48 chevy truck

Started by kb426, September 07, 2022, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Matt, you caused me to think about a bead all of the way across the bottom of the door to match the lower panel. I'm running out of good weather time so I may do something simple that can be replaced later. I have about 30 days till the annual first freeze in this area. It warms up after that, but I need to have lots done before that. :)
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

I made a prototype of the hinge that was in an earlier post.  I was interested in the movement as the hinge opened.  It makes and interesting path or arc. Depending on where you start the movement, it can actually move back slightly as it moves up.

I will post a photo of prototype made from hardboard.  I noticed in the last post of photos that the link to make the photo appear is in the upper right after you click on the link.  I think part of what is going on is that I bought a new iPhone last Saturday and it is doing something different to my photos.  Lets see what this does
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

WZ JUNK

That seemed to work on this end.  I may use this style of hinges on the 41 Willys project I am helping to design a tilt front end.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

idrivejunk

You mean like maybe a vinyl molding, Bill? Providing  :idea: spark is what I enjoy most.

By the way while we are sharing thoughts, mine about the bed lid center rain seal is a T strip. Looks like inner edge of lids drop down when opened so have stick on rubber lined T strip.

Like this:

T._______
  l

With the period being the rubber, stuck under the top of the T.  :o
Matt

jaybee

"I may use this style of hinges on the 41 Willys project I am helping to design a tilt front end."

That's exactly what attracted my attention to those hinges in the first place. That unfortunate pile of rust is still sitting in my brother's yard in Iowa.   :(
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

Matt, the t style was one I have considered. I will go looking to see what's available soon.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Yessir and I believe you'd want a functional gutter under that with drain (to hose or hole) for actually keeping water off the bed floor. Having a peak in the T might allow larger rubber to be stuffed there but being flat as the lid is some rain while standing still might get past.
Matt

kb426

O&S has had enough fun for one day. Real close to disassembly and paint.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I must say it looks a lot more finished that most cars of that type.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

I am just trying to figure out what hue of metalflake to recommend  8)  8)

idrivejunk

Matt

jaybee

"I must say it looks a lot more finished that most cars of that type."

That's very fair to say. Those panels that cover the frame came out looking really nice, the whole front end is coming out with good lines.

jaybee

The view from the cab is really dramatic because it narrows down so much.

Can't quite get a good enough view at the bed cover hinge area to see if it would be useful, but boaters use this stuff to cover piano hinges in order to help keep them from passing water.  https://www.boatoutfitters.com/vinyl-hinge-seal

kb426

Jaybee, I'll look into that, thank you.
Yesterday, I used the english wheel and rolled the 2 panels a little before beading them. I don't know if I did it the proper direction or amount but it did take the twist out of the panels. That's something I will try more in the future if I make more panels. This project was my take on mass centralization. All of the heavy parts are between the axles. I didn't want the fuel tank as high as it is but didn't like any of the other options. I also wanted enough ground clearance that I can use it as my daily without being careful. :) I'm still thinking about cycle fenders. ?????
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

So you might go knock down some cones with this thing someday, is that what I'm hearing? At some of these meets big enough to have an autocross playground?

In my understanding from the brief time when I shaped things, pre-stretching is done in the opposite direction. The amount is the part that requires the knack. It is more important when beads are involved. Steps, not so much. My finding was that any amount of prestretching done helps but few do it and I haven't seen anyone overdo it.

Normally when wheeling, a guy is working a zone. So I found it sort of difficult staying precise enough for prestretching for like a series of beads. My style is to leave out features that serve no purpose but guy in the next stall steps everything and prestretches nothing.

Its a subject just like planishing... some know nothing of it and do fine. But once you know about it and try it, you learn to selectively apply it and achieve a next level with your stuff.

It done me good to see you delve into shaping your panels as you have. Your skill set has no boundaries as far as this eye can see. As always, you can show a pic and tell an idea and request stuff like with fenders. Or FLAKE colors. Rainy trend ahead and you know me.  :)

Were you imagining fenders all around?

When will you lop off the roof?  :D 
Matt