Its the weekend are you gonna do anything?

Started by Dave, January 06, 2007, 09:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bugpac

Well tomorrow the 32 chassis is going to start to take shape :D

Thanks again Charlie!!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

Dave

Quote from: "Bugpac"Well tomorrow the 32 chassis is going to start to take shape :D

Thanks again Charlie!!

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet...

Im in here real quick....
Thanks to charliechops and the dimensions he gave me i have the trunk arm installed and i got the trunk opening cable installed. Got a call yesterday from the guy making the rolled pan that ill mod for the body to tank clearance and he asked sue if it was a coupe or a roadster.. Also asked  how soon i needed it and said it would prolly ship next week  :?:  :?:  :?:  Works for me..
Ordered a red metal flake wheel and im bidding on a license plate frame with a 3rd brake light like i always run.. I working on the head lights and i went to the paint store yesterday and bought some more etch primer in a spray bomb and some hi fill same way.. All SEM stuff .. While i was workin on the other stuff i worked on the headlights ,, They need a little scuffing and filling then more hi fill and we should be good to go..
The wind is howling here and it sucks but ive got gin and tonic so im good..... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Later
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

enjenjo

Well, after a couple false starts, the LT1 engine is in the 57 Nomad. I had to take it back out twice for clearance issues on the accessories. Still lots of work to do, but the big stuff is done.

I fixed the wife's coat rack today, needed some husband points, I'm going to take it easy until after tuesday.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

I worked on the track roadster pickup all weekend.

Rethought battery cable routing and connections at the battery end. I have ends on the cable to over a stud on the cable clamp. When I went to remove the clamps the ultra cheap No. 10 metric bolt in each snapped. Removed another metric wrench requirement by drilling the holes to 1/4". Done.

When I last had the car out - a year ago last September I still had my plexiglass windshield patterns in the w/s frame. I got glass made this week and installed it yesterday afternoon. That's all better.

I dabbed some minor hanger rash today and started applying some cleaner/wax. This car is a real basic single stage urethane with some, shall we say, orange peel and other minor flaws. I don't intend to sand and rub it out. Instead I will step back and admire it as if I had applied it in 1953 with Mom's Electrolux vac (the one that came with all the attachments - including some that looked suspiciously like marital aids).

That was all fun, so I will load some more CD's after supper and do some more. Who knew that getting ready for any indoor car show could be so much fun?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Dave

Looking forward to seeing it at G/R Charlie.. Sue and I are gonna take a run up I hope and maybe well bring Bugpac along too..  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bugpac

Quote from: "jusjunk"Looking forward to seeing it at G/R Charlie.. Sue and I are gonna take a run up I hope and maybe well bring Bugpac along too..  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
I probbaly will be following, as i have a wife and 2 little ones that are going along as well!! :D

phat rat

I'm jealous, you guys are getting work done and all I'm doing is selling things.  :lol: The 454 Suburban I bought Thurs is all gone except for the radiator plus I sold the other 454 this afternoon. :D
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Bugpac

Quote from: "phat rat"I'm jealous, you guys are getting work done and all I'm doing is selling things.  :lol: The 454 Suburban I bought Thurs is all gone except for the radiator plus I sold the other 454 this afternoon. :D

Id sure rather be selling!!

phat rat

I've bought and parted three 454 Burbs since the first of Oct, Still have some parts to sell, one 4 core radiator, two tilt columns and 8 tires and wheels. But I'm ahead money wise and still have a 454 for the new hot rod
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

alchevy

Been putting together a 10'x14' metal building I bought from Home Depot several years ago. It's been sitting there gathering rust ever since, so it's going to need a new paint job before I fill it up with stuff.

Going to clean out my carport and put what I keep in the new metal building. Then the carport will be turned into a garage. Already have a concrete floor and a roof overhead and two walls, so it will be a small project.

On Saturday, we got most of the work done on the metal building and got to a stopping point before the thunderstorm came through. Will finish it up on Monday.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Carps

Well, I figure since it's a long weekend (I'm not due back at the saltmines until Jan 7th), I should build another car.

So, I started a fresh model project!  Why, when there's three or five half finished cars of differing scales waiting to get done?

Honest answer, I dunno, just seems like a good idea.  However, this is one I've wanted to do for some time so I just kinda got started and it includes some mod's I've not attempted before so it's kinda challenging.

The project is a sixties style show rod.  It's based on the AMT '34 coupe with the filler panel removed from the door to make it a '33.  

Engine will be the blown Olds from the original Revell Beatnik Bandit.  Rear wheels & tyres are from Lill Coffin (reissue), fronts are 12 spokes from AMT '56 Ford Victoria with aftermarket tyres from my stash.  Rear end is made up of the spring from Revell '30 A coupe, aftermarket disc brakes and a 'Parts Box' resin cast early Halibrand quick-change.  The drive-shaft and wishbones are from the '34 kit.  

Front axle is a Scale Dreams dropped superbell in white-metal.  However this may be changed for a chromed beam axle unit and I'm still undecided on hairpins,split 'bones or four bar.  Grille shell will be a filled '32 Ford unit.

So, the first order of business was to modify the chassis to suit the quick-change with A spring arrangement and Olds engine with Hydro.  

With the body in place it looks close to perfect, although I think it needs to be a little different (symetrical) around the transmission area.

Of course being a sixties style rod it needed at least a Frenched rear license, which came from the AMT '36 Ford coupe kit and I decided on Cadillac Bullet tailamps (from the AMT 49 Merc).

Getting the profile right required some mod's to the body for clearance around the cowl and in the rear wheel-housings.  

However, the biggest change is to the interior tub which has a pie section removed so the body is only slightly channelled at the rear and more severely so at the cowl.

I usually fill or leave top inserts alone, but in keeping with the sixties theme I figured it has have a pleated top insert.  So a few half round strips of evergreen and viola!

I'm having fun doing this one so far and think the paint will be some kind of lime green cany/pearl.  Interior should be predominantly white with green highlights.  Not sure about buckets or the kit's hot rod bench with T&R insert.  Chassis will most likely be painted white and other bits green metallic like the engine and/or chrome.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Dave

Very nice Carps.. I never did finish my 32 coupe model! Its winter too.. Ill have to think a little harder on that
Dave

Dave

Well lets see.. Its 4:55 pm xmas day.. I just came in from the garage.. I cut the headlight conduit to length and fooled around with some other minor things all day.. A little or maybe a lot off topic my Ham radio antenna has problems.. Hopefully its just a feed line problem and ill have to hire someone this spring to go up the tower. Sue is headed for Virgina and im surfing the net.. Tomorrow im taking the windshield frame in for glass.. I cant finish the headlights till i get back to work as i need a couple bushings and I dont have a lathe here :(  Ill pick up the smaller wire i need tomorrow cause i gotta hit the parts store for some 5/16 rubber fuel line.. Looks like next is a seat cover and interior stuff.. I gotta get hold of ezboyz..... Then its think about the big bucks for a top .. Im getting there but Bill has me beat and he prolly got all the rest of the things he needed for xmas..
Dave

Danimal

I'm on vaca until the 2nd so we're hitting my 14 year old son's 54 Chevy truck/S10 frame/build it yourself project. We got the trans mocked up with the floor trimmed out of the 'mock up' cab today. Got started moving the motor mounts back. Need to 'modify' a 15 mm wrench to get to the hard spots. Hope to have the engine/trans in tomorrow. Need to make a new cross  member/trans mount for this because it sits like hell right now with the one that was in it and with the NV3500 5 speed, it is coming out right at the frame joint where the boxing ends.

Looks like the back edge of the motor will be 2" off the stock firewall. This gives enough clearance for the dizzy to turn quite a bit (HEI). The trans is another 27 1/2 back so the shifter is about perfect as far as fore/aft but 1st gear is going to be close to the steering wheel. That will change with a little heat. We are going to make our own shifter from an old 1 1/2 ton truck anyway to go onto it.

Beats eating leftover turkey and watching bad bowl games.

Dave

Quote from: "Danimal"I'm on vaca until the 2nd so we're hitting my 14 year old son's 54 Chevy truck/S10 frame/build it yourself project. We got the trans mocked up with the floor trimmed out of the 'mock up' cab today. Got started moving the motor mounts back. Need to 'modify' a 15 mm wrench to get to the hard spots. Hope to have the engine/trans in tomorrow. Need to make a new cross  member/trans mount for this because it sits like hell right now with the one that was in it and with the NV3500 5 speed, it is coming out right at the frame joint where the boxing ends.

Looks like the back edge of the motor will be 2" off the stock firewall. This gives enough clearance for the dizzy to turn quite a bit (HEI). The trans is another 27 1/2 back so the shifter is about perfect as far as fore/aft but 1st gear is going to be close to the steering wheel. That will change with a little heat. We are going to make our own shifter from an old 1 1/2 ton truck anyway to go onto it.

Beats eating leftover turkey and watching bad bowl games.

Ya or pinks all out again for the 400th time..
Bugpac came over today with a camera and a measuring stick :!:  :?: I guess he didnt think i had or could use one..  :?:  We got some dimensions he needed and shot the S^&t for a few hours and after he left i finished the headlight wiring .. Oh ya before he got to my place I took the windshield frame down for glass. They told me it would be a fill in job.. I told them no problemo i dont need it  that quick..  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: Ill pick it up tomorrow.. I changed the oil in the step daughters car as she is with sue in VA and thats about it for today..  So tomorrow is get the windshield and hopefully the weather isnt too bad cause i also washed my truck and its pretty again.. Ill play in the garage tomorrow then were off to ft wayne for the races friday.. Be back sunday...
Dave