Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

The short work day got cut even shorter and I wasn't ready. Current state-

Matt

idrivejunk

Gap is a fairly consistent 1/4" around the door and I assure you it is reasonably flush. After fill and paint, I'd say it will end up with the desired 3/16".

Customer has expressed interest in a dash like a Mustang. Theres 10" width difference but the column location isn't off more than an inch according to this rough tracing of a '68 instrument panel. Tape at bottom is on right leg of column con rod. I formulated three mental options in case it comes up, if anyone is interested.

Matt

kb426

I'm a fan of that dash but I haven't come up with a way that looks like it belongs there. I'm watching. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Why does it need to "belong"? The man is paying, he ought to get exactly what he came for. If thats a Mustang dash, I'll do what I can. :)
Matt

idrivejunk

I am reminded of some old school black bodyman quotes I have collected over the years and kept in use:

"Hey... You want a carburetor on your quarter panel? Bring me six, I will put three carburetors on each quarter panel." That guy could fix anything, he was cool. He had 3 Buick Grand Nationals, a T-type, and a turbo Regal that were stolen all at once. Guess which one got driven through the wall first by the thieves.  :shock:

This one, I know you'll enjoy. I'm the 20 something white paint mixer guy trying to tell a man who has painted cars for 30 years that he needs to buy enamel reducer, not lacquer thinner. He is all like  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  and says:

"Lookahere. If I stand right here and * on the floor, and you stand right there and * on the floor... its gonna run together and be yellow."

So yeah... like the three carbs...

If a guy is willing to bite the bullet and have an IDJ job done, he should get the thing he wished for. Honestly I was skeptical as well but the twin big round chrome bezels work in there somehow. To my eye. All it would take is a nudge for me to attempt a rendering. Mike is on board with the idea and I think throwing a little Mustang in here or there befits the Coyote mill. If we just did "classic and traditional restoration" not only would it be less exciting but the business probably wouldn't still be here. I think its nifty that theres a shop even just as "anything goes" as we are. Keep watching and we'll pry your minds open one way or the other! ;)

Not debating but yes offering discussion and thanks, KB. Rodders need fodder. :lol: That was the comedy monologue. Stay tuned for our featured repair and guest segment, coming right up.  :arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

I was able to avoid adding material to the front edge of the door to correct gap at about the top half of the new skin by planishing the * out of the folded edge. Beating it thinner so it sticks out into the gap more. Dang if it wasn't juuust enough.  :)

These angles are to show that... glory be... there is a flowing body line to be had. Thats a relief!

Wanna see inside?

That ought to do ya, on driver's door pics. For now. Side B is underway-

I rate those door skins pretty fair but a novice might have nightmares. Kids, try this at home.  :idea:

I also thought up an idea for the gas fill but failed to get a pic. Thats OK, I'll feed these non-traditional aspects to you slow.  :)

Now for things that blaze or wear saddles-

The parts and this fastback must be from different dimensions. First the wheelhouse dance and now... whoever made that quarter, their press hits like a girl.  :roll:  :lol:

Matt

enjenjo

Are the red Vice-grips so you know who they belong to? :lol:

Are you going to do anything with the front end of the belt molding on the quarter so it matches the door gap better?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"Are the red Vice-grips so you know who they belong to? :lol:

Are you going to do anything with the front end of the belt molding on the quarter so it matches the door gap better?

Either that or a rattle bomb was punctured. :lol:

Haven't thought much about sharpening up the end of the belt, but the radius is enlarged there and would look best if I slice bend weld it to more closely resemble the front. In theory... no big whoopie. I am aware of it but haven't addressed it because I haven't been sure if it was outside bondo range. Prolly is, just a bit. Good eye, good Q. Keep on watching.

Thanks for stopping in.  :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Don't look to hard at the door gap, both quarter and cowl are not connected at the bottom.

That skin seam is good to go but boy, that smaller lower body line needs some help now. I didn't pick up on that but from a foot away but sure can see it in the pics. I can reach the area somewhat but exerting much force is tough. The trick is since you gotta have hands doing stuff on both sides of the door skin, you can't get the eyeball angle you need. So that could be laborious bringing it into the mudable realm. I probably am somewhat responsible because of being mean to it getting the weld area ironed out and also my handle shave patch needs more grinding in the groove at the edge but yeah... it could probably be "paved" right now but I'm not done yet.

Here are a couple shots from during the process-

I had already moved on to the cowl, working toward firewall-

Turned the .030 wire'd welder over to Longhair for his big long butt-  :lol:

Woops almost forgot to show you my gas flap proposition-

Life cereal moved the cat's butler to stuff the rack tight between crank pulley and balancer-

How many threads is that nut on there? :D

Theres a new man, I hear he was a dealer tech... working on a bellybutton LS swap into a round S10. Painter put the red Cobra together with new carpet but its incomplete as in no latch yet for a gap pic. Paint came out nice but there was a re- clearing due to defects. Shhh! Anyway he has moved to teardown on the blue Ford pickup, for my roof job. I spotted something on that the other day that might throw a curveball at replacing the roof skin.

I say that to build suspense and pique interest.  :)  Because its coming... :arrow:

It may not look like it but I've been trying to sprint on this leg of the A job before starting on the truck. I am almost at a good point to turn it over to Mike for the next stage of plotting plumbing and such. Man. Its a non-stop bop at the shop.
Matt

UGLY OLDS

It looks like your buddy lost his shirt on that Mustang job...... :shock:  :?  :lol:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

That sure beats losing this-  :)(

:shock:  :)S(  :-}  :ha)

The today version... we swapped welders and I got to cuss for the day.  :roll:

Coming attraction-

Much wheelspin today, didn't hook til a thousand feet. Turns out the firewall end of the cowl had some twist. A significant amount but pallet wood was enough leverage to correct. No degradation of cabin fit noted, but I would not be suprised if alterations to the structure are needed to re-establish a valid center line that jives with where the body shell ends up. The rocker jambs aren't symmetrical and that concerns me but not greatly yet.

While spending the whole morning positioning the front bottom corner of the cowl, I noted that some distortion possibly resulting in a rake variance side-to side has occurred. Such is to be expected via the approach taken, and it was. I am not suprised or upset, perhaps a little swing-and-miss feeling vs a formidable opponent. No worries, I dont skip past those type things unless I'm packing a solution that works later. Didn't touch that door today, I am racing to make the thing a unit before the 67 truck is fully prepped for surgery and the donor is on my silver platter with matching table spoon and somebody to work it for me. :D

Minimal visible progress but I was standing there with the firewall in one hand and cutoff wheel in the other when Pontiac time came. (4:55)

Matt

chimp koose

65 66 fastbacks were the prettiest mustangs ever . please keep us up to date on that one  :)

idrivejunk

Guys, today I saw my tax preparer and well, thats it. I am done for. Obamacare destroyed me despite my best efforts. I don't know what so say, still in disbelief and failing to grasp how I deserve to be extinguished when I seem healthy and am doing fine on the job. Don't pity me but step wide, gents. Fair warning and nuff said. Off to have a head-in-hands sob to kick off the weekend. :arrow:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :evil:
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"I'm a fan of that dash but I haven't come up with a way that looks like it belongs there. I'm watching. :)

Hows this messy napkin sketch grab you? The proportions have an approximate foundation in reality. Does this help? I'm listening. Anyone?

Art critics... have mercy.  :)  Strike me down if this is blasphemy. I figure someone has done it already.

Matt

chimp koose

looks ok but for one proportion , the windshield is flush with the door frame so the dash will fit farther into the car than your drawing shows . I would also put the eyebrows of the dash level with the bottoms of the door glass . I wonder what a 65 ford truck dash might look like in there . Since it has no upholstery it could be finished in a metalflake the same shade as the rest of the car ! 8)