What are you doing today? 2018

Started by enjenjo, December 31, 2017, 03:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
Times are changing.

John

boy howdy... times are changing.  

I  too  have given away or thrown away many magazines in recent yrs. The only mags that people bought were old club magazines from clubs I belonged to many years ago.  I still have my Crosley club magazines and the Micro Car club magazines.

I dropped out of the Crosley Club... the Micro Car Club kinda folded up when the main club guy developed serious home - family problems. he had no time for the club operations
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

A few years ago the car show at Hugoton Ks. folded. I believe the last year was 25. The man that did most of the work tried for 2 years to get someone else in the club or another group to take it over. There's a lot of shows in my area that are in there 30's. It would only take 1 little pitfall and they could be gone. I had this discussion with Titus before Salina. He said his daughter might try to continue it. Just a statement of our times. I'm so thankful to have lived when I have. :)
TEAM SMART

phat46

I too had many boxes of older car magazines that I intended to use for reference or ideas. It got to the point that they took up valuable garage space so I put a "free" ad on CL. I got an immediate response and an older gent and his wife came to get them. They were in an old rusty mini van and he was not in good shape. He said he was an old hot rodder but couldn't do it anymore and was nearly house bound. His wife was thankful to the point of tears that he could sit and go through those magazines. He looked over my cars in the shop and seemed to perk up and told some stories. It made me happy that such a simple thing could make someone's day. Then about six months later I found another full box, wish I could get them to the old guy.

Arnold

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Attended a local show of about 500 cars yesterday.  I got rid of a 20+ year collection of Street Rodder magazine by giving them away.  I thought I would go back to them and reread articles, but I never did.

Today is a smaller event at a really nice place overlooking a lake.  

Next week is the rescheduled fall nostalgia drag race and that should end the season for me.

John

My collection of car magazines,manuals goes back to about 1968. Many years ago I made crates..and shelves to give them a nice home :D The ONLY ones I ever got rid of were manuals..that I had not owned those vehicles. The ONLY thought regarding their leaving me..is whoever deals with my estate :twisted:

chimp koose

As my school goes to computer file storage we have an abundance of file cabinets that go to scrap . I have four 4 drawer ones full of magazines in my basement . At one time they were separated by title , now I would have to go in and clean that up . If you are wondering what to do with your magazines why not try to give them to an old folks home . They have libraries full of books that women want to read , men , not so much . Also there has become a proliferation of ol skool barber shops as opposed to hair salons as of the last few years . I would imagine they would entertain taking your magazines as waiting room reading material .

chimp koose

Today my roadster chassis is sitting in 2 pieces . I have a call in to my NHRA tech director to get the last word on how he wants the sleeve for the frame rails done .

enjenjo

I am installing a new ring and pinion into a C4 Vette rear end. The installation kit I bought is from Richmond gear. I was installing the ring gear on the carrier tonight, and used the new ring gear bolts that came with the kit. When the first bolt I torqued stripped, I gave it the benefit of the doubt, and unholstered a different torque wrench. I stripped the next bolt with that one. :evil:  So I got out the old reliable beam torque wrench, and stripped the third one before I got to 60 ftlb. :evil:  So I dug out the old bolts, cleaned them up, and wonder of wonder they torqued fine at 80 ftlb. :D
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Frank, I expect all of us to have that story in the future. Do they appear to be soft or slightly undersized so thread engagement is a problem?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Frank, I expect all of us to have that story in the future. Do they appear to be soft or slightly undersized so thread engagement is a problem?

Soft, the threads just gently peeled off. The rest of the kit was top quality, Timken bearing, National seals.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "kb426"Frank, I expect all of us to have that story in the future. Do they appear to be soft or slightly undersized so thread engagement is a problem?

Soft, the threads just gently peeled off. The rest of the kit was top quality, Timken bearing, National seals.

I wonder if this is a vendor supplier problem, it may a random incident on soft bolts.  

At my work place : We transmittin builders have mentioned a fitment problem with bushings and thrust washers for a few years. It graudually got worse to the point a few bushings I could push by hand through the bore where they should be a press fit. So management looked into it finally.  We have a new vendor coming online with us
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

I purchased another 9 inch Lincoln Versailles rear end for a spare.  This one is an uncut original and it was relatively cheap $200.  It measures 58 1/8 " flange to flange.  I may switch the one I have in the car with this one but if I do not, I will have a spare narrow rear assembly to use on something.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

416Ford

Well the shop is clear for a little bit so I am tackling the tail panel on Vickies Torino. Off with the old and ... on with a different old. The other car was only good on this side so the other side will be need to be bent up and fabricated.
Let the welding begin.

//

You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

enjenjo

I've never understood why that model Torino was not more popular. They were attractive and popular when new.

UGLY OLDS

I always thought that that model,(especially the fastback), felt "bigger" than it really was, compared to the '66/67 that it replaced ...
I remember that at lot of people did NOT like the almost horizontal rear window & longer front end ...
My pick would still be the '66/67 body style ....Why didn't Ford put the SCJ 428 in THAT body style   :?:
They would have sold a million of them ..... :idea:  :roll:

HHHMMMMMMMM.....Between  KB ,IDY & now Dave, I better sweep the floor again to keep from falling too far behind. :roll:  :roll:  :lol:

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

416Ford

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"My pick would still be the '66/67 body style

HHHMMMMMMMM.....Between  KB ,IDY & now Dave, I better sweep the floor again to keep from falling too far behind. :roll:  :roll:  :lol:

Bob.... :wink:

You must be talking about the Fairlane, this is the first year for the Torino.  
I saw Kenny's project a few weeks ago. I am not saying that he is working on it, but at least his is on a frame. You have a lot of catching up to do.     :)
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.