2021: What are you doing today

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2021, 11:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

As far as things needing repair....... Boats , I have owned 2 . BOAT......Bring Out Another Thousand ::)

Crosley.In.AZ

Phil: yeah... it just keeps going. Spending money that is.  We bought this new to us RV.. Its great , more room , yada yada. BUT there is no place to setup a desktop computer like I was using in the garage of the toyhauler after my laptop took a dump.

So do I buy another laptop? My wife suggested removing the couch/ fold out bed to install a work station - desk for computer and another recliner or smaller couch - love seat? Which means more money.  A laptop would be the lower dollar option I think. Leave the furniture alone.  :o

I have not used In The Ear hearing aids. people tell me it shuts all natural sounds and your own voice sounds weird like plugged up sinuses? I need new aids , but there goes more money. So far I just say Huh? a lot. I currently have only 1 functioning hearing aid.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

Had a sketchy urge this evening. CK  :)

Matt

enjenjo

Quote from: Crosley on December 04, 2021, 10:02:49 PM
Phil: yeah... it just keeps going. Spending money that is.  We bought this new to us RV.. Its great , more room , yada yada. BUT there is no place to setup a desktop computer like I was using in the garage of the toyhauler after my laptop took a dump.

So do I buy another laptop? My wife suggested removing the couch/ fold out bed to install a work station - desk for computer and another recliner or smaller couch - love seat? Which means more money.  A laptop would be the lower dollar option I think. Leave the furniture alone.  :o

I have not used In The Ear hearing aids. people tell me it shuts all natural sounds and your own voice sounds weird like plugged up sinuses? I need new aids , but there goes more money. So far I just say Huh? a lot. I currently have only 1 functioning hearing aid.

HUH?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Quote from: idrivejunk on December 05, 2021, 12:25:32 AM

Dammit, Matt, you're in the wrong business. I know you're good at doing the body work, but how would you be doing if you were a commercial artist? Or, do they even have those anymore?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

58 Yeoman

Quote from: enjenjo on December 05, 2021, 02:00:01 AM

HUH?

What? Did you say something?

Phil

58 Yeoman

Tony, I'll let you know how they work. He stuck a model in one ear, and it felt okay, and it wasn't even a molded one. He said I'll have 45 days to try them out, and if I'm not satisfied, I can return them. All I want to do is hear the people I'm talking with, not everything around me.

Phil

idrivejunk

Quote from: 58 Yeoman on December 05, 2021, 08:45:29 AM
Quote from: idrivejunk on December 05, 2021, 12:25:32 AM

Dammit, Matt, you're in the wrong business. I know you're good at doing the body work, but how would you be doing if you were a commercial artist? Or, do they even have those anymore?

Oh... Dad's brother was probably one of the last. His son was too but passed away young. Me, I wholeheartedly pursued it and attended the Art Institute. Was an art director at an ad agency with office overlooking downtown. Same town as now.

Truth is... been there, did that. Only it was short lived. 4 clients went belly up simultaneously which spelled curtains on that show. Print advertising died around then and I didn't waste any more time, got a job delivering car paint and down this road I went. Knowing I had a skill to develop later on if need be. Overlooking the possibility that my second choice in career path could destroy both abilities. Aided by the punk in the Ranger who I still think of each day.

People get locked into opinions about conditions required to achieve happiness, others just realize they are satisfied. Took quite awhile for my parents to stop wishing greatness upon me and realize I'm as "found" as I'm gonna get, ain't done half bad for myself depending on who you ask, and that the kid in me is impressed by the short stack of mags with my name in em not on em. Perceptions of my choices have evolved in the last decade, making the chosen path that of least resistance. Doing car stuff early on worked and now I can play with the cheap art hobby as I please.

So I don't think much about what you asked. Leastwise not anymore. Coulda done lots worse! I squeak a lot about it, anybody would in these smelly shoes. Thanks though.  :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: 34ford on December 03, 2021, 05:12:24 PM
Wow Matt,  l just looked and that truck showed up May 1 2018. 3 years 7 month and a lot of $$$$$$. Congratulations it's done.

Quote from: chimp koose on December 03, 2021, 08:26:30 PM
Matt it must feel good to get one done . I dont get that feeling often :lol:

Maybe you guys get it. Partway. About what I mean when I say each one kills me a little. Its a literal statement. Even at full time full blast I cannot produce even a handful more before achieving useless-as-a-laborer status. And all I been doing is the advanced bodywork tasks on them. "Just KEEP doing that GOOD work" is the employer's sentiment that keeps me hired. I try to stay trustworthy.

A "build" means something different to me and you guys, and "done" is only ever in the eye of the beholder. My own car efforts don't merit either of those descriptions and always stopped short of even my meager expectations of what should be achieveable.

A man would need to live eons to gain proper perspective but within one lifetime pretty much the entire rise and fall of fossil fuels is contained. I guess what I'm saying is "finishing" actually means little to me. Nothing changes but the condition of someone else's metal and my prime of life just passed with zero hobby activity. So go figure the tally on all that and weigh it against your own experiences if you like. Meanwhile I'll be over here counting my blessings, free from lofty aspirations about more for me down the road. I'm on the B side of life and becoming more willing to act like it.  :)
Matt

chimp koose

That T drawing is a keeper ! As I sit and look at my coupe I realize it has been close to a year since I did any work on the car other than engine . Family issues have kept me very busy in the last year and not feeling the car vibe , my son is in a rough place. I have also had a lot of side projects car wise that have kept me away from the coupe .

idrivejunk

That was just a picture I been wanting to draw which finally got it's turn, no crowding intended. If I'd ever had a family, might never have gotten to any of those wants. I have that 69GP left rear image lightly pencil traced onto actual sketch paper, and also on art board for paint. Inclination falls short though, since its 20 years done and gently worn out again. Sitting a few yards away, still at the ready. I'm not done milking my one "build", but its down to the glueing loose chunks of bodywork back on before they blow away stage.  :lol:
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: 58 Yeoman on December 05, 2021, 08:50:06 AM
Tony, I'll let you know how they work. He stuck a model in one ear, and it felt okay, and it wasn't even a molded one. He said I'll have 45 days to try them out, and if I'm not satisfied, I can return them. All I want to do is hear the people I'm talking with, not everything around me.

Yeah , I agree with just understanding people would be nice. With my damaged ear drums, there are some holes in the frequency I can hear.  I often explain to ppl that my hearing aids bring in everything. It is like tossing all voices and noise  into a 5 gallon bucket, stir it up and then dump it in my ear. I can not separate the noise from voices in my head. The process does not work like that.

Conversation I had with an audiologist yrs ago when he was adjusting my aids again: I told him the different settings (3)  he had on my aids did nothing to help , alter, make better the hearing experience for me. He was surprised. I told him to turn up the volume in the aids.  I can hear the rattle of car keys in someone's hand , yet struggle to understand what they are saying.

Another po'd moment  of mine is my wife. She will walk in front of me talking away from me. I have told her dozens of times that I can not understand what she is saying when she talks away from me. Lately I just ignore her till she faces me so I can understand her.  Driving in a car with tire , wind , engine noise....  very difficult to understand conversation.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

My friend, Norman who just turned 90, has had hearing aids for years. He has told me the same things you guys have said. You hear everything across the room but not what's in front of you. He went swimming every morning after we had coffee. He would leave his aids out until after he was finished swimming. He told me that he could understand me but not everyone that sat with us. He was using batteries every so many days. I found a seller on ebay that sold them by the hundred at a reduced cost. That was my contribution to his hearing. :)
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

I get my hearing aids tomorrow.  The VA is providing them.  I will let all of you know how they work for me.  My understanding is that these only amplify the frequencies that I can not detect.  Mine are to have rechargeable batteries.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

58 Yeoman

I'm on my second set from the VA, but am wearing my first pair until I get back there to have them correctly adjust the newer ones. I had to change my hearing doc, as the first and I couldn't connect at all. The second one must've been in a funk the last time I was there.  I kept telling them...how can I hear the people in front of me when the micorphones are behind my ears? I should've gotten blue tooth on my second set, but I declined.  My new ones from a civilian doc will have BT, and I can control parts of it with my cell phone.

Newer aids have a lot of programs; they can cut out background noise like when driving a car (my old ones work better at that), and have more volume controls, both up and down from normal.  The batteries in both my sets are 13's, and the new ones are going to be smaller yet. Kind of wish they were rechargeable.  My batteries usually last just over a week, and the new doc says my new ones should last a week. We'll see how it goes.

Phil