What are you doing today? 2018

Started by enjenjo, December 31, 2017, 03:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Saturday: Installed new LED tail lights on my car trailer.. OEM lights were new in 1990.   Discovered the 7 pin RV  trailer plug is bad.  Connections inside it , must be loose. There are some hot spots (bubbles) on the plastic.

The tires are junk.  Newest tire is from 2005.  So, I think some new tires are due. The spare tire for the trailer is in worse shape.. I imagine the hub bearings  should be repacked with grease... see what shape the brakes are in when I take the hub & drums off.

I have not used this trailer in about 3 yrs.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

Yesterday was our first cold snap of the winter.  It was about 13 degrees.  I banked a fire in my outside shop furnace the night before.  I went out to the shop at first light and put in 3 sticks of firewood and turned on the automatic furnace controls and them I went back to the house for breakfast.  About an hour later I went out to add more wood and check on things.  It was 90 degrees in the shop!  My furnace controls had malfunctioned and did not shut off the automatic draft for the fire.  I opened the shop doors to cool it down.  I bet the neighbors were wondering why I had the shop doors open.  Later I ordered a new furnace controller.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

58 Yeoman

We'll be hauling 3 refrigerators and 3 stoves 165 miles to my stepsons apartment building. We've been getting great deals on used appliances here, and he's refurbing his apartments. Nice day for a drive, but geez, it's cold out there; 20* right now.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Yesterday was our first cold snap of the winter.  It was about 13 degrees.  I banked a fire in my outside shop furnace the night before.  I went out to the shop at first light and put in 3 sticks of firewood and turned on the automatic furnace controls and them I went back to the house for breakfast.  About an hour later I went out to add more wood and check on things.  It was 90 degrees in the shop!  My furnace controls had malfunctioned and did not shut off the automatic draft for the fire.  I opened the shop doors to cool it down.  I bet the neighbors were wondering why I had the shop doors open.  Later I ordered a new furnace controller.  

John

Cold in Michigan also!  Stay warm John.
Still chasing leaves between the snow flakes.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Charlie Chops 1940

I had a hernia repaired on Monday. Getting around okay but on restricted duty for a couple weeks at least. 10# weight limit.I'm gonna try to catch up on paperwork in the shop.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

416Ford

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I had a hernia repaired on Monday. Getting around okay but on restricted duty for a couple weeks at least. 10# weight limit.I'm gonna try to catch up on paperwork in the shop.

You can come over to my place and do body work if you want Charlie. That would be less then 10#.  :)
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

Crosley.In.AZ

A week ago, I visited my buddy house to look n see the progress on the Studebaker truck.  He had the interior cleaned out.  Doors off.  General clean up of the debris mess.

As we chat, I look at the engine.  There are rat turds sitting on the engine.  I question my buddy about the clean up and he says he may have missed a few.  Well... there are little turds every where.  I tell him there must be a varmint still living in the truck.  Likely a packrat varmint.

Flash forward a week:  my buddy has seen the rat.  It was a moment where he was walking around his shop building and the rat was coming at him a "Doh" moment!  My buddy has set out traps, glue stick boards, small wire cage trap.  A few items set off, no varmint caught yet.

A packrat is about the size of a hamster. Looks like a large field mouse. Also known as:  packrat, woodrat, desertrat..  They gather up stuff to build nest where they live.

A number check on the truck:  shows it started life as a 6 cyl 170 cid engine, 3 on the tree.  My buddy has not cleaned off the engine block area yet to find a number on it for the size of this Y block
Tony

58 Yeoman

Tony, we get mice in the house that go into the cabinet drawer to get shreds of toilet paper for their nest. I use the kind of trap where the mouse has to go inside, like a little cave. I put the peanut butter in the bait cup, then a few shreds of TP. I've caught a couple that were after the TP.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

There was a packrat living in the 58 Ford that I brought to town last year for the rolling dumpster project. When he finally looked over the bellhousing at me while I was removing the short block and trans, I don't know who was more surprised. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

I have that pail - antifreeze trap in my shop . It  works  :twisted:

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Tony, we get mice in the house that go into the cabinet drawer to get shreds of toilet paper for their nest. I use the kind of trap where the mouse has to go inside, like a little cave. I put the peanut butter in the bait cup, then a few shreds of TP. I've caught a couple that were after the TP.

the packrats out here in the southwest must be tough buggers.  They gather cactus bits, needles & all for nest. A person wonders how the heck they live and sleep in the stuff they gather in the desert.

We did a quik clean out the truck before loading on to the trailer in Tucson.  With the common yellow leather gloves on, the needles were sticking our fingers thru the leather.. all while we were being careful.
Tony

idrivejunk

I found a rabbit with the head chewed off out next to my large Pontiac yesterday. This weekend I did oil change and pair of tires on the small Pontiac. Thats huge in my world. :)
Matt

chimp koose

I started welding the roadster chassis together today . I put in an extra cross member and diagonal  in front of engine out to the front axle . The chassis previously was open on the bottom from the rear trans mount out to the front axle on a 125" wheelbase car . Probably about a 70" long span with no cross members or diagonals .Hopefully I will have the top rails in tomorrow .

chimp koose

top rails , front axle and diagonals and uprights in and tracked in place tonight . Maybe finish welding tomorrow , then cut it off the table and finish the welds that need doing from the bottom .

chimp koose

tomorrow I flip the car and weld from the bottom