Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

UGLY OLDS

Man ...That is a NEAT picture ....I think you may have missed your true calling .... 8)  8)

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Very good! Your window view is a world apart from mine. It's easy to forget the diversity in our lives. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

As I look out MY window I see an ocean of WHITE ! I can guarantee there has never been a boat that big around here !

phat46

Thanks for the compliments guys. I do live in an amazing, unique area. These ships routinely pass by all hours of the day and night. Some Captains will salute as they pass under the Blue Water bridges as they go into or leave Lake Huron, their horns can be heard miles inland. The area this painting depicts is a series of three turns in the St.Clair river where these ships must be very careful, the current is about six miles an hour and the ships have to stay ahead of the current to steer. This ship, the Mesabi Miner, is one of only a few that is directly propelled by an internal combustion engine, it has TWO 16 cylinder diesels, each hole producing 500 h.p. Here is a picture of a set of rings from her, with a 350 Chevy rod and piston for comparison! My friend got the rings during a winter maintenance engine check, he wanted to get me a piston, but they don't throw them out! 😃

58 Yeoman

We did some cleaning and rearranging in a storeroom yesterday, and cleaned out 250 record albums. We sold them today to a second hand record store for $40. Bought us lunch and topped off the gas tank in the Tacoma.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "phat46"Thanks for the compliments guys. I do live in an amazing, unique area. These ships routinely pass by all hours of the day and night. Some Captains will salute as they pass under the Blue Water bridges as they go into or leave Lake Huron, their horns can be heard miles inland. The area this painting depicts is a series of three turns in the St.Clair river where these ships must be very careful, the current is about six miles an hour and the ships have to stay ahead of the current to steer. This ship, the Mesabi Miner, is one of only a few that is directly propelled by an internal combustion engine, it has TWO 16 cylinder diesels, each hole producing 500 h.p. Here is a picture of a set of rings from her, with a 350 Chevy rod and piston for comparison! My friend got the rings during a winter maintenance engine check, he wanted to get me a piston, but they don't throw them out! 😃

Gee...Is that 0.040 or 0.060 over   :?:  :?  :?  :lol:

phat46

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
Quote from: "phat46"Thanks for the compliments guys. I do live in an amazing, unique area. These ships routinely pass by all hours of the day and night. Some Captains will salute as they pass under the Blue Water bridges as they go into or leave Lake Huron, their horns can be heard miles inland. The area this painting depicts is a series of three turns in the St.Clair river where these ships must be very careful, the current is about six miles an hour and the ships have to stay ahead of the current to steer. This ship, the Mesabi Miner, is one of only a few that is directly propelled by an internal combustion engine, it has TWO 16 cylinder diesels, each hole producing 500 h.p. Here is a picture of a set of rings from her, with a 350 Chevy rod and piston for comparison! My friend got the rings during a winter maintenance engine check, he wanted to get me a piston, but they don't throw them out! 😃

It is 12" over, 16" bore!!! The stroke is a couple feet.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"

It is 12" over, 16" bore!!! The stroke is a couple feet.

Oh ...I see ..They wanted the "Economy " engine ..... :roll:  :roll:  :lol:

chimp koose

spun the crank from a similar engine in a lathe years ago . 8 1/4" mains and 7 1/4" rod journals . It was powering the generator for a mine way up north . 16" bore and I believe 16" stroke . The crank was stamped with a date from 40 years before . I think it had been running for all that time .

chimp koose

I started working on door alignment on my T today and ended up breaking a hinge when I tried to press it and bend it 1/16"  . It was previously cracked and I had welded it up but it cracked again . I have done diagonal measurements of both door openings and they are the same . I have strung wire diagonally across the roof opening in identical locations and the wires just touch each other verifying that there is no twist or bend in the coupe body . The driver side door fits well in the door opening with the reveal lining up ,door to quarter panel . It does have a wider gap than I would like at the A pillar when viewed from the front . The door touches the A pillar at the top just before the door is completely closed . The passenger door is my bigger worry . It sits low at the rear with the reveal on the door 1/8" lower than on the quarter panel .It also has a wider gap at the back of the door than the drivers side by about 1/8" It was touching the A pillar at the bottom just before closing . I measured the hinge pin locations on both sides of the car relative to the back of the door and the back of the door opening . There are differences side to side that I was addressing when I cracked the hinge . I have the top hinges on the doors installed but the top hinges on the A pillars are not . I was planning on drilling the upper pillar hinge pin holes after I get the doors to fit nice . The upper pillar hinges are new , I made them in the mill last year and did not drill them for pins yet . I am trying to bend the P/S lower A pillar hinge farther back in order to lift the door and line up the reveal at the back . When I sight down through the hinge pin holes on the door hinges it seems that the pin holes are not right in line . I would like to get the doors to close nicely before I install bear claw latches as I dont want the latch pin to have to hold the door in alignment . If you have been there , done that on a similar car please let me know if there are any hints you can give me to make this job a bit easier . These hinges are not adjustable other than bending . I have made fixtures to be able to bend these hinges by pressing directly through the pin hole so as not to twist them in the process . I may even use a laser level to align the pins top to bottom. I really would like to have a car with little or no wind noise while driving . The windshield will be glued in so no leaks around the windshield .

idrivejunk

CK believe it or not I can follow all that these days.  8)  :shock:

A few thoughts-

Insert a close-fitting and straight rod through all the pin holes with the hinges not bolted but in place and look for the oddity at the bolt holes.

Tack shims to hinge... maybe shim only half the hinge, for greater pin movement than shimming the whole hinge. I see no great sin in doing so in this case.

Beware of twisted A pillars. Lay tubing against the striker or latch faces of the A pillars, clamp. Did one need more clamping force to pull it into place?

Beware of rake variance in sides of the body... if one rocker, door top, and drip rail are level, is the other side also level?
Matt

phat46

Quote from: "chimp koose"spun the crank from a similar engine in a lathe years ago . 8 1/4" mains and 7 1/4" rod journals . It was powering the generator for a mine way up north . 16" bore and I believe 16" stroke . The crank was stamped with a date from 40 years before . I think it had been running for all that time .

I can't imagine turning one of these, 16 cyl, they gotta be close to ten feet long! I know they turn relatively low r.p.m.'s. in the hundreds, not thousands. My friend showed me a picture he took of a guy standing in a hole after they took the piston and sleeve out, he was waist deep in the hole. He is trying to get me a tour of the Miner, that would be fun, I got a tour of the Herbert Jackson, an older smaller boat he was on a few years ago, that was cool. I went to Detroit to pick him up from the ship at a fuel dock there in January, we didn't have time for a tour, he was headed to a funeral. I know these ships are huge, but I usually just see them passing by in the river, it was quite a sight to be on the dock when this thing came in for fuel, over a thousand feet long, and about forty feet over our heads on the dock as it slid by, then the superstructure (wheel house, cabins etc) was another five stories high! I just had to lean out and put my hands on the hull! 😃

chimp koose

My lathe was 43" swing 17' bed . My boss told me I had $250,000 swinging in my lathe , don't #$%@ it up ! That was over 20 years ago ,No pressure  :shock:

chimp koose

IDJ  I have been checking the A pillars with a 4'steel ruler and they seem straight . As i said the door openings are identical side to side measured diagonally and the entire roof area is the same height wise measured diagonally . T roof is different from model A as there is no horizontal metal just a big hole to fill with wood. The body subrails were  completely solid on this car so the body did not twist or shift . The hinges slide into slots in the pillar and door and require solid raps with a hammer to get them in , no room for a shim . Basically no adjustment of the doors except to bend the hinge . I am thinking I may end up making a bending tool to bend the hinges while they are still on the car . I had heard about using a pin through all the hinges at once but it seems too easy to bend a 4' long 1/4" dia rod . I had previously made ends to put in the top and bottom hinge pin holes with a hole drilled in them the size of mig wire to stretch between . It has been a while , probably easier to make a new set of those than look for the old ones .