48 chevy truck

Started by kb426, September 07, 2022, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

kb426

O&S is back in the land of boring. At 4am, I was aware that my plan of attack had fatal flaws. A change of plans today has changed the focus on the rear of the cab and the firewall. I'm resigned to the weather shutting me down before I get the cab painted. I need to get the most done to leave the cab on the chassis next year to finish it. :) The pics should be self evident about what I'm doing. :) 
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Where are the bondunes? :)
Matt

kb426

TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

So I think I just noticed the two different colors. The lighting musta threw me. Did you cocktail a couple colors or is there two, or...

Thats how Arkansans ask a question. By trying to get you to finish our sentence.

Anyhow, have you ever sanded down a slightly older Ram, Dakota, or Durango? The chip resistant coating (rock guard) on those things goes halfway up the truck. Thick, but smooth.

Pre-paint rock guard could be sprayed fairly smooth and faded out higher than a guy normally expects to see rock guard. There used to be a clear 3M aerosol for pre-paint that was pretty smooth.

But in the here and now, auto part and home improvement stores, and Walmart, have clear Duplicolor and Rustoleum Rock Guard that can be peeled off. Because its all clear Plasti-Dip. I imagine that whether you covered either paint or epoxy with it, that such a product could be your new buddy.  :)
Matt

58 Yeoman

It seems that when I did my 58 Yeoman in the early 90's, I had used a spray can of "paint softener" that you could use in the deep door jambs so you wouldn't have to sand the old paint. Is there still such a thing?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

Matt, there is 2 colors, the blue metallic and the solid color that on the Kirker chart is called coastal blue. I'll look into the chip guard. That will be needed. :)
O&S was at his usual speed. The chassis is back on wheels. It sure takes longer to assemble than disassemble. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Phil, I'm unaware if there is. I used a wipe on product for household use but it wouldn't have had enough strength for auto finishes. I try real hard to prime and paint door jambs after blasting and not mess up because they are so tedious for me. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Bill, OK. Got it. Thats kinda snazzy yeah!  :)

Phil, search term "adhesion promoter". Bulldog brand has been around a long time. No application for it here though yep.
Matt

enjenjo

've used Bulldog, but only on plastic interior panels, when I am dyeing them. It works great for that
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Thanks for the replies on the adhesion promoter.  I'm not restoring the Corvair, just making it road worthy and hopefully looking good.  Whoever painted the white car red didn't do a good job in the door jambs.  I will be taking the doors off, and will fight that dog when it's time, I guess.

Phil

kb426

O&S plodded along. The engine is back in, driveline, trans has oil, I was able to find the bolt in the accessory drive where the lift chain was in place. :) The battery cables are run and holders for brake and fuel lines. I ran the exhaust and I'm going to do some changes. The left side is too close to the e-brake connection. I can add 4.5" to the header pipe and move the mufflers reward and accomplish 2 items. The 1st is some clearance, the 2nd is I had planned on using the floor of the cab for muffler hangers. Moving them will allow a hanger from somewhere on the chassis that has no connection to the cab. I ordered some bubble flare parts when I realized I had depleted my stock. LOL.
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

Bill, you really work fast.

Phil

jaybee

Looking great, making progress. It's great that you value getting things right over getting things done, to the point where you do things over when needed. The yesterday I was having a conversation with my brother over the way some builders are all too willing to put bad, sometimes even dangerous work on the road. especially if it's hidden underneath the car.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

O&S removed the header pipes and added 4" to the length. The exhaust is in need of rear hangers, the rest is finished. We all have heard about brake caliper corrosion on corvettes so I kitted the front calipers, installed new pads and hoses. One less item on the list.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S plodded along today. I mounted the front sway bar. It's powder coated so I decided to leave it black for easy of maintenance. I ran out of gold 12 points so I used black oxide bolts. Not impressive. I mounted the inlet air temp sensor in the air cleaner flange. The throttle body is in a different location from an explorer so I had to deloom some wires and lengthen the IAC wiring. It's loomed back up. The radiator supports are back on. SHort of muffler hangers, brake and fuel lines, I think the chassis is finished. I took and hour and put it in the shed outback. That requires a little manual labor. :) With all of the paint work to do, it needed to be out of the way. Now it's back to Mr. Bondo and seeing if I can get some paint in a few areas before I call it quits and start assembling the truck for the winter.
TEAM SMART