What are you doing today? 2018

Started by enjenjo, December 31, 2017, 03:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Storms came through last night, knocked down a couple sections of privacy fence out back, on the east side. On the west end, high wind also finally broke the top of the dead tree off, thats the one over the fence at the dog neighbor. Lady-who-piles-cut-grass-on-my-ride-'s shed caught the falling tree and its smashed. Imagine that. All these years, she pleaded with cities (tree on boundary line, in easement) and the guy-across-the-fence-who-nearly-drove-me-mad-with-a-dog-and-police-calls... to cut it down. Now I have not seen her in weeks and her shed is smashed wide open just as she said it would be. Glad it didn't fall in my yard but dang. :(

Daily driver may have blown a gasket too, leaking coolant. One bad thing about 3800s, you can't make it through the briar patch to touch or see the actual engine. I would guess LIM gasket by where its wet but last time it was wet there, it was the rad cap leaking. As usual, I'll just gave to drive it until a complete failure so the problem is obvious enough and hope it happens somewhere safe.

It would be a good day to climb back into bed but somebody's super loud dog two houses down is ruining the day. Theres one of those to the east and west now. :roll:
Matt

348tripower

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Storms came through last night, knocked down a couple sections of privacy fence out back, on the east side. On the west end, high wind also finally broke the top of the dead tree off, thats the one over the fence at the dog neighbor. Lady-who-piles-cut-grass-on-my-ride-'s shed caught the falling tree and its smashed. Imagine that. All these years, she pleaded with cities (tree on boundary line, in easement) and the guy-across-the-fence-who-nearly-drove-me-mad-with-a-dog-and-police-calls... to cut it down. Now I have not seen her in weeks and her shed is smashed wide open just as she said it would be. Glad it didn't fall in my yard but dang. :(

Daily driver may have blown a gasket too, leaking coolant. One bad thing about 3800s, you can't make it through the briar patch to touch or see the actual engine. I would guess LIM gasket by where its wet but last time it was wet there, it was the rad cap leaking. As usual, I'll just gave to drive it until a complete failure so the problem is obvious enough and hope it happens somewhere safe.

It would be a good day to climb back into bed but somebody's super loud dog two houses down is ruining the day. Theres one of those to the east and west now. :roll:

Those 3800 have plastic heater hose connectors in the water pump and block. They will fail around the o ring and leak. There a aluminum aftermarket connectors made to fix the problem. If you haven't replaced them check closely. It will look like the intake is leaking.
Don Colliau

Crosley.In.AZ

We did a bunch of  trimming of the bushes in front yard. Keeps the olde people a bit more limber.. End of the year deal.  

The a/c service company was out for yearly tune up check. A good report, although they always try to sell you something.  This years deal is a surge protector for the condensing  unit on the ground.  In the past decades, I have never been told I need a surge protector  on my a/c  :?:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

cut the roadster off the table and finished all the welding . Weld the spindle bosses on the axle tomorrow . Just need some 1 5/8 x .120DOM to make the front halo bar that was ground down when the car went down the track upside down .

idrivejunk

Quote from: "348tripower"
Quote from: "idrivejunk"Daily driver may have blown a gasket too, leaking coolant. One bad thing about 3800s, you can't make it through the briar patch to touch or see the actual engine. I would guess LIM gasket by where its wet but last time it was wet there, it was the rad cap leaking. As usual, I'll just gave to drive it until a complete failure so the problem is obvious enough and hope it happens somewhere safe.

Those 3800 have plastic heater hose connectors in the water pump and block. They will fail around the o ring and leak. There a aluminum aftermarket connectors made to fix the problem. If you haven't replaced them check closely. It will look like the intake is leaking.

Yep, I just replaced them. Now, today. Metal, Dormans. It has become almost a bi-annual ritual. Replaced these last ones which were Napa just a few months ago. I have been driving 3800 Grand Prixs since July of '09 and have done the job probably a half dozen times or more. No solution available, crap only.  :roll: The first few times, I used plastic. The only difference is if they break off at the O-ring groove. Mine don't stay in long enough to rot, the O-rings just don't fit the car. The ones I got today had a couple of the o-rings twisted. But the whole setup is a joke, with that gigantic flow-through cast alternator bracket. Worst design point on the whole car, or close to it.
Matt

kb426

33 years ago, I bought my mill. It's an Enco bench mill that allowed me to do way more than before. Almost a month ago, Grizzly Tools had a sale. I had watched them and Precision Matthews for at least a year and they didn't have sales on mills. With the new tariffs, the price would go up $200 every time I checked in the last 6 months. Grizzly has 1 that I was watching that was $200 off. I was starting to get interested when I saw that they had a variable speed model that was out of what I was willing to spend and it was discounted $1300. It now sits in my shop. The pics are of the mill fresh from the crate and covered in cosmoline and the hoist blocked up to get it high enough to get the mill out of my truck. :) This weighs 700 lbs and my Dakota was turned into a low rider as the crate was all the way to the back. The truck probably went up 6" after unloading. :)
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Looks like Santa came early.  I have several Grizzly tools, but then the Grizzly store is close to me.  I have been to their tent sale and I bought a few things.  There are some real bargains or at least there was the times I went. The tent sale is usually in June.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

chimp koose

I got my induma mill 3 or more years ago and have not hooked it up yet . I have 3 mills at work 2 miles from home . My lathe has sat for longer ,again i have 14 lathes in my shop at work . When i retire in about 5 years i will have to fire these machines up . I will probably wonder then why i waited so long to get them going . Congrats on the new mill . Its funny that you call your shop old and slow when you do enough work to wear out a mill !

Ohio Blue Tip

I have about the same mill and a 12" lathe to match.  Had them for several years and they have worked very well.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

kb426

C.K., the mill isn't near as wore as the operator. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

After 2 hours of cleaning, the Grizzly is mostly cosmoline free. I installed the table drive and it seems to be working properly. It's ready for the swap to the mounting stand.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Gee Guys ....I asked Cathy if I too could get a new mill... She asked what was wrong with the one that I have .... :roll:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

lofat46

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Gee Guys ....I asked Cathy if I too could get a new mill... She asked what was wrong with the one that I have .... :roll:

Bob... :wink:

Nice one Bob. I'll have to file that one away for future use.  :lol:

sirstude

Been building air conditioning lines inside the car, and to run under the fender.  Just put the fender back on to make those under fender lines.  Haven't seen a front fender on it in several years.   These barrier lines are sure big around, first time I have used it.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "sirstude"Been building air conditioning lines inside the car, and to run under the fender.  Just put the fender back on to make those under fender lines.  Haven't seen a front fender on it in several years.   These barrier lines are sure big around, first time I have used it.

But that's why GM made our front fenders the size that they did .... :idea:   That's where mine are too.... :lol:  :lol:  8)

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****