New Nose for the #974 "Just Glad to be Here" ?

Started by WZ JUNK, January 02, 2007, 07:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

Quote from: "GPster"I wonder if lengthening the wheelbase of the Stude won't effect the placement of the C/G enough to create a different spin problem? I read some of the engineering that Sumner posted a while back and the distribution of the weight C/G might create a different set of problems. With the engine, steering and drivers placement already in place maybe the rear end could be set further back. Just an idea for some people that seem to be able to make them work. GPster

Hey Joe the lengthen wheel base will move the CP (center of pressure) rearwards, good thing, since now viewed from the side there will be more area at the rear of the car based on the cars new total length.

Hopefully the center of gravity, CG, will stay the same or move forward.  If we added length but did it somehow without adding weight up front, impossible, then the CG would move back based on the cars new length, bad.  But leaving the motor/driver where they are now, hopefully the weight of the lengthened front will at least keep the CG where it is now and since the CP has moved rearward we gain  :D .  If we needed to move the CG further forward (we will scale the car), it would be easy to add weight to the nose and in fact thinking about this maybe moving the water tank, cooling tank, from the cockpit to the nose might be a good idea if that is possible, thanks :D .

Moving the rear rearward would note be allowed by the rules as from the cowl back the car has to remain stock, except for the chop of course.

Here is even a longer nose (probably about 24 inches longer than now) with the wheel openings filled in like Hooley mentioned.  That would be a good move.

Here is about the same thing without the Roots blower, but with twin turbo's.

c ya,

Sum

Fat Cat

What about using a nose design off the Last generation firebird? That seem like it would make some of the work out of the building of a nose section.

Something like these:

What about making up a completely different hood section. So that if you up the record this year before the end of the meet you could swap on the new nose and make a run or two to get some feel anddata about how it is working.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: Fat CatWhat about using a nose design off the Last generation firebird? That seem like it would make some of the work out of the building of a nose section.

I like the shape of the Firebird front.  All the holes would need to be filled.  I think that Sumner and I agree that the very front needs to be something like that to divert some of the air around the car instead of over the top.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

dragrcr50

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"Makes no difference to me as long a Hooley is safe driving the car and you boys are having fun.  I'm excited to see the car run this year and to help out iin the pits....even if it is just fetching something to drink for someone. :lol:

It is hot out there, but still I think you will need an oven for the cookies.  Better bring them from home and hide them real good until you hit the salt 8) .

c ya this summer  :D ,

Sum
wow, remember how the bread dries up like instantly out on the salt, the cookies might do the same, we better eat them before we go out ... hehehe lookin forward to seeing you there lady ......
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "jusjunk"
Quote from: "jusjunk"whats the dates for this year ???
Dave

hello  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:

Why the hell are ya askin' now :?

you'll just fergit :P

wait till June, then ask :lol:  you only have a couple months to remember, instead of eight :roll:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Fat Cat"What about using a nose design off the Last generation firebird? That seem like it would make some of the work out of the building of a nose section.

Something like these:

What about making up a completely different hood section. So that if you up the record this year before the end of the meet you could swap on the new nose and make a run or two to get some feel and data about how it is working.

Since we also want to lengthen the car having two fronts there at the same time wouldn't work.  The other problem is the very limited number of runs we can make with so many entries now.  500 last year and 550 or so this year would not surprise me at all.  One run a day is all you can expect to get in now.  You spend most of the day in line, so we will be eating cookies in line and not in the pit.

The Firebirds aren't bad after plugging all the holes and stuff like John said, but probably wouldn't save much work since those are metal, aren't they??  We would still need the scoop like we have now.

This is with all the holes plugged.

I like this better as the valance doesn't come up so high on the front of the car and the front curves around more towards the middle.  I also lowered it.  It would take a lot of work to cut it up and get it into this shape.

The one I still like the best is the next one and we have the parts now basically to make it and I think it gets some of the air down the sides of the car and is really a good aero package :D .

Thanks for putting your mind to the task though :D .

c ya,

Sum

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "dragrcr50"wow, remember how the bread dries up like instantly out on the salt, the cookies might do the same, we better eat them before we go out ... hehehe lookin forward to seeing you there lady ......

I'm leaving for B'ville exactly eight days before I arrive there.  No matter what I would do they would be hard as a rock when I got there.

If, if, if the HAMB Drags west in in Phx on May 12th, and Jim Rivers allows me to use his kitchen, there just might be cookies in AZ that weekend.  You are planning on going right?? :wink:

Eating cookies while relaxing in Jim's hot tub....does it get any better then that??  8)
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

sirstude

Sum,  I like the last one too.  How many front ends based on Poteets car do you think there will be in Bonneville next year?

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Fat Cat

Quote from: "1FATGMC"The Firebirds aren't bad after plugging all the holes and stuff like John said, but probably wouldn't save much work since those are metal, aren't they??  We would still need the scoop like we have now.

c ya,

Sum

well the nosepiece is plastic. But I am sure that someone makes a fiberglass version. Afterall there are a number of glass pro stock and T/F funny cars around.

Such as http://www.glasstek.com/Firebird93-02.htm which lists the frot end under item number GF035  98-02  Firebird pro front end extended

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Fat Cat"
Quote from: "1FATGMC"The Firebirds aren't bad after plugging all the holes and stuff like John said, but probably wouldn't save much work since those are metal, aren't they??  We would still need the scoop like we have now.

c ya,

Sum

well the nosepiece is plastic. But I am sure that someone makes a fiberglass version. Afterall there are a number of glass pro stock and T/F funny cars around.

Such as http://www.glasstek.com/Firebird93-02.htm which lists the frot end under item number GF035  98-02  Firebird pro front end extended

Interesting  :D , I couldn't find a picture of that.  I saw it listed.  Have you seen a picture anywhere of the pro-frontend???

Sum

1FATGMC

Quote from: "sirstude"Sum,  I like the last one too.  How many front ends based on Poteets car do you think there will be in Bonneville next year?

Doug

Maybe a few, but a 1000 hp 175 cu. in. motor helps a little also :wink: .  We could run 255 with that baby.  I think they are going to have more problems running 300 that they think they will have.  The difference between the HP to run 250 and 300 is huge as I'm sure you know.

Also I can't see how they are going to get all of his buddies in the 2 Club with the lines they have there now.  If these guys haven't driven before and have made no license passes they will need 4 passes before they can even go for the record.  That is about 4 days shot right there, or at least 3 even if they just keep jumping back into line.

The front is really an adaptation of quite a few streamlines that have run there like the following:

Even as far back as the Summers Bros. Goldenrod and they probably copied someone else.

Get busy on that Sonnet :D ,

Sum

river1

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"If, if, if the HAMB Drags west in in Phx on May 12th, and Jim Rivers allows me to use his kitchen, there just might be cookies in AZ that weekend.  You are planning on going right?? :wink:

Eating cookies while relaxing in Jim's hot tub....does it get any better then that??  8)

now the kitchen i got and it is yours for the weekend. the hot tub might not be a smart idea, it's possible that the temps will be in the 100s in may. if it is then the pool will be a better idea.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"

I'm leaving for B'ville exactly eight days before I arrive there.  No matter what I would do they would be hard as a rock when I got there.

IIRC, someone told me that if you put a slice of bread in with cookies, they will stay soft?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

SKR8PN

Quote from: "1FATGMC"

Here is about the same thing without the Roots blower, but with twin turbo's.

c ya,

Sum

I really like this shot WITHOUT the scoop..............The scoop needs to go if ya wanna go faster. Just my half-nickle's worth :D
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Quote from: "river1"
now the kitchen i got and it is yours for the weekend. the hot tub might not be a smart idea, it's possible that the temps will be in the 100s in may. if it is then the pool will be a better idea.

later jim

Either wet place sounds fun to me. :wink:  
Say, you going to help me bake them?? 8)
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.