Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

Friend of mine did that with mosquito screen and bondo on the rear quarters of a mid 70s 6 cyl camaro . Sold it to a used car lot out of town and took the greyhound home ! These days he does truly amazing work , you gotta start somewhere  :lol:

idrivejunk

My friend in high school had a 68 RS with nothing but newspaper wads on top of the remnants of a windshield upper brace, covered by mud. The wall actually has a whole can of bondo that was mixed in a Mustang rear pan. It knows no boundaries. :shock:
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

enjenjo

So that cab was not as nice as it looked. :shock:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Less decieving in person perhaps but I would call it par for the course.
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

kb426

Model A is looking good. I wondered what polyester primer looked like when somebody besides me sprayed it. Now I know. From what I have learned. it's too thick to spray without orange peel. Is that always the case?
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

If a peel free surface is the objective, polyester would be used out of context. You have seen plenty of it that I sprayed over the years. :wink:

If its a hint type tip you'd like... our man expressed concern for this (We have not settled on a new brand since our previous favorite became extinct). I advised thusly and would with any of them: I tapped the mid temp reducer can then gestured 5 fingers, saying last coat or if its going badly. Kills your build. Acetone may be recommended but flashes way too fast IMO. Some throw 10% cleanup thinner in all coats but me and the guy agree that while presentation can be a factor, reduction defeats the purpose and should be kept to a minimum. Fortunately, our man is a gun hand and had the right one. I told him good job. 8)
Matt

WZ JUNK

Quote from: kb426Model A is looking good. I wondered what polyester primer looked like when somebody besides me sprayed it. Now I know. From what I have learned. it's too thick to spray without orange peel. Is that always the case?[/quote

I add extra reducer to get it to flow and lay down.  If it goes on to rough, all your blocking goes into taking out the texture.  My         2 cents
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

In California they thin with acetone because they are very limited on how much reducer they can use. in most cases one gallon per month per painter. I have used acetone when I am going to do a double coat coat on a small part as it flashes off so fast. A resonably thick coat of polyester is not a problem since it cures from the inside out.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Matt

kb426

Matt, what is the color choice on the A?
TEAM SMART