Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Thanks for the kind words, gents. Its been an adventure this week, I've been the only bodyman who showed up. One has the flu. I enjoy a job mix, and try to do all I can when we are shorthanded. There hasn't been a slow winter since I've been there but it wasn't always that way.  :)

There was good access behind the bug quarter and that always helps.

Matt

UGLY OLDS

It kinda looks like you are not the first person to visit that area .. :shock:    Unless VW is using plastic filler to repair assembly line "mis-haps".. :roll:  :roll:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"It kinda looks like you are not the first person to visit that area .. :shock:    Unless VW is using plastic filler to repair assembly line "mis-haps".. :roll:  :roll:

Bob.. :wink:

Good eye! :wink:  Yessir, toward the bottom rear there is an unfortunately overworked previous repair. It is an oil can... of worms and has been duly bypassed since this is insurance work. Fortunately, I believe the whole mess will bury as-is. Boss may choose to make the owner aware, plans could change.. I backed away. :idea:  :-}  :arrow:

I'm over here now, picking right up where I left off...

Matt

idrivejunk

Today I averaged around one yard of weld per hour, grinding one side. Jambs welded to quarters, backside smoothed. Sample spot on face. Hello, sweet monotony.

3 coats poly here, and a couple of the big spoiler bolt holes in the hatch shell are in the wrong place and not covered by the trim panel. Nifty.

Matt

kb426

The mustang owner will be pleased when this is finished. He should be happy it didn't sit in a corner for months before being worked on. :) Will the painter make the rest of the paint look not so good? Is it scheduled for a complete repaint?
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"The mustang owner will be pleased when this is finished. He should be happy it didn't sit in a corner for months before being worked on. :) Will the painter make the rest of the paint look not so good? Is it scheduled for a complete repaint?

At least some of the car has our paint on it already so match might be a snap. Last I knew, driver's door is the only blend panel so the front clip plus right door get nothing. I don't think I showed how the steering wheel is bent but to me it looks like it needs a column.
Matt

idrivejunk

Welds ground on door jamb face side, R qtr-

Straightening / planishing, R qtr at patch-

Matt

idrivejunk

Still doing stuff to finish out that patch and quarter. Meanwhile:

Braces made from cut 14 ga 1x2" in top pic attach to door shell and fit closely against the skin-

This pic is from the wondow motor's eye view, looking up inside the door. Ignore the missing section of window channel. One brace is laying in the foreground, the other is loosely clamped in place, tucked into the body line, but that position may end up lower. I plan to use one per door, and with dabs or beads of sealer on the face of the brace to support the skin. The idea is to not only stiffen the door but also provide a greater degree of impact absorption in the event of a collision.

Speaking of collision, final primer on the younger Ford shown here-

Matt

idrivejunk

I wanted to drop this pic of Dad's real deal biz coupe someplace, and my current variety thread here works. Grandma was a bigwig at the revenue office but he had to pay a four dollar fine to get the tag number out of sequence or something.

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Right quarter, trimmed along bottom now-

Welded split in body line below window and tab at top right. Other recent work also visible.

Inside qtr, at rear tip. See missing flange for tail panel. Have scrap selected and clean for patch there. Note previous patch at bottom as spare tire panel flange, now with pie cuts welded and joint ground.

Flip it over. This is the outside of the same area, finished plus with three nearby holes welded which appeared after blasting.

Another fine mess, damage along the beaded top edge of the panel at the trunk gap. Tail panel flange will be fixed after this is satisfactory.

So far, so good. Heres a dimly lit epoxy shot of the Blazer rocker before it gets too dusty.

Matt

idrivejunk

I have concluded, after giving it a noble effort, that I'll need to do surgery on the face of that quarter to get an even bead width at the trunk. I have sliced and diced enough to get a decently straight inner edge. Now its hanging on the body frame until I take the doors to the next stage and get back where I was with doors and quarters lining up. Then I can nail down the trunk. Heres some pics from that front-

Today I got started tying up loose ends to skin a door.  You can see that the outer skin brace landed at the latch height, and that the door bottom panel is too wide. Which beats too short, for sure.

Trying to decide whether to butt the long cut there or leave a small overlap and put beads on the inside. What would you do? As a hobbyist, I'd butt it. Leaning toward overlap.
Matt

chris spokes

what I would do is leave a 5 mm (quarter inch) lip and use my stepping tool to make a recess and over lap it so you end up with a flat bottom  8)
he who has the most toys wins

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chris spokes"what I would do is leave a 5 mm (quarter inch) lip and use my stepping tool to make a recess and over lap it so you end up with a flat bottom  8)

I sure would have stepped it but there wasn't 5mm to overlap. Boss liked this simpler alternative, and whats there may bridge with poly primer. If not, a scrape of seam sealer then urethane primer after that... just like it would need if it were stepped.  :idea:  :arrow:

Matt