RRT project

Started by enjenjo, January 10, 2009, 08:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

That is a possibility too. I was expecting more discussion on this. So far, there has been none to speak of. I am not married to this idea, but if you have another, speak up.

I liked the idea of the electric racer, but I don't see much room for innovation once it's built. With a racer like this, it could be electric powered when that group has the car, and IC powered when another group has it.

I want someting different enough that people will remember that bunch of idiots on the internet.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I was surprised there was no discussion on CHAT last night. I'm also surprised that there is no more attention to this site than there is. I like the idea of doing something and I like the idea about thinking of doing something. You see what kind of ideas I come up with with-out any direction so a little discussion on this subject might help warm weather come quicker. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

wheel base?  Longer is more stable on salt or asphalt.

Body;  do we want a body that covers all 4 tyres or only the back 2 or none?

Narrow body; this would help speeds at both formats

More standard width body;  Less cost on some items maybe (Narrowed rear differential) ?

Would we look for a unfinished project to save time and (?)  money ?  

OR just start project  from scratch so it is all RRT built?

Trailer;  tandem axle type are more stable IMHO.  I prefer Electric brakes on both axles
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"wheel base?  Longer is more stable on salt or asphalt.                        

If you need to stretch something for an engine like a 372 cube International straight six it needs to be done and keep from the cowl back a stock profile

Body;  do we want a body that covers all 4 tyres or only the back 2 or none    

Covers all four tires

Narrow body; this would help speeds at both formats

Newer bodies are suppose to have sitting for  four people

More standard width body;  Less cost on some items maybe (Narrowed rear differential) ?  

A narrow body like a Crosley with slab sides would have a narrower tread width than a body that has fenders that stick out from the body. There was some talk of a sprint car style of quick change

Would we look for a unfinished project to save time and (?)  money ?

The idea was statred because of the need for us to get together and do something  

OR just start project  from scratch so it is all RRT built?

Trailer;  tandem axle type are more stable IMHO.  I prefer Electric brakes on both axles

These are just some of the things I was looking at with my suggestion of that Volvo.Your ideas are rightand are the things I had in mind when I made that suggestion but if it's not right that's OK. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Joe,

I edited your post with my 'quoted paragraphs" in it.. I changed your words to blue so folks would see what your added comments  to my words.  :D
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I am thinking 120" wheelbase. This is long enough for good handling, enough room for any powerplant, and should have good weight bias. A basic rail frame with a four link or ladder bars in the rear and coil over shocks,  straight axle in the front. Cage and bracing as required.

I like the crosley coupe body, it has good aero for the most part, and is a bit traditional for drag racing. For the drags, with a narrow rear end, the wheelwells could be cut out for tire clearance. for Bville, stock quarters and narrow tires can be used for streamlining. For the drags, a stock front end, or no front end with the front tires outside the body. For  LSR a stretched nose with full coverage.

A trailer is easy. I have built a bunch of them. Some of them even enclosed.

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"Joe,I edited your post with my 'quoted paragraphs" in it.. I changed your words to blue so folks would see what your added comments  to my words.  :D
Yea! but you didn't correct my speeling. Thanks for the clarification , I hoped it would come out that way but I didn't know. I hope you didn't take offence because it certainly wasn't meant that way. GPster

Ohio Blue Tip

Been busy of late, but like the plan, let's build something.
I like the rail type long wheelbase idea.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

sirstude

I checked with a friend of mine yesterday that has 2 Crosleys, one is an old Shriners car and is pretty bad, but complete and the other is a nice solid car.  This is the sedan that has a bit of a trunk on it.  He paid a grand for them with 3 motors, and might be interested in selling.  

He also mentioned that there is another body, the one that looks like a wagon, in Casper WY for 100 bucks.  I will have to talk to another guy I know to find out exactly where it is.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

GPster

I haven't got to check on any of my ideas except one. I know where there is some old oil well eguipment. I thought that one piece  was an old militay truck with tamdem axels on the rear and might have been an International but it was GMC. The other piece that I thought might provide a power plant was a Brockway. My other lead for thise engines was a guy that sold his Harley Davidson dealership recently. He's probably gone someplace warm for the winter. Because of my hearing and speech I don't do phone calls very well . I prefer to do my checking in person so the other leads are covered with ice and snow. If the ideas become ordinary I might donate a 4 bolt main 350 to the project. GPster

enjenjo

That Crosley sedan sounds interesting.

I had a phone conversation with Sum last night, he is busy with his new boat, air powered. He likes the Crosley sedan, but suggested that a late Geo Metro coupe might be better for the salt. Looking at profile pictures, they are similar, we might be able to use one of them too. the problem with a Metro body, it would not fit nastalgia class at the drags.

We may just have to go one way or the other. In that case I like a drag car, but that's just me.

unklian

enjenjo

Quote from: "unklian"

That is just what I have in mind.

GPster

Quote from: "unklian"More here:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324126
I looked at all the pictures on that site and I can see and feel the nostalgic look around those Crosleys. There isn't the same feeling around all those foreign bodies ( even the Volvos ). Even the Metropolitan doesn't catch me that way. The tri-five Chevys capture the gasser feeling but the "Altered" look of the Crosley kind of defines it's purpose. I'll work some more on this endtowards that end. GPster