48 chevy truck

Started by kb426, September 07, 2022, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

The twin window deal would be enough to throw most off of what truck you started with . 8)  8)  8)

kb426

The Hackshack will not be asking me to be the relief painter. :)
It is blue. O&S succeeded in doing that. Painting once a year is not the best way to do this. :) My goal was no bare spots. I believe I accomplished that. Having poor eyesight does make this trying. Late today, it will be dry enough to put it on some dollies and move it around so all of the stuff can go back inside.
TEAM SMART

jaybee

Where did you get that blue? I love it. It's bright, and it's a real, clear blue without purple undertones. The last few years, purplish blues have been very common and I just don't like them all that well.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

Summit single stage urethane. Not as cheap as it used to be but relatively affordable. All single stage fades in the sun without clear. If you use cheap base and good clear, it lasts quite well. There's no clear on this. The only part exposed is the frame horns. I expect them to be rock pitted in short order. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Yep, you really blue it! :)

This hack would rather have you sand bondo anyway. :)
Matt

kb426

Matt, my body wouldn't cooperate. Not mental or physical. I did something you told me to try. Pics to follow.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Inside of some panels shot. Pic of frame in sun.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Well, how do you like it thus far? I know only time will tell.  :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: kb426 on October 01, 2023, 02:58:46 PMMatt, my body wouldn't cooperate. Not mental or physical. I did something you told me to try. Pics to follow.

Tell me about it.  :roll:  Five weeks straight at 30 per, coming off a normal mix, is my limit. Seventh week coming up Monday.

I don't often phrase things in a should or you oughtta context but do recall urging you to experiment with clearcoat gloss levels. Be interesting to see just how you apply that, if thats what we are lookin at.  :)

Your paint work looks good from here! I hear more and more reports of "Summit" brand stuff being used successfully.
Matt

kb426

Matt, I purchased some white epoxy and them used some of the paint that I had trouble covering with in an experiment last year. That's 3 wet coats on those panels. As far as the color choice, because there is flat and round on the outside of the truck, I have mixed emotions. My thought a week ago was to use the plain color on the outside and use the metallic on the chassis and the interior. What I see on the hood is important. I'd rather have something that makes me smile than "just ok" as in solid colors. When I get some color on the outside of the panels and lay it out in the sun, I will decide to proceed or get another plan. :) I struggle with colors a lot anymore. The 32 was easy. Everything since then has been painful. There's a lot of parts to paint. I'm trying to take advantage of the few warm days left to get as much done as possible. The stuff that needs body work and blocking can always be epoxied and then finished next year. Not how I want it to be but the weather has plenty of control. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Precious good weather days  :)

If we are talking white and blue, a Shelby-esque accent "panel", not so much a stripe, that could possibly hop onto the dash and or grille a bit... might be cool to look at. In them colors. A masking challenge is different. You could do something like that and whack it into a couple scallops.

But, ahem  :) ... what ya need is one of them Super Duty scoops. Or a big Dragmaster. So's youse can face it forward when you feel froggy or turn it around and gaze into it. I'm pretty sure I have brought that up on every truck. An early T/A shaker would look good or oh... yeah Cobra Jet. Mmm. :idea:  :arrow:

Just don't overly exert mind, body, nor spirit. Harmony, not mastery. Om.
Matt

idrivejunk

Finally looked at IH back windows. Splitting your existing window? I think I like that. Might help the round hole square peg thing some from behind. Plus adds another dimension of mysterious intrigue.

I can tell already, this build may cause some onlooker danger. Good thing Kansas is mostly two lane or you'd forever have somebody in your blind spot trying to sort out what it is. You'll need to have an FAQ script well rehearsed when you get on the road, finished or not.
Matt

kb426

O&S was faced with wind warnings today so I decided that painting was not an option. I started off by changing oil in the bosses vehicle. I moved on to the cab. I noticed after blasting that an area on the floor had some holes next to the door drop so I cut that out and welded in a patch. That was under the trim to hold the floor mat in place. The hood hinge mount on the cowl was too high. It left a gap under the hood for a ways so I cut that loose and lowered it. I moved on to da-ing the cab with 80 grit. It's getting close to time for Mr. Bondo and block-sand on the cab.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

KB I propose a flattened main body color with a metalflake shelbyish stripe down the hood . That should make you smile as you go down the road !

kb426

C.K., thanks for looking out for me. :)
O&S is back to tedious. I completed stripping the outside of both doors. I started grinding some areas for plastic and later realized that the whole top will need some work and a huge amount of the rear of the cab. I removed most of the rest of the undercoating that was in the front wheel well areas. I wiped the cab down with metal prep and tried to get a plan of action in regards to how much good weather I have left. ???? :)
TEAM SMART