Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

There are people that live in their car. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

There are those who choose to live in squalor. :)

Then theres me, working half a day just to save a quarter-

More fresh meat for somebody-

Matt

kb426

There's a guy on pro-touring.com that has been rebuilding early mustang fastbacks from virtually nothing. The owner of one has said that he will have around 13 grand when it's ready to go to the paint shop versus 16 grand for a new one. It appears having the original vin is the motivating force. All that guy does is that generation of Mustangs. He's not as interesting to watch as the Chop Shop. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"There's a guy on pro-touring.com that has been rebuilding early mustang fastbacks from virtually nothing. The owner of one has said that he will have around 13 grand when it's ready to go to the paint shop versus 16 grand for a new one. It appears having the original vin is the motivating force. All that guy does is that generation of Mustangs. He's not as interesting to watch as the Chop Shop. :)

Theres a born fastback on death row at the shop. Gary ought to get in touch if it has a title.

Hey, come to think of it there was a chop in all that Model A business wasn't there? :idea:
Matt

chimp koose

65 fastback was my high school car and first drag car.  :D  :D  :D the lines of a 65 fastback still give me goosebumps

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"65 fastback was my high school car and first drag car.  :D  :D  :D the lines of a 65 fastback still give me goosebumps

Cool 8)

Its tough to put your finger on, something about how the quarters visually become fins maybe... but yes... fastback Mustang lines are one of the happy flukes which have potential to be a hit, that can happen when you try hard to be creative. The 69 GP is also handsome from the angle shown in the top pic but defies definition. I just know I like it. Gives Dad goosebumps. Whatever the fastback eye magic is, it works and my top pic captured it. Looking at car bodies in varied dull dark finishes sans trim is often more fun to me than seeing them dressed out. The 59 Catalina is another one that really catches the eye as a bare body in black. The model A, believe it or not, is one I have not tried to visualize done.
Matt

chimp koose

mine made it into national dragster in July of 83. I was runner up at a big event . Never got a copy of that nat dragster but have a picture of the page somewhere

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Heres how the Cobra sits, I cleaned up the car side and started trying to wiggle the panel in. Since then, I decided to separate the donor quarter piece from the tail panel. I'm at that point where the dirty work is done.   :)

More Model A action next year...
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Quarter pooched out in the middle on top pic, not on bottom pic-

Side gap also happy. It had been tighter where the buckle was. Dead blow on 2x4 did all this. Only one finger was swatted.

Hatch gap at roof mostly OK but right corner is wide, left is tight. Theres a shim under the left hinge to raise it and the right sits high by about that much, might have to massage more on either the hatch lip or hinge pad to make it real nice.

Then I cut the face off my little quarter section, opting for a corner weld-

Matt

idrivejunk

Absolutely spellbinding internet content, ain't it?  :roll:

:lol:

Having welder withdrawals at this point, but its a'coming. :wink:  :arrow:
Matt

416Ford

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Absolutely spellbinding internet content, ain't it?  :roll:

You Betcha. Great stuff there.
Wish I had a spare tail panel for the Torino. I looked for over a year and all I found was "Rust Free" JUNK.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "416Ford"
Quote from: "idrivejunk"Absolutely spellbinding internet content, ain't it?  :roll:

You Betcha. Great stuff there.
Wish I had a spare tail panel for the Torino. I looked for over a year and all I found was "Rust Free" JUNK.

I wish you did, too. Dig that car, man. You done knocked some hard parts of it out though. The panel savior dance is unmerciful. Spurs creativity at times though, in speech and everything. :(D)

Me and the red snake here ain't had a bad honk. Its just not my bag anymore, fixing wrecks. Let alone the dreaded near-totaled salvage parts sideshow. When I did fix wrecks, computerized measuring was everything to me and I split hairs on perfect new junk so its the anti of what I tried to represent as a late model and luxury insurance paid collision man.

Ack, that sounded lucid. Must insert more poppycock...

:lol:

The gutter was last thing and I don't call any of this quite finished. But a half Friday ought to see it through my part. Hoping. :)

Matt

idrivejunk

Dad's Model A, around 1953. He finally dug up pics and for me, they are sentimental heavyweights. He has always told me I come by "it" honest... the affection for cars.

Matt