What are you doing today? 2018

Started by enjenjo, December 31, 2017, 03:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Following my nose, today I found that the dab of power steering fluid jug in my trunk had slung out of it's staying spot and deposited said dab into trunk carpet.  :roll:  No more trunk carpet or liquids back there now. :idea:
Matt

416Ford

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I ran my old truck at the dragstrip today.   This is the 19th year I have raced the truck.  I drive it to the track and drive it home.  I am not fast but I am consistent.  I helped Hooley run the Henry J.  (I fill the fuel tank each round and listen to him when he figures out the dial in)  This is the 12th year for the Henry J.

A good day to have a hot rod.

John

Sound like you had a great day John. No mention of fixing anything.  :)
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

Crosley.In.AZ

Sunday:  helped a buddy load up a Studebaker pickup he bought.  Near Tucson AZ...  in Oro Valley area.  1962 Studie as I recall.  I  will scare up a photo or 2 of it.

This one has the Studie bed on it , not the Dodge bed with Studebaker tail gate
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

It is time for the annual fall ritual.   The harvesting of the leaves.  No pay but plenty of work.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

took apart a thm 350 trans.. washed it up.  Going to used as a set up case in Studebaker Champ pick up.

Photos of my parts washer... before and after the thm350 case visited the parts washer for about 20 minutes
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Crosley"Sunday:  helped a buddy load up a Studebaker pickup he bought.  Near Tucson AZ...  in Oro Valley area.  1962 Studie as I recall.  I  will scare up a photo or 2 of it.

This one has the Studie bed on it , not the Dodge bed with Studebaker tail gate

Photos of my buddy's  Studebaker Champ truck he bought..  

He is gonna install a Ford  Ranger step side bed on it.  Fits well from what I seen photos on the internet..  He is looking at a 8.8 Ford rear differential for it too. Power will be 283 chevy.

I have suggested he remove the front Studie bumper.  Find one or modify a bumper that fits the sheet metal better than Studebaker did from the factory
Tony

58 Yeoman

Trans case looks good, Tony. I think his original bumper would look better if he raised it up a bit.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

chimp koose

spent some time machining a harley rim today for a friends chopper build . I also fit up 2 diagonal braces on the roadster chassis .

enjenjo

He is going to want one of the wider 8.8s, the stock rear end in a Champ is  about 62" wide. Mustang should work.  I put a full size Chevy rear in mine, and still had room for L 60 15 tires on 8" wheels.

Of course with a ranger bed, an Explorer rear should be about the right width.

I also used a Studebaker Lark front bumper on mine, it fit perfectly.

Mine had a variety of engines in it, studebaker flat head six, 200 Ford six, 327 Chevy, 427 Chevy, and a 430 Buick.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"He is going to want one of the wider 8.8s, the stock rear end in a Champ is  about 62" wide. Mustang should work.  I put a full size Chevy rear in mine, and still had room for L 60 15 tires on 8" wheels.

Of course with a ranger bed, an Explorer rear should be about the right width.

I also used a Studebaker Lark front bumper on mine, it fit perfectly.

Mine had a variety of engines in it, studebaker flat head six, 200 Ford six, 327 Chevy, 427 Chevy, and a 430 Buick.

He is looking for a Lark bumper...  Already bought a Ranger bed.    He found a fellow in Marana AZ that has Studie parts.  Bought some truck doors and related parts.  this Champ truck has piles of bondo in it from what I saw when we loaded it.

He wants better brakes on the front axle...  would like power steering too.

he does not let grass grow under his feet on projects... He has a modified heart (by-pass (5) , with a new valve )  & does not let it slow him down.... much

8)
Tony

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"

He is looking for a Lark bumper...  Already bought a Ranger bed.    He found a fellow in Marana AZ that has Studie parts.  Bought some truck doors and related parts.  this Champ truck has piles of bondo in it from what I saw when we loaded it.

he does not let grass grow under his feet on projects... He has a modified heart (by-pass (5) , with a new valve )  & does not let it slow him down.... much

8)

Before I changed out the straight axle for a Volare front suspension I converted mine to disc brakes using 69 Ford rotors and calipers. I think I may have the caliper brackets around here yet. If I were to do one today I would do it differently. I would use the stock hub and machine it to use a common rotor of the desired size, and redrill the bolt pattern in the hub to the rear axle bolt pattern. Crown Vic might be a place to look. Then adapt the Crown Vic caliper and bracket to the spindle. The Crown Vic caliper slides in the bracket, and the bracket bolts solid to the spindle. Mustang would work too, they use a similar setup, but a bit smaller diameter. If GM calipers are wanted, I have Laser cut blank plates for GM calipers I would sell for $50 a pair shipped

All Lark sheet metal  for a four door sedan interchanges with the truck parts except the cab back, that is a unique part. The grill panel fits, but must be notched for the truck frame unless you bob the frame rails. Last I knew NOS painted grilles were still available for that truck.

The running gear under that T model truck was the same as the 49 to 59 R models. All they did was make new front axles 9" narrower for the T model cab.

This is speculation, for power steering the Speedway motors 500 series box for 57 Chevys is close, or may be a bolt in.

chimp koose

wayne petty

2 friends and i went to the king of the wing at irwindale sat nihgt..

somebody else posted the heat races..

14 second lap times on the 1/2 mile asphalt.

you can see the back of my head in some of the frames.. black hat black shirt far left middle of the front row of seating.

hopefully the 40 lap main will be posted soon..

enjenjo

My younger brother was crew chief for Mike Beale for many years in the dirt sprints. His dad was Rollie Beale, 1973 USAC sprint car champ, and later Chief steward for USAC sprints.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Crosley"

8)

This is speculation, for power steering the Speedway motors 500 series box for 57 Chevys is close, or may be a bolt in.

My buddy has been told by Studebaker people... a Steering box for mid 70's Ford trucks is a good fit.  He is gonna check on that.

I gave him a thm350 empty transmittin case monday  for setup use in the Champ truck.

:!:

Since many Explorer rear ends have 3.70 or 4.10 gear ratio, he is still exploring rear end options.  He does not want an over drive transmittin in this truck.  He already has the truck built in his mind.

:shock:
Tony