our key rule is that to participate the car must have a separate chassis, unless it has enough body modifications to be deemed a custom.  Yup, Australia's own car, the 1948 Holden (and all others up to 1956 model year as I understand the rules) , can be driven to the NSRA Nats under the current rules.  However these cars are not considered acceptable for the Aussie Street Rod Federation Nationals, because they are not of American origin and built on a separate full chassis.  Stupid eh?

Personally, I find all cars interesting, so I'm not too fussed about cut-off dates for participation.

Equally intersting, I notice that almost all of the hardest of hard core pre '48 rodders have at least one show worthy later model in their garage, a classic, muscle car or whatever they like which is often driven more than their pre '48 ride anyhow.

More members will surely give the NSRA a much better voice in the political arena to help fight stupid legislation, and I fear that's something we're going to need more than we rthink we might as we move forward.

More participants at events will make them more interesting for us all.

And yes, more folks buying the vendors goodies means more goodies for us all and at lower prices than they would need to charge in a market limited by a cut-off year.

The late models at Goodguys events, certainly help to make them more interesting and enjoyable, to me at least.

I've not seen anything at one of those events that I thought was not good enough to be there or not interesting enough to look at.

Also worth consideration is that the dry lakes, especially Bonneville, are considered the heart and soul of hot rodding, yet there is no cut off date for participation in Speed Week.  In fact if you turn up with a car they can't clasify, they'll make a new class for it to run.  No car snobbery there, just good old fashioned hot rodding comeraderie.

Unfortunately I'm nursing a couple of busted ribs, so flying is out of the question at present.  So it looks like I'm gunna hafta wait until next year.  

Personally I can't wait to see the even wider variety of neat old cars at the 41st NSRA Nats.

In 1948, a '32 Ford was just a 16 year old used car.

In 2009, most of the 1932 Fords in the world are brand new reproduction bodies and chassis, with new crate engines and assembled using brand new store bought components.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

moose

Carps,
I am also against the blanket change in years for all NSRA events. I think a large part of the out cry is in how itwas done. There is much reference to "Everybody wants it". But a larger part has to do with the uniqueness of being able of being able to attend an event strictly "street rod". As you stated most have both style cars in the stable. We here in the states are a bit spoiled in that there are miltiple opportunities to attend events that allow any car to come. That is what was special about the NSRA till now. It allowed us to go to a show strictly pre 48. For some I am sure there was "SNOBBERY" but for most it was more a case of narrowing the field to what we wante to look at that day. There are many examples of this limited selection here. Corvetes Cameros Mopars each have events limited to model or brand specific. The limit to pre 49 was why we joined NSRA inthe first place.

Tim

flamefink

I'm not old enough to have lived through the first days of NSRA, but I've heard enough stories from my dad, his friends and other older street rodders to feel like I could have been there.

I can't count the times that I've heard the story about the original 3 divisions of NSRA. These included a Street Machine Division ('49 and up cars), a Truck and Van division, along side the current and only remaining division, the Street Rod division. I'm told that NSRA dropped the two divisions that included late models due to the lack of support and participation. The story I always hear explains how even Street Rodder Magazine used to cover these cars and trucks in the past, but they too phased out the late model crowd due to lack of participation and support.

Now here we are 30+ years later being told that the people who make up those lost divisions of this organization (NSRA) want back in. But of course this time there are no divisions, they just want to take the events that the Street Rodders have supported since day one.

I'm a listener when it comes to the conversations of the older guys. I've heard the stories of how things used to be, and how they (the older guys) have faught over the years to change the bad, support the good, and keep the hobby going. I also recall the long drawn out fight to get the name "Street Rod" recognized and officially defined. That deffinition wich is on the NSRA website redeemed the "Hot Rodders" with pre-49 cars that didn't have intentions of causing trouble on the streets. I've heard too many stories of old hot rodders causing problems on the street, and those who had no ill intentions that were harrassed because of association of car type. At our local and some larger shows, it is usually the later model cars that still stir up trouble. Weather it be show of power on the grounds or racing on near by streets. I know this is calling all of them guilty by association, but in 2010 as street rodders we too again will be guilty by association. All that the founders of our side of the hobby have faught for will be lost in a sea of "everything else".

Carps, I totally understand the point you brought up with Bonneville. I always look at it in technical form and think that the Street Rod Nationals is just like a class at Bonneville. It includes pre 1949 vehicles only, just as the streamliner class includes streamliners only. As for the creating a class if they cant classiffy your car, thats what Goodguys, NOPI and all of these other organizations are for. The car hobby as a whole is just like a giant version of the SCTA. The smaller organizations (Goodguys, NSRA, NOPI, etc..) are nothing more than classes. Your join the one your car fits into. I've never heard of someone with a 4cyl powered fullsize car wanting to compete with the rocket powered cars at Bonneville... it wouldn't make sense, just like a 73 Dodge Dart being called a Street Rod... its just not right!

I really don't care how many times they write "Plus" after Street Rod Nationals (see next years registration form), it will never be the "Street Rod Nationals" again. I'm not saying that I don't support interest after 1948 in the car hobby. I just think there are other events and descriptions for those cars.
Do you need a tetanus shot to ride in that thing?

Flipper

From the 2009 Car Craft Summer Nationals...on the Car Craft website.

30+  ...no thanks.

38Mike

I'm in the middle stages of my first real street rod build.  I haven't been around for a long time to have seen the NSRA in its early throes.  I only know that the ONE thing that convinced me to join was the idea of associating with pre-49sters.  IF an expansion of membership is so crucial (and I'm not sure I believe that), how would the reintroduction of two classes (pre-49 and 49 and up) do?  Would the hard-core "anti-30 year rule" folks be able to live with that??  And, what would it mean to have two classes....a dividing line across the middle of the grounds?  What else would be different? Awards (not an issue to the vast majority of us)? If you want to go to Louisville and not bother going to see 'the other half,' then so be it.  What harm would there be?  Like others, our pre-49 vendors are finding this economic recession a tough road....if some booths were selling Mustang or tri-5 or late model parts, would that really harm our ability to go and see pre-49 vendors?  
I don't like the change, but I could live with it if properly managed.  I am most upset about the apparently false claims of membership support.  I think major events are crucial to the health of our hobby and I think the NSRA does a service to us all by having them.  We must remember that it really is a business investment for Walker and the Budds and whoever else.  They MUST remember, though, that for us members its a matter of comaraderie, common interest and 'fraternal' assistance.  If I abandon the organization when my membership becomes due, it won't be because of the change.  It would be because of the way in which its being done.
See you at Louisville.