Its the weekend are you gonna do anything?

Started by Dave, January 06, 2007, 09:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danimal

Worked on Court's truck a little on Saturday. Had a family bonfire before the kids went off to school. Sunday loaded up and went to Columbus to buy a '46 Chevy Stylemaster 4 door sedan. Alleged runner. The guy wasn't ready when I got there and then messing around with it made the water pump leak.

Enjenjo helped me out a bit on the phone and I ended up bringing her home. Hope to fire tomorrow night. She'll be the donor to get the Sedan Delivery going. Starting with a 'resto rod' type set up.

My nephew found another S10 with a 4.3/auto and he needed the rear end. I'm going to probably take what's left and put the other '54 parts on it since it ran and drive up until about 4 pm when they pulled the rear out from under it! I'm getting it for scrap price since he's going back to MSU tonight!

GPster

Quote from: "Danimal"My nephew found another S10 with a 4.3/auto and he needed the rear end. I'm going to probably take what's left and put the other '54 parts on it since it ran and drive up until about 4 pm when they pulled the rear out from under it! I'm getting it for scrap price since he's going back to MSU tonight!
Don't let him throw away any of the brake pieces of the junk rear end, especially the emergency brake cables. Most everybody is going to the 4 x 4 rear ends for the extra width ( 58") and I believed them so I've got a rear out of an '87 S15 GMC with 3.70 : 1 that will nees to find a new home. GPster

Danimal

Yeah, too late, he already gutted the rear. I could have killed him. I've got 2 or 3 of those that would have fit right into his truck out here. He only paid $200 for the whole thing and drove it home. The gas tank leaks so they could only go a few miles so they were going to scrap the truck! It has air!!

I'll tell him to save the brakes, anyway. I hope they didn't just cut the cables but I have a suspicion. I need them, too!

GPster

I hope he didn't take a torch to the "U" bolts. Working on these things is like working on an early British motorcycle. Some say that all the "U" bolts, shock bolts and spring anchor bolts are 12mm and some say 9/16 btu neither seems right. I ran a 9/16 dei on mine and new bolts and lock washers and when I think it's the last assembly I'l probably "Locktite" everything. Do you use the truck gas tank or the Blazer tank? the back of the jeepster body is so short now (8" rust removal) with the Blazer tank it might be a cousin to a Pinto. A flatbed truck might be better though. GPster

Danimal

I've used the Blazer tank in Court's truck. I was thinking the same for this one as well. Still quite a bit of impact space but you are right, it wouldn't be pretty for an * ender! I think I'll look at some more safety for my kid's truck as well as a fire extinguisher mounted behind the seat.

I used all of the brackets from the Blazer on ours as well. Crossmembers and all.

enjenjo

I took two housings down to Moser today to be narrowed, and have axles made for them. They are super people to deal with. The guy I dealt with is an engineer  who runs the shop, and when I got there, he was sweeping floors, that impressed me.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Well I didn't accoomplish anything this weekend worthy of my own spread with pictures but I did close up a big hole. Back in the days of the SBC I neede to recess the Jeepster's firewall. I had set aside a wheelbarrow tub but destiny had provided me with another option. When we bought the house next door end tore it down one of the things I saved was the door off an old refrigerator. This door was one of the ones that have since been outlawed, the kind with a latching handle. It made a nice sunken firewall but it certainly was over-kill behind a 2.5L four. Going through a health food's back yard I ransomed a metal cabinet with an 18 ga. back-slash. Now it appears kind of second rate but 60 3/18" pop rivets later I have a flat firewall again. Now I have to figure out where to cut holes in it for the steering column. I want to get that done this week so I can warn everyone coming to Kalamazoo what Double D pieces I need out of their junk. GPster

phat rat

Nothing car wise. But I did save $1275 on a new snow blower. LOL I bought a new lawn tractor this spring and the blower mounting frame wouldn't work on the new one. It does now. Made brackets to mount it and lengthened it 4".  I also had to cut the handle that lifts the blower and extend it out 3' to clear the sides. The reason I say I saved $1275 is no one makes an undercarriage to mount the old blower to the new tractor, so I would've had to buy both blower and undercarriage
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Rayvyn

Quote from: "phat rat"Nothing car wise. But I did save $1275 on a new snow blower. LOL I bought a new lawn tractor this spring and the blower mounting frame wouldn't work on the new one. It does now. Made brackets to mount it and lengthened it 4".  I also had to cut the handle that lifts the blower and extend it out 3' to clear the sides. The reason I say I saved $1275 is no one makes an undercarriage to mount the old blower to the new tractor, so I would've had to buy both blower and undercarriage

Jeez, what you mugs have to go through to get ready for winter... :(

Our biggest concern is whether to put on long pants or not... :wink:  8)  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

phat46

Jeez, what you mugs have to go through to get ready for winter... :(

Our biggest concern is whether to put on long pants or not... :wink:  8)  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:[/quote]  

...and cover all the glass with wood or metal, then evacuate!!!!!  :P

BFS57

Hello;
What Am I doing this weekend! First I am reporting to our local hospital (Orlando Regional) at 5 AM for my date with destiny! Having my hip replaced by 8 AM. Then it's on to recovery, followed by lousey hospital food!
Of course nothing getting done on any cars but I can't get around very well anymore so it is time!
I need this to be 100% wish me luck, I need it!

Bruce

enjenjo

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
What Am I doing this weekend! First I am reporting to our local hospital (Orlando Regional) at 5 AM for my date with destiny! Having my hip replaced by 8 AM. Then it's on to recovery, followed by lousey hospital food!
Of course nothing getting done on any cars but I can't get around very well anymore so it is time!
I need this to be 100% wish me luck, I need it!

Bruce

Good luck. My dad has had 7 hip replacements. The first one was 30 years ago. He overstressed 5 and broke them, the last one 4 years ago. He is now 85 years old, and still bowls 3 times a week. He has only broken one since he retired in 87.

39deluxe

I'm on vacation this week and so far I haven't gotten any car work done. I have been working outside getting things done before it cools off. If I get the shop cleaned and organized by Sunday I'll be in good shape to get to work again.

My wife is in AZ this week visiting her mom so there is nobody here to poke me with a sharp stick to keep me moving.  :lol:

Tom

sirstude

Going to sandblast the fenders, doors and other misc parts on the Olds this weekend.  Got all the tools I bought the last few weeks put together and set up where they are going to live, so back on the Olds.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

A busy weekend this week. If you remember last year I lost a couple trees to lightning, a Black Walnut, and a big White Pine. I had both of them sawed into lumber at a local saw mill, and sold some of the black Walnut to pay for the sawing. The pine was sawed into 2" planks, and stacked to dry. It's cured out nice now, so we sawed some of it into 2x4 lumber. Fatcat and I framed a room about 12' by 12' in the loft of my barn this weekend. the plan is to make a place more secure from mice and insects where we can store things like seats. the ceiling will have 2x8 joists so we can deck it, and have storage on top of the room too. Also on the outside walls we are putting up shelves and racks to store sheet metal parts.

today we installed the front sheetmetal on the truck from hell, and spent some time scrapping out an old saw, a furnace, and other junk. The truck is done now, he is picking it up this week.