New Nose for the #974 "Just Glad to be Here" ?

Started by WZ JUNK, January 02, 2007, 07:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

Hooley likes the car to look like a Studebaker and I do too but I think we are getting to the point where we will need to make it go through the air a little better.  This is a picture of what I am proposing.  I can still add the fake grills and headlights like in the past but they will be a little skewed like the graphics on modern funny cars.

Well what do you think ?  I am open to criticism and besides all of you are to far away for me to be able to throw anything at you.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Bob K

I mean this in the nicest possible way but to me it looks like a snowplow. Prolly will work though.

B 8) B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

sirstude

Looks like Burkland's old car.  Got any VW fenders laying around?

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Bob K"I mean this in the nicest possible but to me it looks like a snowplow. Prolly will work though.

B 8) B

I agree.   But I think that we may have to go with something that will cut through the air more than what looks right.  I am not very good at the photo shop program and I think it will actually come out looking better than the picture.  Basically the change would start at the fender top just about the center of the wheel well opening and then round over and down to the front.

Thanks Bob for not being afraid to speak up.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

58 Yeoman

Just my opinion, and what do I know about salt racing.  When you change the body that much, it's no longer the Studebaker that sets the record, but something else.  Just like the race cars on the track, those aren't Fords and Chevies, but Ford and Chevy engines with a facimilie body on the frame.  Why not just take a glob of soft clay, drop it on the ground, and make a 'glas body to match; that should go through the air pretty good.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

sirstude

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Just my opinion, and what do I know about salt racing.  When you change the body that much, it's no longer the Studebaker that sets the record, but something else.  Just like the race cars on the track, those aren't Fords and Chevies, but Ford and Chevy engines with a facimilie body on the frame.  Why not just take a glob of soft clay, drop it on the ground, and make a 'glas body to match; that should go through the air pretty good.

I know it seems that way, but Bonneville cars , in my opinion, are meant to go fast and who cares what they look like.  Wish I had my pictures on this computer of that black 33 or so Ford coupe with the funny front end and top that was on down the line from Hooley in the pits this year.

The VW comment, if anyone does not know, is Burkland use VW front fenders to make the front end on his Studebaker, and is set a BUNCH of records.

Picture of Gene's 'baker  
http://www.ugofadini.com/burklandstory3.html

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

1FATGMC

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Just my opinion, and what do I know about salt racing.  When you change the body that much, it's no longer the Studebaker that sets the record, but something else.  Just like the race cars on the track, those aren't Fords and Chevies, but Ford and Chevy engines with a facimilie body on the frame.  Why not just take a glob of soft clay, drop it on the ground, and make a 'glas body to match; that should go through the air pretty good.

The problem is the class we are in, competition coupe, allows you to do any thing you want in front of the cowl, so we are running against cars like above.  In fact the one one above held our record before we got it.  Problem is he set it back in '91 or so and has since gone over 300 with a different motor.  If he built a B motor like ours he would probably raise our 237 mph record to about 280, so we have to do something if we really want to stay competitive.

I have a feeling the Stude will probably look the same for this year unless John is ready to do a bunch of work, but who knows.   I think there is a 250-255 in the car the way it is with more boost.  For the future something will change, either the nose or the car altogether.

c ya,

Sum

GPster

Maybe if you could find an artist to paint a Studebaker nose with grills on it and bumper. No faster than I recognize things at 230 MPH I'd only be looking at the tail end anyway. GPster

58 Yeoman

Oh...okay.  Like I said, what do I know about the salt?  Good luck with whichever way you go. :wink:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Leon

You're there to go fast, not win a car show.  You have to do what is needed to go fast, and it's legal.  Go for it.

river1

Quote from: "Leon"You're there to go fast, not win a car show

yup

you already set the record with style

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

donsrods

Yeah, I agree, form has to follow function in this case.  It is a race car, and I think it makes it look pretty good, actually.

Have you guys considered some wind tunnel testing to dial in the right shape?

Don

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "donsrods"Yeah, I agree, form has to follow function in this case.  It is a race car, and I think it makes it look pretty good, actually.

Have you guys considered some wind tunnel testing to dial in the right shape?

Don

We would love to go to a wind tunnel but the going rate is about $10,000 an hour from what I have heard.   Recently I spent a lot of time around George Poteet's new Bonneville car the "Blowfish" which is featured in this months Hot Rod magazine.  They spent two days in Chrysler's wind tunnel.  I was able to find out some things from their test that may help the #974.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

slocrow

John; I like your rendering so far. I think you're on the correct track. Barring any precise data and or wind tunnel time, I'd probably take a page from the NASCAR boys design book, as I assume they are attempting to slip through the air with minimum friction.
Continued good luck to you & the team, either way.......Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Dave