Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

that car just looks sinister 8)

idrivejunk

Her halo just doesn't show up in photos.  :wink:

Incarnated, she would be an old hag former goth chick with neck tattoos and nothing unpierced.   :lol:  

I like her better this way.  :)

You all wanted color... well... you know what Ford said about that:

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

I get the feeling here that photos containing body filler are either percieved as some sort of admission of guilt, or as something too hideous to reveal. Oh well. Five people, tops, visit. So here are the latest primer shots and you can guess what it looked like before priming-

Zero truck pics, too. Zero interest, zero participation. :)
Matt

jaybee

Nothing wrong with filler in moderation. Particularly compared to spraying coat after coat of high build primer to claim no filler was used.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

You know every car ever built had some type of filler on it. From lacquer paste in the 1920s to Polyester today. Anyone who says different is lying! If we were perfect there would be no need for block sanding.  I am amazed at what you do with parts that should have been scrapped.

You said a couple months ago that you wanted to slow down on the posting, so I have not been mentioning the F1 although what you have been doing looks well done. I like the work on the back of the cab.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Thanks. The not posting F1 here has given me back a great deal of much needed time. :)

But nobody wants to know theres filler on things. I think knowing how to do filler work is very important and I did it almost exclusively for years. But theres nothing there people want to learn, nobody wants to do it or be caught near it, and its somebody else's job now. But its part of the car build and has to be done well and I think it would be misleading to not show it. Whether I am satisfied with any aspect of the post-Matt work on the job is for me to know. :wink:
Matt

kb426

I use filler and it doesn't bother me one bit. I've seen plenty of snobbery in the auto world. Sometimes it's justified, sometimes not. I have yet to meet someone who does everything as good as it can be. I'm on the bottom of the totem pole and know it. The alternative is to not do anything. Not going to happen until I physically can't do it. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

I changed spark plugs in a FWD V6 yesterday and need to push mow today but my hands hurt so bad I feel near that point myself. Bondo is the thing that had pretty much blown away my right arm right before it was broken. Often I catch myself staring at my hands wondering how I can still use them at all. Fabrication is probably the kindest position in the house as far as bad hands go, but it is often a hundred air hose coupler uses a day and often near constant air tool use for the entire work day. So yeah I don't want any part of it either but its part of a project and observers can learn from pics. Making that guys life a little easier is why I show this stuff at all.
Matt

chimp koose

Its usually the guy that has never attempted body work that scoffs at using bondo . Armchair expert. I know enough about bodywork to know that i don't know enough about bodywork . Every time I do body work , most of the materials I used the last time are obsolete/illegal . I will body/paint my T but it will be single stage paint . And a little metalflake in a place yet to be determined! I can't wait to see the A in colour .

chimp koose

Its usually the guy that has never attempted body work that scoffs at using bondo . Armchair expert. I know enough about bodywork to know that i don't know enough about bodywork . Every time I do body work , most of the materials I used the last time are obsolete/illegal . I will body/paint my T but it will be single stage paint . And a little metalflake in a place yet to be determined! I can't wait to see the A in colour .

idrivejunk

Well, its rusted crud

Its dust and mud

Its the roar of the forum crowd.

Its the sand on the paper

The hand of the shaper

Bucking for the next year's show.

Its gloves and masks

and week long tasks

with a spreader and a mixing board.

Its stains on your hands

and regardless of brand

They call it's name Bondo!

Woa-Woah

:lol:

I wish they could all go with pearl colors, six sided mica FLAKEs look soooo good on round things. :D
Matt

jaybee

For a while it was all the rage for the big dollar guys to show cars in bare metal, implying that you knew you were looking at something really perfect. I'll grant the welds have to be finished flat and free of pinholes and there can't be any creases or serious dents, but I don't buy the implication you're showing metalwork so perfect you could just spray finish over it and call it good...which was clearly what we were meant to believe. The Scotchbrite finish isn't shiny enough to give any clue if you're actually going to get perfect reflections off it...and you probably won't.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

moose

Matt,
Do not worry what or if anyone says filler is not proper. Here is my Coupe project. I consider myself a metalshaper BUT I also know that there is a point where it does not make CENT$ to take all or even any project to "perfection" in bare metal.

Those who show that way are just in a * ego contest! Yeah I could take the time and effort to pound and pick till it looks near smooth BUT would it make for a better automobile when painted NO!

idrivejunk

Those are cool thoughts and pics  8)  I can't wait to see all the parts together again. They are gathering nearer to the chassis pile these days, thats a good sign. :)

Now lets be nosy a little...

Thats whats next to the pile. And a Cat pic!  :!:

Topper lid off that FJ got resin coated both sides-

Two fastback jobs at once. Don't see that every day.

Then theres-

and-

Matt