Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Moose, that will look good. If you made that pan, how did you make the ends?

I searched for pans but very lightheartedly, didn't see rounded corners like you have or like I want to do. Saw one with the tag on the pan (hangs down) and thought to myself I had better see if he would rather have the tag where it is or down on the pan. Because he didn't know he was getting a pan when he bought the license panel and I can't be sure which tag location he would rather have.
Matt

enjenjo

Matt, I have hammer formed pan ends with just a Fiberfill form. Shape the Fiberfill on a two by 4 so you can clamp it down, and form the metal over it with a hammer, clamping as you go. It takes longer to make the form that it does to make the part. I have made dash panels, running boards rolled pan ends and other things with hammer forms.

https://www.classiccarrestorationclub.com/video/hammer-forming-an-overview-008758/

Ron Fournier was  big on using hammer forms, and I learned from his books You can find some of his books here on Amazon  https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0895867575/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2_olp?keywords=Sheet+Metal+Handbook%2C+by+Ron+%26+Sue+Fournier+%28SMB00%29&qid=1556505766&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmr0
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"Matt, I have hammer formed pan ends with just a Fiberfill form. Shape the Fiberfill on a two by 4 so you can clamp it down, and form the metal over it with a hammer, clamping as you go. It takes longer to make the form that it does to make the part. I have made dash panels, running boards rolled pan ends and other things with hammer forms.

https://www.classiccarrestorationclub.com/video/hammer-forming-an-overview-008758/

Ron Fournier was  big on using hammer forms, and I learned from his books You can find some of his books here on Amazon  https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0895867575/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2_olp?keywords=Sheet+Metal+Handbook%2C+by+Ron+%26+Sue+Fournier+%28SMB00%29&qid=1556505766&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmr0

Pillow stuffing? Huh? :?

Believe it or not, I have heard of hammer forming. I believe that technique is a little too fancy for my pay and don't have woodworking tools, so I'll wing it and hope for the best. Its worth a couple minute walkaround to see if the shapes exist on a junk part since theres not a no bondo clause. :wink:

I do have an idea of my own, if not. Not sure when I will make the part. Instinct is telling me the next place to focus is on vertical supports between tubs and seal beds. So I can lose that jack stand you keep seeing under the right side.

Thanks, Frank. 8)
Matt

moose

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Moose, that will look good. If you made that pan, how did you make the ends?

I searched for pans but very lightheartedly, didn't see rounded corners like you have or like I want to do. Saw one with the tag on the pan (hangs down) and thought to myself I had better see if he would rather have the tag where it is or down on the pan. Because he didn't know he was getting a pan when he bought the license panel and I can't be sure which tag location he would rather have.

Matt, I have the advantage of having an english wheel. I rough hammered the shape into a shot bag and wheeled smooth. For your application you might not want the same shaped ends as they wouldn't blend into the fender correctly. For the main body of the pan I made a station buck to match the shape I wanted.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "moose"
Quote from: "idrivejunk"Moose, that will look good. If you made that pan, how did you make the ends?

Matt, I have the advantage of having an english wheel. I rough hammered the shape into a shot bag and wheeled smooth. For your application you might not want the same shaped ends as they wouldn't blend into the fender correctly. For the main body of the pan I made a station buck to match the shape I wanted.

This is more the approach I have in mind, thinking a hitch ball might be a tool. :shock:

Theres an English wheel here but the adjustment part of it has issues. Thanks for the briefing, guys. My main concern is matching ends and both techniques may "sort of" come into play. I'll make light work of it if I can.

Here is another piece of the puzzle. I had to stare at it for quite awhile to conjure that because its Monday I reckon. I will be cutting the vertical tubing out but have designed an alternate location for it. Not sure that it will be needed though so I am pursuing the sheetmetal to see if that seems to be needed.

Sprayout of the initial color proposition:

Matt

moose

Matt you can certainly rough out and planish the ends with out use of a wheel.
The first side is easy it is matching the second side that gets finicky! Just make some good radius templates off the first side and sneak up on the match.

With your skill set I see no problem in you creating what you need! It is all up to pleasing the customer which is not always easy!

idrivejunk

We shall find out! The one who has been tough to please on this one is me because the Model A learning curve has been like a moonwalk. :shock:  :lol:

Left side is the filler neck side so it will look different, to an extent. Being closed off from the trunk. This right side I think will be open to the trunk side and it may have potential as a battery or trans computer spot. As you see, I plan to have the cabin bulkhead main panel unbolt. I see no reason why not to do that with the middle section of the trunk bulkhead as well.

No matter what the picture or my camera holding angle says, the rear edge of the panel is plumb or a near approximation thereof. :)

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Did I hurt eyes again with the Eddie Bauer Edition "Modern A" :?:  :shock:

Matt

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: idrivejunkDid I hurt eyes again with the Eddie Bauer Edition "Modern A" :?:  :shock:

When did the project turn into a 4X4   :?:  :?:  :shock:

From the illustration , you can see clear under the the thing .....  :?   Front & rear tires the same   :?:  :?:  :roll:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Interesting projects in the shop. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

Whats going into the pantera? They came with cleveland power originally . The paint scheme on the A is a little out of the ordinary as the darker colour in a 2 tone is usually found on the fenders . That was henry's choice so not necessarily right or wrong . All T's came with black fenders regardless of body colour in the last number of years .

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"Interesting projects in the shop. :)

Theres never a dull moment. Always feel free to ask about 'em. :)  

That one showed the top (center bolt hole needs a small hogging yet) and driver's side bolts in and plug weld prep on screwed upper panel. This one shows the new panel, just barely tacked, clamped, screwed, and bolted in place.

Putting a row of quarter inch nuts at the bottom, strip for that is in progress. Its just laying in there.

Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: UGLY OLDS
Quote from: "idrivejunk"Did I hurt eyes again with the Eddie Bauer Edition "Modern A" :?:  :shock:

When did the project turn into a 4X4   :?:  :?:  :shock:

From the illustration , you can see clear under the the thing .....  :?   Front & rear tires the same   :?:  :?:  :roll:

Bob... :wink:

Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"Whats going into the pantera? They came with cleveland power originally . The paint scheme on the A is a little out of the ordinary as the darker colour in a 2 tone is usually found on the fenders . That was henry's choice so not necessarily right or wrong . All T's came with black fenders regardless of body colour in the last number of years .

When I first heard the color combo, that was my initial verbal response: "The tan on the fenders?"

:?  :shock:

Probably just a paint job on this, just guessing. Glancing at pics, left qtr has an outie over the wheel. Looks like.

Matt