Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Whew. That was a mental struggle, its a glad to be home day. :)

The understanding that I will commit to memory after that flurry of discussions and fruitless research is this:

30-1 coupe, roadster, cabriolet, pickup all take the same fender. But there are two styles, probably reflecting the two different body manufacturers. Add aftermarket and well, what you have is what you have. What we have will have to be cut up and squinted at, thats that. I did take some today pics that may help me fake stuff to look at. Later.

Heck I think there were car parts on that 41 truck with Coyote we did years back. Speaking of years back, in my research I saw the stellar metal work on the Hemi A some user showed here in 2012. Pacifica van roof, I believe. Y'all know the one. Wow that thing is purty.  :shock:  8)

For the time being, I am at peace with the A. But I am so incredibly burnt out from nonstop back to back builds on top of the whole career with no time off... that I get wore thin. I'm one of those guys who requires about a 50/50 profane / plain lingo mix so it probably reads awful fierce lately. I will try to mellow out. This fender unknown thing blindsided me when hurrying and past bedtime I tried to overlay our fender onto web pics with the editing program. Something simple snowballed into hey I gotta stop right here and await further instruction. Hate it when that happens.

Stand by for some real weak rodder fodder, and thanks to all youse mugs that read and wish you could help when I'm fusstrated. :roll:
Matt

idrivejunk

I put a couple stiff scrap tabs here to hold the fender upright-

Got new inner tubs laid out but that was it, too much commotion and communication going and I only focused an hour or two.

These were just endo the day snaps but I might be able to use them. The phrase Model A just causes slight nausea at the moment. :roll:

Matt

idrivejunk

Hey, question in case anybody knows  :?:  :arrow:

Our hero and I both want to see steel wheels with poverty hub caps and beauty rings. But theres gonna be nearly a foot of dish involved here. Mike says theres 16" of width to play in, I haven't measured. But to me it looks like maybe 3-4" on the inside for backspacing, so...

What do you do in that case? I thought maybe you can have steelies made with the rim chrome and the center bare for paint. Won't trim rings be an issue with all that dish? Is there a solution for that already? Do you just put regular trim rings on and look at black painted dish? Muscle era mind here wants know.

:?

:idea:  :?:
Matt

enjenjo

https://www.wheelvintiques.com/wheels/hot-rod.html  They sell chrome rims with bare centers, and custom widths and backspacing.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"https://www.wheelvintiques.com/wheels/hot-rod.html  They sell chrome rims with bare centers, and custom widths and backspacing.

Excellent 8)

Happy Easter, Frank. You found a bunny egg-

Matt

idrivejunk

Hit me with some tasteful traditional exhaust treaments, men. I kind of expect it to have two soda straws. Boss wants just two but like the pic.

Got d'ruthers? :?:

They probably mostly get dumps, don't they?  :roll: Not full tailpipes, that is.
Matt

kb426

I fought this a lot. The choice came down to if I couldn't come up with something really eye catching, then I need to hide it. I have noticed that it has become common to use the flex hose to connect to the outlet to allow proper centering and allow the pipe to do the moving. Once again, I'm without an idea. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

I like thought processes as much as the idea fruit. Here are a couple fresh ripe piping hot ones.  :arrow:

Quadraphonic was too heavy for boss. Stereo is less busy, maaan.

Howzabout that hacked ponycar bumper flatulence? I figure a guy could maybe edit up the center of a Mustang front bumper to serve as a spreader out front. Theres potential there, I think. But yeah heres chrome out back. Heck we could just make a rounded pan, lose the tire mount and be done. It could be chromed or painted or even black. I'll be doing more but I should probably focus on fender length.

By the way, my story to go with the background is there was just a smoky donut then you park, go to the upwind side and catch the haze of your smoke you had on the way to the donut shop on rod tour day with your camera. And its worth going down on one knee to get the I smoked my fat meats pic for your fb group.  :lol:

Thats my thought process. I will walk into the Monday grey room and have to pull up the forum to see where I left off Friday.
Matt

idrivejunk

So far, the chrome bumper has gotten a better initial reaction than expected. I only say that because Mikey likes it. It, but also quad tips.  :idea:

Variety is the spice. Easier with pixels. Most of the time. Speaking shorthand because hand hurts. Good day, fine mood.  :arrow:

Made new tub inner wall, clamped. Scoring fender mount flange to chop off-

That was lunch. End of day, getting a roughly placed row of bolts going through tub, fender, and quarter. Working toward rear, flattening excess fender edge to mate to qtr. Tub hump will stay on qtr for keeps now, holds it still and screws to inner well which stays with structure / pan until welding day.

The way it sits now... the body seems quite sturdy. Should be rock-like.

Stand by for the evening variety special  :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Customer requested painted bumper, embedded invisible stang-look tail lights, keep beads at trunk sides.

Bam, done.

Matt

crdnblu

Sorry, but your customer should talk to some folks; it's a '31, not a 2019.  I don't think that back-end treatment works for a '30's ride, IMHO......

rumrumm

I like the valence, exhaust and license plate treatment. And if the tail lights are invisible until they light up, that's cool. I'm okay with something different. But I guess I would question durability with the tire so close. Maybe that would not be an issue if designed correctly.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

chris spokes

I just had a bit of a vomit  :shock: sorry
he who has the most toys wins

idrivejunk

The collective has a pulse!   :D

I was wondering how far I'd have to go to create the RRT version of a uproar. :lol:

You guys are great. 8)  

The customer came in today and we had our ducks in a row. I know what to do now, and I'll tell you everything but first we gotta eat our meat n veggies. :arrow:

I abandoned that yesterday fender because I felt like making this instead. Reached a point of wanting to know how I'll be tying tub to structure and this was the only piece I had a mental sketch for. Turns out it just barely touches the well. Oh well. :idea:

I was all set to cut that when boss asked me to roll the Catalina rubber under it because our hero would be in a little later.

Fast forward until that smoke cleared, and this is that right inner C pillar area at day's end-

Matt