48 chevy truck

Started by kb426, September 07, 2022, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

O&S has had enough fun for the day. Whether it turns out to be right or wrong, I welded a panel in where the factory speaker grill was. I filled the 2 holes on the right side of the gauge cluster. I put seam sealer in all of the places that I was aware were in need at this point. Most areas have been sanded with 220 and I started masking to paint the inside and firewall. That took almost a whole day!!!!! :) O&S at it still. LOL.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S took advantage of mild weather and painted the firewall and inside of the cab. I use that term loosely. Doing the inside of the cab is a challenge for me. There's times I almost dig my siphon gun out of the cabinet and see if it will still spray. The cup on top limits where you can be. I painted the floor to help with the adhesion of insulation. On one of the other projects I had some dry overspray. I couldn't get enough glue on that to hold the mat on. Lesson learned, one of many. :) There will be interior panels in many areas on the inside. I painted the console even though my plan is to glue fabric on it.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

Must be the lighting in your picture but the metalflake doesn't show up well . ;D

kb426

TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

The flake must have all blue off. :)

I enjoy witnessing your "push", Bill. A guy has to keep his head in the game to cut the fluff and just accomplish and dismiss project objectives. There are so many project-havers and so few bam done wheres the next one-ers. Selling them off soon and climbing the build ladder may be rewarding but I always have thought I'd like to see you get attached to one and wear it out. So I imagine each one you start will be that keeper. But I'd hate to see you stagnate. I guess having the project stream while also having a trusty sentimental keeper would be the ultimate existence.

Might be more painting weather yet this week so stay the course  and keep siezing opportunity. :)  :arrow:
Matt

kb426

O&S has got them blues. :) Slowly making progress. Weatherman says I have 6 decent days ahead. I hope he's right. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S heard the Rollin Stones sing "when blue turns to gray" today. :) The last of the prepped parts are painted. Everything else needs work. And more work. :) We had 40 mph wind this morning and then it went down. The afternoon wasn't bad.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S tackled the hood sides on the top and the roll pan. There was 2 weld seams on the roll pan plus the end plates to deal with. When I did the center weld seam, it looked so good that I did the full length where I bent the radius. 1st app of primer. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S has had enough bondo. Tomorrow it gets masked and primed. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S used to get Popeye arms from blocking. Now he just gets tired. LOL. 2nd app on doors and 1st app on cab.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

I get Olive Oyl arms that flap in the breeze.
Matt

kb426

The weather god is still being kind to O&S. However, today was not fun. The pics show the hood and roll pan in the 2nd app of primer. The doors had some bad spots that weren't going to clean up so I blocked them and shot the spots for no. 3. Next was the not fun part. Hanging the parts wasn't too bad. Trying to make sure everything is blue was tedious for a blind old guy. :) The cab sat outside this afternoon in the sun. That's my high temp baking booth. :) I know that the paint is supposed to be done catalyzing after 8 hours. Exp. has shown that the primer still shrinks. If I had the privilege of time, it would sit for a week.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

I checked your weather.  Looks like you will have a few more nice days and then it turns to near winter.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

idrivejunk

Bill, you are right about urethane primer surfacer. Build-and-shrink-wise, I consider it as comparable to clearcoat. Have we had the polyester primer talk at some point? As you know, in recent times there has been honing of techniques for most effective labor at this stage.

Been optimal outdoor spraying weather all weekend here. And before, and for another day. We are having a beautimus string of I/O days. Thats when its the same indoors as out. Perfect for being a human.  :)
Matt

kb426

Matt, I tried the P.P. on the bed of the 32. I didn't have a nozzle large enough to spray it well. It was so difficult to sand that I have stayed away. It was Evercoat that I used. I have no idea if I did something incorrectly or it's just that way. Too tough for this old guy. :)
TEAM SMART