48 chevy truck

Started by kb426, September 07, 2022, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I am going to spray epoxy then single stage urethane tomorrow morning.  Wet on wet with no sanding between them.  Keeping my fingers crossed. This is a good place to practice as the top of this vehicle is hardly seen except around the edges. The purpose of this project is to preserve the vehicle more than a cosmetic repair.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

58 Yeoman

Years ago, a guy I worked with had an older Harley, and I agreed to paint his fenders and gas tanks. Black. Everything really came out nice, and when I picked the tanks up by the gas caps, one wasn't tight. BIG ding in that tank.  I took care of it and he was happy.  Those were the days, my friend, I thought they'd never end...
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

O&S started out the day by installing Notchhead parts to hold the hood and bed cover support rods in place. Not cheap but look pretty good. It will be interesting to see how long they last with repeated removal of the rods. :) I blocked the outside of the doors and hood panels. The hood will need one more app of primer. I shot what I believe is the last of the plain blue parts. In case anyone is curious, that was 5 qts. of mixed material on all of the blue parts.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: kb426 on October 22, 2023, 08:33:32 PMMatt, I tried the P.P. on the bed of the 32. I didn't have a nozzle large enough to spray it well. It was so difficult to sand that I have stayed away. It was Evercoat that I used. I have no idea if I did something incorrectly or it's just that way. Too tough for this old guy. :)

The stuff all looks good, nice bright color. 5 qts RTS sounds like pretty good coverage. Curious if you used a sprayout card in the beginning to establish number of coats for full hiding.

Feather Fill isn't a popular choice among PP users. I must have sanded most brands except that one, and detect no difference in sanding. But I sand it just like filler or glaze because thats what it is. 80/180.

The 64 Imp I did around the time I signed up here needed it but I used K36 instead and it cost a lot that way. At work, the reason urethane primer is pretty much used as just sealing coats that get blocked a little is that it shrinks less. The fact many ignore is that like filler, polyester primer sticks just fine on bare metal.

You are right, nozzle has to be big enough for it to turn out smoothish. A 1.8 will do, I believe. Many men add cleanup thinner. Most times I sprayed poly it was HOK or S-W and a splash of DT870 or 885 in the last coat for less texture.
Matt

kb426

Matt, no sprayouts. With the white primer, 2 coats did the job.
O&S block sanded the cab today for the 1st app of primer. I think I can say that I sanded off around 80% of 5 coats of high build primer. The pics are before and after of 2nd app of primer. TB has taken over. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Tired Body? Time for Bed?

Rest well, Popeye. Doin good. :)
Matt

kb426

O&S blocked and painted today. The roll pan and the doors are blue now. The weather wasn't as warm as expected but it was pretty calm. A nat got into the paint right next to the driver's door handle. It's nice that I will get reminded everytime I open the door. LOL.
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

O&S had a light day. 3rd app and 1st app of primer on the hood and grille shell. I believe the vendor of the grille shell was wrinkle city. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S spent the last 2 days blocking the cab, Not finished yet. I spent a couple of hours laying out fuel system and wiring diagrams. The high temp was 36.
TEAM SMART

kb426

This wasn't the pics that O&S wanted to be posting. The cab was marginal after the 2nd blocking. Rather than gamble with results, this is the 2nd app on the grille shell and 3rd on the  cab. The left hood is getting it's 4th.
TEAM SMART

jaybee

This truck is going to be too original, too unique, to half-* it. Love your work.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

O&S got a little accomplished. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Looks slicker'n owl snot on a greased glass doorknob.  8)
Matt

chimp koose

slicker than cow slobber ! 8)  8)