What are you doing today? 2018

Started by enjenjo, December 31, 2017, 03:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "416Ford"
Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"My pick would still be the '66/67 body style

HHHMMMMMMMM.....Between  KB ,IDY & now Dave, I better sweep the floor again to keep from falling too far behind. :roll:  :roll:  :lol:

Bob.... :wink:

You must be talking about the Fairlane, this is the first year for the Torino.  
I saw Kenny's project a few weeks ago. I am not saying that he is working on it, but at least his is on a frame. You have a lot of catching up to do.     :)

Dave ..In 1968, the "Torino" was a trim level on the "Fairlane" body style ..The base car was a "Fairlane"..The trim levels went up from there ....
They all shared the same basic sheet metal depending on roof design..( "Formal Roof" or "Fastback" )...

Here's some pictures of "Fairlanes"

www.cars-on-line.com/72556.html

https://classiccars.com/listings/find/1968/ford/fairlane

This explains the model breakouts fairly accurately...
www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2006/10/1968--69-Ford-Torino-GT/1350546.html

I was a certified "Ford Nut" when these cars came out.... :roll:

I was street racing a series of "Beater" Galaxies with various FE power & "fragile" drivelines, ending up with a '65 Falcon that finally ran 11:50's  with street tires & mufflers... 8)
It also ate engines,transmissions & rear ends like you would not believe..... :(

Again, I was loyal to the blue oval but could not keep a driveline in anything ...
I couldn't afford to get into any of the Ford "muscle cars" because of cost, so I had to build them....

We were still driving the Falcon after getting married ..After we found out that we had a munchkin on the way, my father INSISTED that I get into some kind of a "family" car...At least something with a back seat..... :roll:  :lol:

We looked everywhere for some kind of a big block Ford intermediate but found nothing except the same weak driveline cars ....

We came home a week later with a 69 1/2 440-6 pack Roadrunner ...Hemi four speed & a Dana 60 rear axle ..... :roll:  :shock:
But that's a whole nother story ...

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, it's nice to know that most of us shared the same "disease". :) My future fatherinlaw was not happy that I owned a dragster. My future wife told him that I sold the dragster, the 38 chevy street rod and a Triumph motorcycle. His reply was"GOOD!" Then she told him we were leaving for California on saturday to pick up the new to me top fuel car. That was the end of the happy face. :)
TEAM SMART

BFS57

Hello;
Never been in this situation!!! The end of last year my wife came into some money, wanted a new car. So she settled on a 2018 Jaguar F-Pace! She just loves that car!! (like I like my old cars) Until the 24th of last month, she was involved in an accident which slammed her into the rear end of a public bus! Well, needles to say the Jag took it hard!! Man I cant believe that much damage happened.
Well yesterday I was contacted by the insurance adjuster and our Jag is being TOTALED!!!! it would cost almost 40K to repair everything!! Wouldn't be so bad but Jaguar has made this SUV sitting on an Aluminum Frame!! Unfortunately, the frame is bent!
(why didn't they make it out of rubber?)
My wife is upset, she wants me (?) to have the car fixed JHC!!! I told her this is like a guy driving a Model T trying to fix a "space Ship!" The best I could do is "negotiate" with the insurance co to make sure we get enough $$$ to replace it. The car had less than 3000 miles on it!!! With the new 6 cylinder Supercharged engine! (340 Horses!!)
I hope I can convince the insurance co that the $$ need to be right! (at least as far as we are concerned!!!

Bruce

Crosley.In.AZ

yeah , it is interesting on how the 'inlaws' can react to the 'outsider' coming into the family with daddy's little girl.  I had the same type of resistance from my wife's dad.  She was 15 & I was 17 yrs olde when we started dating.

here we are 47 yrs later.  Our marriage is the only one that stayed in one piece of the 4 children in my wife's family.

Bruce: the Jag crash is a numbers game. The insurance will go by the numbers of value , damage - repair costs.  Good luck on this
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Luckily I had no problem with my daughters boyfriends. The one my younger daughter married drove a mid 90's Firebird with duals on it, sounded good. His Dad owned a garage in town that he had worked at since high school and later bought it. Was nice to have a shop to go to and use the hoist. 😄 That young man became a lawyer and a partner in a law firm at 32, he wants a Tesla now....!

Crosley.In.AZ

Spent 1.5 hrs this morning finish the removal of a wall paper decorative  border up where the ceiling & wall meet in the kitchen.. about 5 foot remained... She removed the other areas, could not reach this location for some reason....

10+ yrs ago , I came home and the wife had installed this border.  I dislike them. I kept my mouth shut.  Oh... there is a border in the main bathroom too

My wife did a great job installing this  kitchen border, stuck very well.  It was a PITA to remove. The last bit was in the corner, above the cabinets.  Ceiling is 9' 4 inches high.  I had a short step ladder on the counter top with little room for a mistake or slip up.  Another reason women live longer than us men.  :lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

I finally got time to finish a painting. This has been in the works for a month. I named this one "Sneaking a peek" j

UGLY OLDS

NEAT ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I LIKE IT  :!:  :!:  );b(  :b-d:

Bob.. :wink:

papastoyss

Quote from: "Crosley"yeah , it is interesting on how the 'inlaws' can react to the 'outsider' coming into the family with daddy's little girl.  I had the same type of resistance from my wife's dad.  She was 15 & I was 17 yrs olde when we started dating.

here we are 47 yrs later.  Our marriage is the only one that stayed in one piece of the 4 children in my wife's family.

Bruce: the Jag crash is a numbers game. The insurance will go by the numbers of value , damage - repair costs.  Good luck on this
They will also figure in what $ the car will bring as salvage. We used to buy & rebuild totals, you would be amazed at what wrecked cars bring at salvage auctions.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

kb426

phat46, nice painting. Describe your mindset when coming up with a concept for a painting please.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

I spent time on the drag chassis on saturday . Getting close to putting my parts together .

kb426

Trivia: I'm comparing the pedal hangers on the 72 F100 and the 07 crown vic. The F100 ratio is 6-1. The crown vic is around 3.25-1. The F100 was amanual brakes and the C.V. has that large booster. The C.V. master is .125" larger bore.
TEAM SMART

phat46

Quote from: "kb426"phat46, nice painting. Describe your mindset when coming up with a concept for a painting please.
Thanks, I like looking at pictures of old cars, hot rods and race cars mostly, online. I will see one that I like, the car, the setting, or some detail in the picture and it will give me a story. I imagine what is going on, or could be going on, in the picture. This painting came from a picture of a similar car, but it was not moving, the driver had turned to smile at the photographer and that made me think of a driver sneaking a peek over his shoulder at the competition. I used the picture for reference, changing things to put the car at speed, and putting a helmeted driver in it looking back. There is a story behind all my paintings that I have made up, that makes it more than just a technical exercise for me.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"Trivia: I'm comparing the pedal hangers on the 72 F100 and the 07 crown vic. The F100 ratio is 6-1. The crown vic is around 3.25-1. The F100 was amanual brakes and the C.V. has that large booster. The C.V. master is .125" larger bore.

The C-V also has QTU brake calipers, hench the need for the big master cyl...... :idea:

Bob... :wink:

WZ JUNK

I ran my old truck at the dragstrip today.   This is the 19th year I have raced the truck.  I drive it to the track and drive it home.  I am not fast but I am consistent.  I helped Hooley run the Henry J.  (I fill the fuel tank each round and listen to him when he figures out the dial in)  This is the 12th year for the Henry J.

A good day to have a hot rod.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH