New Nose for the #974 "Just Glad to be Here" ?

Started by WZ JUNK, January 02, 2007, 07:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragrcr50

Quote from: "1FATGMC"Hi Frank, the problem of looking at NASCAR too close is they have body templates they have to follow, so they are doing the best they can using the body they have to work with.  Also except for Dayton and Dega and even there to some degree they are real interested in down force to go through the corners fast so they have to compromise.  

Down force usually adds drag, not good for us and we have the freedom of doing anything we want at the front of the car.

I took John's rendering and tried to add some shadow and highlights to make it maybe look more like he had in mind.  The front would be somewhat like blowfish in that it would try and be teardropped shaped at the front sending some of the air down the sides of the car.  That should help on stability.  And it would take the headlight and grill opening pumps out of the front helping with aero there.  

In this picture I lengthened the wheel base about 12 inches.  I would really like to see this done and the way the frame is it wouldn't be real hard to do.

The advantage would be that the longer wheelbase would help in stability by moving more of the center of gravity forward on the car as we could easily add weight up there and it would also in effect move the center of pressure back on the car at the same time.  Both good things.  If you are interested in what I'm talking about here you might want to go ( HERE ) .

Also this would lower the angle of the front from the very front up to where the air inlet is helping more with the aero drag.  All in all there would be a lot of advantages to making the car a little longer.

I have confidence that John could pull this off.  He is getting quite good at working with glass.

c ya,

Sum
I like the lower one there sum,  kinda like a wild rods 37 glass car stretched ??? .......Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

58 Yeoman

What if you removed the present 'headlights' and styled them to look more like the old VW or new Mini laid back headlights?  
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

dragrcr50

off subject but do we have any cds of our week yet??  sam
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

1FATGMC

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"What if you removed the present 'headlights' and styled them to look more like the old VW or new Mini laid back headlights?  

That is basically what that car above from Washington (that is where it is from for sure) did to the same front we have, so yep that is the direction we are going in.  For this year I would like to see some fronts on them that are more teardropped shaped (so they aren't so flat).

Keep thinking we like the input  :D ,

Sum

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "dragrcr50"off subject but do we have any cds of our week yet??  sam

Sam, I checked with the official SCTA Bonneville videographer last week.  He is to have the official video done later this month.  He said that he had 17 hours of video to edit.  As a side note he sent me a short video of the 974 running at speed.  The picture quality of this movie was not good(he had to send it at a lower quality setting on the net) but the sound was great.  I bet I have watched it 50 times.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

GPster

I wonder if lengthening the wheelbase of the Stude won't effect the placement of the C/G enough to create a different spin problem? I read some of the engineering that Sumner posted a while back and the distribution of the weight C/G might create a different set of problems. With the engine, steering and drivers placement already in place maybe the rear end could be set further back. Just an idea for some people that seem to be able to make them work. GPster

Hooley

Guys, You are doing a great job of working the front over. When we change the front lets go ahead and fill the wheel openings like the Lewis's yellow 761 stude.[see previous post for pic] I think that should help a lot.
 I think in 07 we will reach the full potential of what we have. In order to progress on we will have to go to this extreme nose mods. This is just my thinking.  I like to set reasonable goals each year. This year our goal is over 250 mph. This is only 9 or 10 mph over 06 terminal speed. MORE POWER is all it will take.  

Hooley

"Just Glad To Be Here"
"Just Glade To Be Here"

sirstude

John,  When I wrote the question I was looking at some of Sum's pictures and didn't realize that they had the old nose on them then.  That was why the question on the bubble.

Sum.  Actually I was talking about both the cars, the Studebaker as to the nose and the Datsun on the extreme end of CC.  If I ever do my Saab, the LONG nose is the direction I would like to go, but more in the Poteet type nose.  You always have to dream.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

purplepickup

Quote from: "sirstude"If I ever do my Saab, the LONG nose is the direction I would like to go, but more in the Poteet type nose.  You always have to dream.

Doug
Would that be a two stroke Saab?  That could be fun to get power out of....and maybe at a fairly reasonable cost....porting, chambers, and nitrous :shock: .  The snowmobile drag racers are really getting some power.  I wonder is there is a separate class for 2 strokes at Bonneville.
George

sirstude

George,  I have talked to Sum about a Saab Sonnet III.  It had a 4 cyl V4 Ford in it, but in my dreams it will have an Indy car Turbocharged Offy engine.  The last Indy motors were about 150 inches with almost 1700 hp in qualifying trim.  What a ride!!!!  They were a 2 seater, along with the earlier Sonnet with the two stroke so would be a Modified Sports.  Just would have to run against Cooke and the others.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

sirstude

I don't think there is a seperate class for 2 strokes, I know that Darrel Zip is running a Rotax in his streamliner.  I never thougt about the small 2 stroke in one of those cars and run for like the "Z" class records or some such.  Biggest problem is, even with the weight loss I have managed, I would still be a LOT of dead weight to haul around for a tiny motor. :lol:

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

HotRodLadyCrusr

Makes no difference to me as long a Hooley is safe driving the car and you boys are having fun.  I'm excited to see the car run this year and to help out iin the pits....even if it is just fetching something to drink for someone. :lol:
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"Makes no difference to me as long a Hooley is safe driving the car and you boys are having fun.  I'm excited to see the car run this year and to help out iin the pits....even if it is just fetching something to drink for someone. :lol:

It is hot out there, but still I think you will need an oven for the cookies.  Better bring them from home and hide them real good until you hit the salt 8) .

c ya this summer  :D ,

Sum

1FATGMC

Quote from: "sirstude"I don't think there is a seperate class for 2 strokes, I know that Darrel Zip is running a Rotax in his streamliner.  I never thougt about the small 2 stroke in one of those cars and run for like the "Z" class records or some such.  Biggest problem is, even with the weight loss I have managed, I would still be a LOT of dead weight to haul around for a tiny motor. :lol:

Doug

There was one car there, small one, that was running a turboed Rotax and he had set records with it before, but was having troubles when I talked to him as he was upping the boost.  The Hudson boys had two cars like in the picture, one chopped running comp coupe -- above, and the other not chopped.  One for sure was running a bike motor, 4 cycle.  The one above looks to be an I motored car so was 1000cc.

Well Doug come with the 2 stroke and put the indy motor in when you get it.  And put some of that weight back on, then you won't have to add as much ballast to the car  :wink: .

c ya,

Sum

sirstude

Sum, I looked at that white car a couple of times, Dennis, they guy I was with was trying to hook up with the Hudson boys with no luck all the time we were down there.  He is a real Hudson nut.  When he was young, he had a 44o wedge in a 41 Hudson convertable, sure wishes he had that back.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us