RRT project

Started by enjenjo, January 10, 2009, 08:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Batto rebuilt the car a few years back...  or created a replica , I forget which.

Spindle mount wheels would be expensive.... need brakes on all 4 corners?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

unklian

Quote from: "Crosley".... need brakes on all 4 corners?

Not sure if drag cars are required to have 4 wheel brakes.

Might fall under common sense though. Cheap insurance.

Leon

You don't use the brakes much anyway, that's what the chute is for.

unklian

Brakes help with staging, burnouts, etc.

39deluxe

Quote from: "GPster"I haven't got to check on any of my ideas except one. I know where there is some old oil well eguipment. I thought that one piece  was an old militay truck with tamdem axels on the rear and might have been an International but it was GMC.  GPster

If this was an old GMC gas engine military 2 1/2 ton it probably had a 302 Jimmy in it AND if it was one of the last gas engined 2 1/2s  (mid 50s) it may have a GMC manufactured 12 port head on it. It was a military use only head and rather rare. I would be more excited about a 12 port 302 Jimmy that some engine that there is absolutely no speed equipment for.

Tom

purplepickup

I haven't offered much input on this but I think it could be a good idea and will throw out some of my opinions.  I figured I'd let the smart guys get the ball rolling and see what comes up.  

I like the idea of using a Crosley and those that Doug found sound real interesting.  

Personally, I think a basic, low budget build would be best to start with....something simple, safe, and homegrown.  A drag car with SBC (or similarly common engine) would probably be the least expensive with lots of options.    Remember Samiyam's Roach Rod build?  Very low buck but lots of fun. If we set a fairly easy, acheivable goal I think we could have fun and get to know each other better.  

If we let it get too complicated in the beginning I think there will be less people wanting to get involved.  I know I'd enjoy going to a few laid back builds where we could all use a bit of our talents but keep a pleasant social air to it.  Complicated, technical race cars can be frustrating to have a bunch of people with different ideas, without problems.  Plus the dollar investment can get carried away pretty quick.  

There's a lot of talent here and if we can focus on having a fun build we might even end up with a cool car to play with.
George

enjenjo

You make sense George.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

Quote from: "purplepickup"Very low buck but lots of fun.

That sounds good.

If the car was designed to accept a variety of motors,
big block, small block, inline 6, etc , then people have
the flexibility to run what they want.

Need to find the NHRA cage/chassis regs.

unklian

NHRA requirements based on ET:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/880990-what-do-i-need-safety-requirements-nhra-rollbar-rollcage-harness-etc.html
Basically: 12.00 or slower, less than 135 mph, all you "need"
is a helmet and drive shaft hoop, on a closed car.

---

From the sound of this discussion, ECTA (Maxton NC) is not as fussy as SCTA on cages.
http://forums.hotrod.com/70/1358532/top-speed-challenge/rollcage-requirements/index.html

river1

Quote from: "unklian"NHRA requirements based on ET:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/880990-what-do-i-need-safety-requirements-nhra-rollbar-rollcage-harness-etc.html
Basically: 12.00 or slower, less than 135 mph, all you "need"
is a helmet and drive shaft hoop, on a closed car.

---

From the sound of this discussion, ECTA (Maxton NC) is not as fussy as SCTA on cages.
http://forums.hotrod.com/70/1358532/top-speed-challenge/rollcage-requirements/index.html

for the purpose of this discussion i think on the subject of safety we need to err on the side of more rather then less. what with multiple drivers and multiple moter sizes.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

unklian

Yes, I agree. That is why I put "need" in quotes.

river1

Quote from: "unklian"Yes, I agree. That is why I put "need" in quotes.

i "need" to read a little closer sometimes :lol:  :lol:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

GPster

Quote from: "river1"for the purpose of this discussion i think on the subject of safety we need to err on the side of more rather then less. what with multiple drivers and multiple moter sizes. later jim
Also to further that discussion, I don't think Nostalgic cars are running nostalgic times. That Crosley that is the current model is still running in nostalgic racing. They put an expensive motor in it with a blower on it and are running it in the 7s. I was checking Google for drag racing Crosleys and it jumped at me. I have been shown the trick on how-to keep "Pop Rivets" evenly spaced so I suppose I can help you go as fast as you want to go. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "river1"for the purpose of this discussion i think on the subject of safety we need to err on the side of more rather then less. what with multiple drivers and multiple moter sizes. later jim
Also to further that discussion, I don't think Nostalgic cars are running nostalgic times. That Crosley that is the current model is still running in nostalgic racing. They put an expensive motor in it with a blower on it and are running it in the 7s. I was checking Google for drag racing Crosleys and it jumped at me. I have been shown the trick on how-to keep "Pop Rivets" evenly spaced so I suppose I can help you go as fast as you want to go. GPster

Joe...  how does evenly spaced pop rivets make a car go fast?

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

It's an inside/outside thing between me and George on the BBQ trailer. Because I only worked on one side I'd guess anything I worked on would only be half-fast. GPster