Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Tail lights-

Undecided. No decision needed by me at this point but now I know how to stir the pot. :wink:  The latest ones were vetoed by the boss, customer never saw that reluctantly done edit.

Also a good decision to leave open until the latest time because of the wild variation of cost between choices. I offered to chop the stands or bury LEDs or anything in between. You know if it were mine it would have four slots, to look like 60s GTO / Firebird tails. :idea:

Exhaust tips- Same thing. Anything might show up there.

Wheels- I think 20x15 will have to be it, biggest they got and theres room to spare. Tub inner wall to fender lip is 18 1/2".

These Big Slots are the current consideration, he wants everyone to see his big discs.

http://us-mags.com/big-slot-u405-w-4946.htm

Beads next to trunk: Keep.

Headlights: I heard the name of the ones being considered, didn't retain that tidbit.

Roll pan or Bumper: Simple, smooth rounded pan as shown. No seam, no indents. My favorite.

Fender bobbing: No one questioned my estimation once I zeroed in on it and made the last generation photo edit. I questioned them, they had no questions. Keep reading, you'll see what he saw.

Drumroll, please... boss has a way with these color combos that sound wacky, and this one is with solid colors. How about that?  :shock:

Here is how I prepared, and got all the decisions I need at once-

Bomb fogged the bare areas, sat the Cat rubber under there (335s)-

She swallows it. The Cat's meat.

:shock:

Little pipe slices for exhaust placeholders, and posterboard as an approximate fender height and width indicator.

And now you know where it is headed. If I were a naturally aspirated engine, this would now be a zero manifold vacuum scenario. :0-0  :-}  

Anybody forge doctor's sick notes? I need a breather pretty bad and the weather is nice. Can't feed the 455 again til payday.

Thanks to each and every one of you who have provided input. To me, you're all assets. :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

416Ford

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Customer requested painted bumper, embedded invisible stang-look tail lights, keep beads at trunk sides.

Bam, done.

Ohhh Nooooo   make that go away...
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Customer requested painted bumper, embedded invisible stang-look tail lights, keep beads at trunk sides.

Bam, done.

In a word .......YUK  :!:  :!:  :(D)  :(U)  :evil:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

Quote from: "416Ford"

Bam, done.

Ohhh Nooooo   make that go away...

:lol: You guys keep quoting it!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Here are eyebleach  :arrow:

Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"

Bam, done.

That was a brainstorming emission that came up after I mentioned turn signals in fender tips done that way. He raised an eyebrow. So Gary asked for it. I don't think he showed it to the owner. If I had liked it at all, I would have tried harder on the edit. Don't you worry, boss is the style patrol. :wink:

This is what I'm building. A re-post of the pic. The one with quads pleased lots of eyes but I am only doing bodywork.

Your eye bleach, sir. 8)

Goin' strong. :)
Matt

idrivejunk

By the way, that edit wasn't as bam done as I'd have liked. Still haven't made up the couple hours' sleep. :roll:

This represents the gas tank space available... IF I lose the upright tubing below the trunk hinges. I plan to do just that, and rely on nearby sheetmetal bracing for support.

I got out a fresh sheet of construction paper, kids.  :D  Theres over an hour in just cleanup, sanding, and metal treatment involved.

One side left to cut-

This is the RH cabin bulkhead extension-

A little trim will butt it up to the big removable cabin bulkhead's edge-

This is the cabin bulkhead with a couple screws in it. The white pattern represents a part of the trunk bulkhead.

I'll make little corner finishers on the structure inside.

On the trunk side, these goal posts will be modified or eliminated-

Matt

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "idrivejunk"
Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"

Bam, done.

That was a brainstorming emission that came up after I mentioned turn signals in fender tips done that way. He raised an eyebrow. So Gary asked for it. I don't think he showed it to the owner. If I had liked it at all, I would have tried harder on the edit. Don't you worry, boss is the style patrol. :wink:

This is what I'm building. A re-post of the pic. The one with quads pleased lots of eyes but I am only doing bodywork.

Your eye bleach, sir. 8)

Goin' strong. :)

Thank You & Thank You.....My eyes feel better now .... 8)  :lol:  :lol:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

416Ford

Thank You & Thank You.....My eyes feel better now ....

I agree %110.  );b(  );b(  );b(
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

idrivejunk

I thought the colors pic was good for a few yuks, myself. Yuk, yuk  :lol:

How about just good old new shiny metal  :?:  :arrow:

Right as I was walking out the door at quitting time, a new employee had a diabetic seizure. That was wild, we tried to help but were helpless. EMTs were still not getting any response from him when I left, but he was awake the whole time. I never dealt with that before. Cut or smashed, sure. This, no. I feel wierd now. Sure hope he will be OK.
Matt

chimp koose

that last pic of the model a with A tail lights is a keeper . If you feel like messing with it more , try a pic using 48 chev tail lights even with the bottom of the licence plate . that was the fender treatment i was trying to explain

crdnblu

What he said; agreed!

idrivejunk

The last revision is less unfinished in the trunk bead area, and the one to be used is just crap there. Never made it far enough to try 48 lights and all of that stuff is trash now that the decision has been made on fenders and pan. Out of the countless hours spent on Catalina and Model A edits, there hasn't even been eighty bucks pay, so I won't offer any in the future. They will have to be asked for, pre-priced, easy, and relevant to my task for me to want to do another.
Matt

idrivejunk

Well, I say that but find myself tempted to do something to try those colors on and was planning to do a side view anyway. But thats a big job and from scatch, and changes would be wanted.

Self - contradictory situation normal. :lol:  :roll:  :?
Matt

moose

Matt just another idea. Mine is not fendered BUTT here is how I am covering the rear of the body. The pipe pieces in the roll pan will be inserted flush as cut-outs for the exhaust