What are you doing today? 2018

Started by enjenjo, December 31, 2017, 03:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

After weeks and weeks, months actually we brought the 1896 cast iron bathtub into my daughters Victorian house. It took  four of us to carry this thing. This project went from a simple paint job, ceiling repair and making a small wall even smaller to a complete gut job, new floors, with mosaic tile, new drywall, subway wall tile, new trim, new electric , new plumbing, vent fan through the wall etc, etc. when she was able to acquire this tub for a VERY good price. Glad it's in, now just have to tile the rest of the room and reinstall the fixtures. The picture is only the tub alcove, the rest of the bathroom is about double that size.

chimp koose

I had a tub similar to that in my first house (built in 1905). The hot water will stay hot longer than in newer stamped steel tubs . Its like the cast iron gets warm and just holds the heat longer , must be why they call them soaker tubs , you can just lay there and soak in warm water for a long time . Nice job on the bathroom !

phat46

Quote from: "chimp koose"I had a tub similar to that in my first house (built in 1905). The hot water will stay hot longer than in newer stamped steel tubs . Its like the cast iron gets warm and just holds the heat longer , must be why they call them soaker tubs , you can just lay there and soak in warm water for a long time . Nice job on the bathroom !

Thanks. Today we went to get stops for it, my daughter bought the nice chrome fill pipes that go from 8" at the floor to 3 1/4" apart at the taps. We needed 1/2" compression fitting stops......they are not made anymore....the master plumber at our HD is a friend of mine and he said they clearanced them all about three years ago, they were obsolete, only 3/8" fill pipe now......he called the local commercial plumbing supply place for us and even they don't carry them. They have nice ones online at the same place she got the nice fill pipes from....for about $26 each. I'm going to try the local old hardware store to see if they have any left over.

kb426

Phat46, Brasscraft lists both in line and 90 degree with 1/2 compression on both ends. There are available from Home Depot  if you don't have a local source.
TEAM SMART

phat46

Quote from: "kb426"Phat46, Brasscraft lists both in line and 90 degree with 1/2 compression on both ends. There are available from Home Depot  if you don't have a local source.

That's where we were today, my friend is the master plumber at HD, he also runs his own company. As soon as he saw the pipe my daughter was carrying he shook his head and said " claw foot tub? We clearanced all that stuff three years ago."  Our Lowes had some old stuff, but it was all angle stops, we need straight.  All the stuff we saw marked 1/2" compression was too big, this is apparently specific to this type of pipe. 3/8" is too small, 1/2" too big, but they call it 1/2", although it will go inside 1/2" copper pipe, I assume it is 1/2" O.D.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Currently in the shop is my last wiring job.  I had promised that I would do this for a friend many years ago.  The car is now ready for wiring.  It features a engine that is more one of a kind parts than factory and it is a marine engine block.  It is injected, turbo charged and intercooled.  It uses 460 Ford rods and pistons and a 460 head but everything is either one of a kind made or highly modified.   I am amazed at the fabrication but I have been amazed by the work of the owner for over 40 years now.

John

Wow!  :!:   :shock:  8)
Matt

phat46

Quote from: "kb426"This is the item link online:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-1-2-in-Nominal-Compression-Inlet-x-1-2-in-O-D-Compression-Outlet-Multi-Turn-Straight-Valve-OCR34X-C1/202047034

Yup, had one of those in my hand from a different source. If you notice one 1/2" end is larger than the other, one is 1/2" nominal, which Is 1/2" I.D. ( 5/8" O.D.) The other end is what we need 1/2" o.d. We may have found a way around it, it seems Menards has some stuff. Part of the problem s that the stop sits on top of a bell that covers the hole in the floor. We need a small enough Diameter line to fit through the bell...1/2" copper is too big. What would be perfect is a stop with the 1/2" O.D compression on the top and female 3/8 thread on the bottom, we could screw a male end flex line on the bottom and be on our way..

chimp koose

Phat 46 , I thought in the 1800s they boiled well water to fill the tub . Just need to convince your daughter that its the 'period correct' way to do it  :lol: We actually did it that way into the 1970s at my uncles farm . Then they got a dugout and water pump for running water. Baths were done in a feeder trough dragged into the kitchen or out on the porch in summer . 8)

kb426

Sorry, Phat 46, I didn't read far enough. Is there enough space to sweat 2 copper fittings together to make an adapter to go in the floor?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

QuoteWhat would be perfect is a stop with the 1/2" O.D compression on the top and female 3/8 thread on the bottom,

Eaton Weatherhead part number 66x6 brass    

Anderson metals  part number 7000666-0806 nickel plated brass

Brass Craft OCR34  Straight Stop

Put the stop valve on top of the adapter.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Got it solved, thanks to Menards, found a straight stop, 1/2" o.d. compression, that will take a 3/8 brass or galvanized nipple on the inlet, thread a flex line onto the other end of the nipple and run that to a 1/2" male threaded to 1/2" copper Shark Bite, voila, done....

phat46

Quote from: "chimp koose"Phat 46 , I thought in the 1800s they boiled well water to fill the tub . Just need to convince your daughter that its the 'period correct' way to do it  :lol: We actually did it that way into the 1970s at my uncles farm . Then they got a dugout and water pump for running water. Baths were done in a feeder trough dragged into the kitchen or out on the porch in summer . 8)

My grand parents, in Grand Rapids Mi. Never had a water heater, cooked water on the stove and dumped it in the tub. They also had a hand pump on the kitchen sink that pumped from a cistern. My Dad alway told us not to use the pump as his whole family got typhoid from it when they were kids! Luckily they also had City water by the time I came along.

chimp koose

Ah yes the old red hand pump . The farm house ended up with running water but never a flush toilet . Had a 'honey pail' in the room off the porch and an outhouse 10 steps from the porch . Home was occupied that way until the 1980 move to town.

kb426

I'm block sanding in the drive. It's 96 degrees. Tomorrows high might be 55. :) Last warm day so I'm doing my best to take advantage of it. I had to stop to wipe the sweat off. :)
TEAM SMART