48 chevy truck

Started by kb426, September 07, 2022, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Matt, I don't know if I will be where autocross is but performance and handling are important to me, everyday. :) When wheeling, I stayed close to the pattern but went all of the length of the panel. I think I may have been upside down. LOL. Fenders are a possibility but only cycle style and I would want a bead like the 30's spare tire cover. Metalflake ??? I have thought about doing something from the 60's on the roof. No decision yet. The roof question is unanswered. I thought about it quite a bit before getting to involved in the fabrication everyday. I barely have enough brain power to do one item at a time. :)
O&S changed tires this morning. When I repaired a rear brake on the 72, I noticed that the date code on the tire was 2013. This caught me by surprise. I thought I purchased all 4 tires in 2017 or 2018 for the truck. A week later, the memory spark occurred and I remembered that I purchased 2 wheels and tires for the white 51 and they didn't fit front or back for different reasons. They sat in the shed until 2018. I purchased 2 245 45 17 tires for the front of the 48. I removed the 235 55 17's and replaced the dated tires on the 72. One of the 245's wouldn't pop up on the bead. That turned a 2 hour job into about 4. After that, I made hood support rods. I machined 1" flat strap to be welded to  the 1/4" rods and a flat washer at the end. I bent the rods the match the angle of the hood and used a nutsert for the swivel end. I'm going to look for an OEM plastic holder for the other end when the hood is closed.
TEAM SMART

kb426

As an addendum, the different tire size dropped the front around 3/4". I wanted a slight rake and now it's there. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

It's really coming together now. I know this one has been pretty frustrating for you, but I quite like it. Extremely sporty.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

Light day for O&S. A young man arrived to buy a part I had and he asked a few questions. :) After thinking for a while, I decided to install the parking brake handle next to the shifter on the floor. The pics are of the brackets, I fabbed, inside in down and up postions and a floor doubler that will be under the sheetmetal. I will need to get a short length of cable to connect to the junction block for the e-brake cables and that is finished.
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S did yard work in the am. It's close to the end for this year. That's sad for me. :) One of the pics is of the beginning of an arm rest. The rest are panels welded in to cover the open space between the cowl and firewall. I don't know what I'm doing there yet but I wasn't going to leave it open. ?????
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S exercise program was in place today. I hadn't mounted a throttle pedal yet so I tackled that this am. I welded some 1" tall spacers to it and cut and bent the bracket to make it fit a flat firewall instead of angled. The angle of the foot portion is off but I'm going to wait until everything else is in place to modify it. I disassembled the truck for paint. Many things left to do. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S cleaned out some of the shop this morning. I removed a substantial amount of grit and dirt from the last couple of months. The tailgate needed some welding on the bottom where I had cut into it too deep when trimming for side panel clearance. The frame is stripped to bare and ready for blasting.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

chris spokes

i wish i had your energy, well done on this build so far, I'm liking it 8)
he who has the most toys wins

kb426

The weather god smiled on O&S today.:) The forecast was for 30 mph winds. That would have meant no blasting. It was calm when I left coffee this am. Like an idiot, I didn't remove the door hardware yesterday before quitting. It was about 9 am when I got started blasting. At 3pm, I quit. The chassis and attaching parts have been blasted to a reasonable level. I did the roof of the cab and the door jambs. I did the stained areas on the cab and did some of the insides. There are some areas that will need 80 grit or more blasting. Depending on what the weather brings tomorrow, I may work on the inside of the cab some more. I don't know about the rest of you but I was tired by 3pm. I didn't stop for lunch from fear of the wind coming up. If the weather changes, I can sand and handle the rest of it. The blasting is a real pain but I sure do like what it does. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Welcome from the O&S solar powered paint booth. Some chassis parts painted. One pic is of the battery cable order, starter, ground, alternator back to batt and power feed for the fuse and relay panels. I use Batterycablesusa. I have no idea if they are the lowest cost but they do business real well. I've used them several times in the past 5 years. I flipped the chassis and finished welding the center k brace. I started da-ing the frame.
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

Matt

kb426

Thank you for all of the comments, guys.
Yesterday, I had a thought. What if i could find an International rear twin window from a 50's pickup and put in? If there was a rusty cab somewhere with a good real panel, that would be doable. Dumb idea?????
TEAM SMART

jaybee

I like the color. The twin rear window idea sounds cool, too.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)