What are you doing today? 2018

Started by enjenjo, December 31, 2017, 03:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

Quote from: "Crosley"

In the cooler months here (under 100*F) november thru may... there is a bunch of RV sale events. Phoenix area, Tucson , Snottsdale ,  Yuma AZ.. Snow birds arrive here.  Trade in RV stuff.  Sell out right. Some snow birds die here, the family sell the RV on CONsignment.

We have a stadium out on west side of the valley.  Looks like a Jiffy Pop popcorn bag. It has been joked about the place being a RV store rather than real football stadium. I dont follow football.    There are many RV sales events there in the cooler months.

We have been searching for RV stuff.  Settled on a 5th wheel trailer design..  No purchase yet. I have a couple yrs till I retire (if I ever retire)

I was 180 out on the timing. I thought the snowbirds would want to live in their RV's there during the winter so sales would be down. I will have to Google those sales. I might have to make a trip there this winter. Of course I may stay a month or so if I buy one.

Are these true auctions or consignment sales?

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"The right rear wheel bearing in the 54 Chevy is making a lot of noise and vibration.  This will be the 3rd bearing on this axle that I have replaced in about 13,000 miles. I installed a new one when I built the car and then this is the 2nd time I replaced a bad bearing on this axle.  This one made it about 6,000 miles.  It was the side I replaced while at the NSRA North last year at Kalamazoo.  During the winter I plan to remove the housing and use Hooley's rear axle jig to check the housing for straightness.

I replaced the left axle bearing last month.  That was number 2 for that side.

John

Update

This afternoon I placed the rear axle on jackstands on a level concrete area.  I used a 2' level to check the wheels top to bottom and they were both out at the top or in at the bottom about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch.  Later when I lowered the car down on to the concrete I checked again and they were out again the other direction about the same amount.  I would think this would be within tolerance considering the distance out from center where I was measuring.

Next I set a modified toe in gauge to check the front to rear measurements. They are nearly dead on.  I even rotated the wheels and took more measurements and the distances were the same each time front to back at about the center line of the rear axle.

I know these are crude measurements but both front to back and top to bottom measurements seem to indicate the rear axle is nearly straight.  I know that when I change out the bearings, it is not hard to line up and incert the new bearing and axle.  So I am thinking the axle is straight enough.

Tomorrow I am going to a bearing supply business and see if I can buy a more precisionly made bearing.  I want to rule out the bearings being the problem.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

John, is the same person pressing the bearing on? Is there something about how this is being done that is stressing the bearing to cause early failure?????
TEAM SMART

416Ford

Tried to install the caliper on our Torino the other night and realized the piston will not retract past the point of where it seized up. I can get it to go out and retract with the C clamp but it sticks out almost a 1/4" from being flush. Looks like I get tho send another part back to Rock Auto. Not worth the savings I have to keep sending parts back. First the Booster now this.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"John, is the same person pressing the bearing on? Is there something about how this is being done that is stressing the bearing to cause early failure?????

I plan to have this one pressed on at another facility, but the way the bearing and axle go together, I do not think that this is a problem.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Charlie Chops 1940

What we need is a whole new marketing paradigm...maybe the consumer orders the part, the supplier ships it to the consumer who inspects it or tries it out. If it's still working in 30 days the consumer sends payment. If the supplier wants it back he issues a pickup tag.

Sure, the supplier says how can I trust you? Well obviously we can't trust the supplier to do a good job so lets swap ends and see if the supplier learns anything from the exercise.

How many bad alternators or starters need to be taken back to NAPA before someone at headquarters recognizes a problem?
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

UGLY OLDS

QuoteHow many bad alternators or starters need to be taken back to NAPA before someone at headquarters recognizes a problem?

The system is working as designed ....It gets you back in the store ,correct  :?:  :idea:   With some retailers, that is the MOST important part of the sale ..... :roll:  :roll:  

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
QuoteHow many bad alternators or starters need to be taken back to NAPA before someone at headquarters recognizes a problem?

The system is working as designed ....It gets you back in the store ,correct  :?:  :idea:   With some retailers, that is the MOST important part of the sale ..... :roll:  :roll:  

Yeah, it does that but I doubt that is their marketing plan...although maybe some people keep buying the same broken chit from the same guys expecting a better outcome....sounds like the classic definition of insanity, doesn't it?
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"

Yeah, it does that but I doubt that is their marketing plan...although maybe some people keep buying the same broken chit from the same guys expecting a better outcome....sounds like the classic definition of insanity, doesn't it?

Actually.....The plan is to get you back in the store so you can be sold "other things" that might resolve the problem .... :?
 How do you think the "We check check engine lights for free" program works ...
 How many O2 sensors or EGR valves are sold due to a code found in the "computer"....

Ever notice that a certain parts stores can't clear codes unless parts are purchased    :?:  :shock:  :shock:  :?  :roll:

NEAT marketing program...   :!:  :roll:  :roll:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

My original plan was to run to Goodland Ks. for the last car show of the season. It was 39 degrees and rainy this morning. I was going to make a quick trip and return to work. It didn't start to warm up until after lunch so it would have been way cool.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

The wife and I went out to dinner this evening and later for ice cream.  I let her drive her car.  You know the one I built and maintain but she is the owner.  It was a great fall evening for a ride on a two lane curvy road.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Crosley.In.AZ

Back in the 1980's... a friend worked at Auto Zone here.  The Zone was kinda new in town.  After several "rebuilt" starters that did not work at all..  Gary pulled one apart in the back room.  None of the internal wires were connected.

Details , details..  :D
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

Back in the 1980's... a friend worked at Auto Zone here.  The Zone was kinda new in town.  After several "rebuilt" starters that did not work at all..  Gary pulled one apart in the back room.  None of the internal wires were connected.

Tony, the starters were supposed to be for the trailer queen cars that never get driven. The customer is supposed to specify if the car is actually going to be driven on the street, or pushed onto a trailer. :roll:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"

Tony, the starters were supposed to be for the trailer queen cars that never get driven. The customer is supposed to specify if the car is actually going to be driven on the street, or pushed onto a trailer. :roll:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Matt

WZ JUNK

Currently in the shop is my last wiring job.  I had promised that I would do this for a friend many years ago.  The car is now ready for wiring.  It features a engine that is more one of a kind parts than factory and it is a marine engine block.  It is injected, turbo charged and intercooled.  It uses 460 Ford rods and pistons and a 460 head but everything is either one of a kind made or highly modified.   I am amazed at the fabrication but I have been amazed by the work of the owner for over 40 years now.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck