What are you doing today? 2018

Started by enjenjo, December 31, 2017, 03:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Took my 2013 Goldwing motorcycle in for the airbag safety recall.   Honda America was getting insistent with me that I have this done. First notice I received was in january 2018.

So... as with many things in my life: if it can go wrong , it will.  Repair Appointment was made 3 weeks ago. Airbag kit was shipped in from Honda. The box  was never opened for inspection. After 45+ yrs in auto repair field.  I learned many yrs ago: open the box, check the new part over. New parts arrive damaged, broke, wrong ... you name it.

The bike was disassembled, the part came out of the box with bent mounting bracket. Another airbag kit should arrive today (wednesday) over nite shipped.  I hope. I took tuesday off work to get this handled. And: it was not finished. Not the dealer's fault.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

UGLY OLDS

And: it was not finished. Not the dealer's fault.[/quote]

Were YOU supposed to go there & open/inspect the box  :?:  :?:  :roll:  :lol:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

58 Yeoman

Yeah, Tony, we know about checking the boxes. The rear springs for my Galaxie came in, and ended up being for a Mustang. Glad the guy on the phone was the one who made the order and not me. I told him Galaxie. When I called, the woman on the phone said that they don't even sell springs for Galaxies.

Ordered rear spring bushings at NAPA day before yesterday, as it seems all the available (affordable) ones are hard to get. I asked if she could get the 8 that I needed. She said yes. Cool, then order me 4 boxes, as there are two to a box. Went to get them yesterday, and find TWO boxes. Someone at the warehouse thought we only wanted FOUR bushings. Picked up the other two boxes this am.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Crosley"Took my 2013 Goldwing motorcycle in for the airbag safety recall.   Honda America was getting insistent with me that I have this done. First notice I received was in january 2018.

So... as with many things in my life: if it can go wrong , it will.  Repair Appointment was made 3 weeks ago. Airbag kit was shipped in from Honda. The box  was never opened for inspection. After 45+ yrs in auto repair field.  I learned many yrs ago: open the box, check the new part over. New parts arrive damaged, broke, wrong ... you name it.

The bike was disassembled, the part came out of the box with bent mounting bracket. Another airbag kit should arrive today (wednesday) over nite shipped.  I hope. I took tuesday off work to get this handled. And: it was not finished. Not the dealer's fault.

I get nag postcards for my 99 Pontiacs' engine fire recall. Its the third or fourth solution they have done, replacing valve cover now but when they were just removing the harness shield I took the GT in and ended up going back because they had somehow cut a brand new plug wire almost in half. And I used to work with that tech so I thought I could trust him. It just about got me in trouble the first time it sputtered and of course the dealer had to stick a six foot plug wire where an 18" one was then clear the misfire code. Recalls, pfft.

And theres airbags on bikes? Oh my, without shoulder belts how can...

Airbags sure are a frequently recalled item, aren't they? As someone who reached out and touched one and had bones break, I say they are like unto throwing your parachute over a grenade. A different solution to supplemental restraints is needed.
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "idrivejunk"

Only Honda Goldwings are offered with Airbags.. since late 2006.  Top of the line Goldwing comes with all the other add-ons:

ABS, traction control, Sirrus XM, Nav with weather and traffic reports, surround sound, new 7 speed DCT.

If you have heard of the video online place YouTube, several videos of Honda test bikes with & without airbags run into the  sides of vehicles.
Tony

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "idrivejunk"

Only Honda Goldwings are offered with Airbags.. since late 2006.  Top of the line Goldwing comes with all the other add-ons:

ABS, traction control, Sirrus XM, Nav with weather and traffic reports, surround sound, new 7 speed DCT.

If you have heard of the video online place YouTube, several videos of Honda test bikes with & without airbags run into the  sides of vehicles.

Interesting. Looks like a neck snapper either way, but less skull crushing. Curious if it can be switched off. I would take most interest in seeing just how light or unusual of an impact sets it off. Thats where I got bit, a situation where injury and property damage was created where there could have been no injury. I just didn't realize airbags had made it onto bikes. Back under my rock to watch nothing but westerns. On youtube. :roll:
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"tomorrow I flip the car and weld from the bottom

I wish I were that far along  :roll:

Hey whats this :?:  :idea:  :arrow:

Matt

chimp koose

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"8) love the early ranchero !
I think I forgot to add wheelbase again. Actually not much changed from the last attempt.

Resume posting, gents... and I'll resume sticking to my job thread.   );b(
Matt

chimp koose

If you were to change anything , I would look at using  fordor doors as they are shorter and adding a little to the wheelbase . This is a '25 or earlier model , the 26/27 has a one piece windshield . Oh and can you make it a nice shade of METALFLAKE  :lol:

Crosley.In.AZ

Air line pipes under my work bench were olde, leaking , PVC pipe.  I installed some copper lines today.  1/2 inch pipe.

For those with sharpe eyeballs.  Yes the pipe running under the bench  length wise is wiggly .. that pipe is the soft copper pipe that comes rolled up.  It was left over from another project.
Tony

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"If you were to change anything , I would look at using  fordor doors as they are shorter and adding a little to the wheelbase . This is a '25 or earlier model , the 26/27 has a one piece windshield . Oh and can you make it a nice shade of METALFLAKE  :lol:

I posted a new version on the Nova Camino thread for you yesterday, check that out. I took liberties. );b(
Matt

kb426

Cleaned up leaves in the yard. Not good but way better than it was. It got dark and I quit. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I bought a Harbor Freight Vulcan Omnipro 220 welder. I opened it up today, from the looks of things, it appears to be pretty good quality. I have not welded with it yet. It is supposed to do stick Mig and tig DC. I'll let you know how it works.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

I got to work on the roadster chassis tonight . Working on mounting the steering rack . I will finish that tomorrow .