Its the weekend are you gonna do anything?

Started by Dave, January 06, 2007, 09:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carps

It's Sunday, no wimmin here today so I guess that means I can get stuck into the water pump.

Or should I deal with the rather longish grass?

Waterpump is sounding good.   :wink:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

sirstude

A couple of pictures from our rod run.  Just click on them.  One of these days I will take the time to figure out how to make Webshots show correctly on the page.

Doug

1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Carps

Well, dodn't get the water pump installed.

Happened like this.

Noticed a couple of marks in the aluminium body.

So....

Got the dremel out and had a little grind.

Found a few more 'imprfections' and ground some more.

The grinder left some marks, so they had to be hand sanded out.

Looked kinda smooth.

So......

Mounted the polishing whell on to dremel.

Now it looks kinda shiney.

Used lotsa different polishing tools and stuff......

WOW, will ya look at that, it's very dark and I've missed my dinner.

But may water pump is all smooth and shiney.   :roll:

Tomorrow I'll prolly decide to paint it to match the engine.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Oh, and I noticed a 'problem' with the fuel filter connetion on the fuel line, so since I have it all to bits and accessible I guess I should fix that.

Getting the oil filter off is very easy when the radiator is out, so I should change the oil too.

And will ya just look at that, the oil pump had an aluminium body too, it should polish up all nice and shiney like the water pump.

Polishing the fuel pump didn't take too long.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Hafta go to the bolt shop before reassemply as a couple of the bolts don't match and plished stainless unbrakos kinda look kool.  Button heads will be good for the fan.

And while I'm at it, I always wanted to chrome the alternator bracket and adjuster, they just don't look right painted.......

Somehow, I think replacing the water pump will take longer and cost more than I anticipated.  Why is it so?   :?
Carps

UGLY OLDS

[Somehow, I think replacing the water pump will take longer and cost more than I anticipated.  Why is it so?   :?[/quote]

Hey Carps....I'll trade ya :!:  :!:  I built my kid's car in '88 & it still seems to be under "warranty" :shock:  :shock:  ( And no, it's NOT a "Hyundai" ) :roll:  :roll:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

58 Yeoman

I've been remodeling my kitchen.  I stripped the upper cabinets, and am installing oak doors in place of the old ones.  Problem is, I've sanded the doors with 100, 120, and 320, and the grain still raises up on the first coat of primer.  After sanding, I blew off all the dust with air, then wiped with mineral spirits.  

Any ideas?  I still have to do all the lower cabinets.  I didn't want oak, as I'm painting them anyway, but they don't seem to sell anything else at the home centers.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

What are you using for primer? I use shellac for the first couple coats to seal the wood.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Zinsser Fast Prime2, latex primer/sealer.

Phil

Carps

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
Quote from: "Carps"Somehow, I think replacing the water pump will take longer and cost more than I anticipated.  Why is it so?   :?

Hey Carps....I'll trade ya :!:  :!:  I built my kid's car in '88 & it still seems to be under "warranty" :shock:  :shock:  ( And no, it's NOT a "Hyundai" ) :roll:  :roll:

Hey Ugly, carefeul what ya wish for.

You really wanna trade your kid for mine?

The warranty ran out years ago and I have been paying 'full service fees' ever since.  Man, the upkeep is killing me!  So, I'll happily trade on one that's still under warranty and I can send some of the bills back to 'the factory'.   :wink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Carps

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Problem is, I've sanded the doors with 100, 120, and 320, and the grain still raises up on the first coat of primer.  

Any ideas?  I still have to do all the lower cabinets.  I didn't want oak, as I'm painting them anyway

Phil, there are a couple ways to handle this.

(1) Use a solvent or oil-base primer instead of a latex primer.  ......You can still topcoat with latex.

(2) Before the final sanding, wet the wood with a damp cloth to deliberately raise the grain.  .....Let it dry before sanding again.  ....The final sanding will remove the fuzzies, and the grain is less likely to raise again. .....On some woods, re-wetting and re-sanding is necessary.

(3) Oak is an open-pore wood, and often the pores will telegraph through the final finish.

Since you are painting, and not staining the oak, I would suggest a visit to an art/craft supply store to purchase artists' Gesso.  

Gesso is a white, high-solids filler in a water-based solution.  

One or two coats of gesso can be applied to the raw, UN-sanded oak, which will fill the pores and raise the grain.  .....Once the gesso dries (fairly quickly), you can sand with 180 or 220 grit, and end up with a glass-smooth surface to apply your topcoat.  .....You do not need a primer on top of the gesso.

I'm lazy, and I look for the easiest way to do a good job.  ....I think this method will cut down on the amount of sanding you will have to do, and give you a smoother surface for your topcoat.

Gesso should NOT be used if the wood is to be stained, or a clear finish will be applied to bare wood.

(4) Frank's suggestion of shellac is also valid.  ......However, comercially-prepared shellac is VERY sensitive to shelf-life.  .....If you have a can of shellac left from a previous project, test it on a piece of scrap to be sure it will dry properly!  .....Old shellac often fails to dry, and leaves a gummy mess on the surface.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Dave

Well I worked all afternoon after i got home from the Little 500. It was a great race again but we left friday afternoon to try and take in the hoosier hundred and it got rained out! I was gonna stop at rob and debbs but i was thinking about what i had to do and drove right by.. Well actually we stopped and had breakfast at dupont road.. Got home unloaded the car turned on the indy race and pulled the kids car apart for inspection.  Just needed an oil change and repair tot he drain plug. Got lucky and found a plastic washer to fit it cause the other one was cracked and it was leaking. Got some new pads for the front and put them in and its all done. Thta gives me today to wash the harley and maybe wash sue's car too. Ive gotta round up the extra material for the coupe and get it ready for departure too. * soon as the deal is done and i get the room back in the garage ill be working on the roadster.
Dave
ps: Happy memorial day

58 Yeoman

Frank, Bruce, thanks for the ideas.  There is a craft mall near here, they might sell the gesso, I'm not sure.  Only been there once or twice.  I'll resand the doors that I primered yesterday, but the other ideas will be great once I get to the base cabinets....plus the french door replacements for the front of the house.

BTW, my GF's daughter is in from Fort Collings, CO, and has to leave today.  Her beemer's cooling fan took a dump last night.  She's going to bring it by so I can see if the dodge minivan electric fans I have in the basement will work until she gets back to CO.

Phil

enjenjo

Tore down the 200R4 I am using in the Buick, pretty nice shape, nothing burned up. I have to go in the morning, and pick up a few parts, and I can put it together.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

KustomLincolnLady

rode 200 miles on the bike  :lol: , have sore butt, LOL came home and been doing yard work since about 5:30. couldn't do anything outside yesterday and sat :(

going to drive the mustang around the neighborhood before step B comes to get it :(  

I'll be going to bed early tonight, I'm wore out!!!! :P

Rex Schimmer

Big weekend to get something done on the roadster! Fabridated an air cleaner, got the injection throttle linkage done, make fairing for injectors and got the hydraulic clutch to function (still work to do on it though)

Couple of picks of the progress.

Rex

58 Yeoman

Craft mall only has completed crafts, no supplies.  Got some shellac based primer at Menards.  Re-sanded the doors and reprimed; got the first coat on the inside of final color.

Took the fan out of the Beemer and called around.  Can't find one on a Holiday; she'll try again tomorrow.  She doesn't have to leave now until Wednesday, so I didn't modify the dodge fan to fit.

Time to relax.

Phil