What are you doing today? 2018

Started by enjenjo, December 31, 2017, 03:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

416Ford

Sounds logical Bob. How did you come up with it?    :)
We give it a try tonight if the mosquito will let us in the pole barn.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

kb426

I agree with the piston retraction. I usually check with air before fluid but if the piston doesn't work on low pressure, it won't work on high pressure.
TEAM SMART

Beck

It's been a while since I've posted here. I thought I would drop a note.

I rode shotgun with a buddy to buy an '80 Monza Spider today. It was a pretty rough car, but the price reflected it.
I must have lost touch with what things sell for... I would not have paid what he did, yet he has plans to flip it to make a buck. That's not my thing either.

I have been shopping for a motor home. Lots of big coaches out there but the 24' size is hard to find locally. There seem to be more Ford than Chevy chassis out there. Naturally I would prefer the Chevy, since it is harder to locate. The same guy I went with today has one with the 8100 motor. He is impressed with it towing his drag car/open trailer.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Beck"=
I have been shopping for a motor home. Lots of big coaches out there but the 24' size is hard to find locally. There seem to be more Ford than Chevy chassis out there. Naturally I would prefer the Chevy, since it is harder to locate. The same guy I went with today has one with the 8100 motor. He is impressed with it towing his drag car/open trailer.

I understand that there are some bargains on RVs in places like south Texas and Florida.  I know that a long time ago my parents bought a motorhome in south Texas and they felt they saved a lot.  It seems that they end up there when the owners no longer want to return them back north after their last season in the south.

We really had a lot of fun and we made some great memories in that motorhome.  As a side note, I worked on it in every state that we visited.  From the top of the Rockies, to Padre Island, to the Everglades of Florida.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Beck

I think it is a good time to purchase a motor home in the mid-west now. The owners that have been considering selling don't want to pay storage over the winter to sell in the spring.

I would think spring would be the time to buy in TX and FL. The snowbirds don't want to drive them back north.

I hadn't considered to search in those areas. It may be worth the trip.

chimp koose

We got snow yesterday so it was time to put in the new heater  fan in my 92 chev 1/2 ton . I really appreciate who ever decided to make the fan about 1/2" smaller in diameter than the original . It went in far easier than the old one came out .

Beck

Quote from: "chimp koose"We got snow yesterday so it was time to put in the new heater  fan in my 92 chev 1/2 ton . I really appreciate who ever decided to make the fan about 1/2" smaller in diameter than the original . It went in far easier than the old one came out .
SNOW?!?!?!?  Crap it's way to early for that. I couldn't take living there.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Beck"I think it is a good time to purchase a motor home in the mid-west now. The owners that have been considering selling don't want to pay storage over the winter to sell in the spring.

I would think spring would be the time to buy in TX and FL. The snowbirds don't want to drive them back north.

I hadn't considered to search in those areas. It may be worth the trip.

In the cooler months here (under 100*F) november thru may... there is a bunch of RV sale events. Phoenix area, Tucson , Snottsdale ,  Yuma AZ.. Snow birds arrive here.  Trade in RV stuff.  Sell out right. Some snow birds die here, the family sell the RV on CONsignment.

We have a stadium out on west side of the valley.  Looks like a Jiffy Pop popcorn bag. It has been joked about the place being a RV store rather than real football stadium. I dont follow football.    There are many RV sales events there in the cooler months.

We have been searching for RV stuff.  Settled on a 5th wheel trailer design..  No purchase yet. I have a couple yrs till I retire (if I ever retire)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

ya weird weather the last couple of years . this snow is early and likely will not stay . I think I would prefer snow over floods that some of you get . At least we can pile up our snow and get on with things . Never had an earth quake , tornadoes are very rare . We get snow , lots  , and its usually here in some amount for about 5 months give or take . We also get longer sunshine days through the summer and short ones in winter .

Crosley.In.AZ

Saturday afternoon...  wife says she wants to go out for dinner.  Texas Roadhouse steak place.  Its good food for the money. Never been disappointed.

We get in her Civic....  the starter barely cliks. We had just been to Costco 3 hours earlier.  OK, we pile in the truck.  GO eat dinner.

Come home. I put the volt meter on the battery. 12.2 volts.  I pop the caps off the battery. The water inside lookes like the silver anti-sieze stuff with chunks floating around.  Off to Wally World for a  battery.

This is the 2nd OEM Honda battery in the car.  Original batt lasted near 3 yrs... I had a coupon for 100 dollars plus tax for the Honda Store "installed" OEM battery in 2016 .. that was 2 yrs and 1 week ago.

I hope the Wally World battery lasts longer.  I've had good luck with Wally batterys... so far.  :lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

Tony, the roadhouse is probably my favorite. The one on the west side of Wichita is the highest performing store in the chain. I've never had a bad meal in all the years of going there. The bad news is it's 4 hours away. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Went to Wichita yesterday to see Johnny Rivers "farewell" concert. He's 75 years old. Good show, good trip. :)
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

The right rear wheel bearing in the 54 Chevy is making a lot of noise and vibration.  This will be the 3rd bearing on this axle that I have replaced in about 13,000 miles. I installed a new one when I built the car and then this is the 2nd time I replaced a bad bearing on this axle.  This one made it about 6,000 miles.  It was the side I replaced while at the NSRA North last year at Kalamazoo.  During the winter I plan to remove the housing and use Hooley's rear axle jig to check the housing for straightness.

I replaced the left axle bearing last month.  That was number 2 for that side.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

UGLY OLDS

QuoteI plan to remove the housing and use Hooley's rear axle jig to check the housing for straightness.

John
[/quote]

Same problem with my Kidd's '37 Dodge .....3--9" Ford R/R axle bearings in 4800 miles .....Axle housing was .275 to the front & .350 up...Side gears were worn enough to allow the axle to go in without any issue .. :shock:   Had it straightened & Walaa.....No more bearing issues ..... :idea:

Will need to do my 8" housing before long ..... :idea:  :?

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Beck

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"The right rear wheel bearing in the 54 Chevy is making a lot of noise and vibration.  This will be the 3rd bearing on this axle that I have replaced in about 13,000 miles. I installed a new one when I built the car and then this is the 2nd time I replaced a bad bearing on this axle.  This one made it about 6,000 miles.  It was the side I replaced while at the NSRA North last year at Kalamazoo.  During the winter I plan to remove the housing and use Hooley's rear axle jig to check the housing for straightness.

John
I have 2 thoughts, #1 like you, something's bent, #2 Junk bearings.
A couple years ago I took my wife's daily (FWD) to the shop with a bad rear hub bearing. I told them to just change both sides. They convinced me not to because they said they were having problems with the new bearings failing.