What are you doing today? 2018

Started by enjenjo, December 31, 2017, 03:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Thanks, Tony. Problem dude is part time thankfully. Last time he pulled into the parking lot I made sure he saw me putting earplugs in. This helped. Instantly I was able to concentrate. The music stays so loud that with earplugs the volume is more like where I would want it, but the important thing was it nearly muted his constant voice. Next time he saw me without earplugs he asked me "If humans can't see air, can fish see water?". If theres no conversation available, he will google stuff about old people to ask. Says he does not come there to work but to pester old people. If I rattled off a string of quotes, you would be shocked. Extremely anti-America and extremely pro-Japan. Earplugs give me a headache. I really want to vote him out, none of us need or want him there. He stopped doing the work as well as he knows how. I usually just wait those guys out, but this one even got re-hired so theres just no help for it unless I quit.

Off that, and back to a previous discussion I have new questions about... my wrong wheel drive junk got hot enough to turn the temp light on once this week, at random.

Do you drill a robertshaw thermostat?

Does the need for tstat drilling depend on the engine and vehicle?

When drilling a thermostat, is it the poppet or the housing?

What determines hole size and quantity?

Heres the one that I can't figure... Why would GM add extra cost by putting a bleeder on the thermostat housing of a 3800 V6, along with a Warning special coolant fill procedure required, engine damage can result sticker...on millions of cars that only need a single 1/8" hole in the tstat to avoid all that? Anyone care to speculate?

By the way, my "good gas" rant from awhile back has had a recent development that makes me happy. By random chance I found a Sunoco station up by work that hates ethanol. Their 91 premium keeps the GTP almost sorta kinda running like it would on the 93 it was designed for, but at a lower price than the Shell premium with ethanol. Those two fuels are the only ones I have found that do not cause lean surge that is inherent in the stock tune and occurs when humidity is high. It just pulls the hill instead of surging or stumbling. As far as the 455 goes, I feed it rot gut 91 from near the house and am getting better at making sure Lucas stays in business, and it runs smoother on a shot of their treatment.
Matt

WZ JUNK

My brother and I drove the 54 to Central City, Colorado and attended the Hot Rod Hill Climb.  It was a great weekend in the mountains. The Reliability Run was worth the trip.  It was a great trip out and back and a great weekend.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

58 Yeoman

Went to the VA today to see the audiologist. One hearing aid died yesterday, but she had her techs fix it. She fitted me for new aids which will be here in about 2 weeks. I passed on the blue tooth, as it would only go into one ear. I also passed on the rechargeable aids; I'll stick with batteries. Get to keep the old ones as backup.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

416Ford

This Torino is going to get the better of me.
We were coming home from the local car show on Saturday and made it about one mile before the left front brake caliper locked up on Vickie.  I had to remove the wheel and pry the caliper loose so I could take out the outer pad.
I pulled the wheel back off last night and checked to see if the caliper was locked up and it came out with me pushing on the brake pedal a few times. I used a C clamp and pushed it back in.
Caliper is new with maybe 100 miles on it. What can be doing that? Right front wheel spins with no problem.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

enjenjo

I have never had the need to drill a Robertshaw.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"

I have never had the need to drill a Robertshaw.

Thanks. The 3800 fans say using the bleeder procedure is un-necessary with a 1/8" hole. Maybe they come with one.
Matt

sirstude

Here is what happens a couple of years after the sprinkler installer nicks the 100 amp underground service to the garage.  The small mark is where he hit it, and the other one is what happens to the wire after time.  All fixed now.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "416Ford"This Torino is going to get the better of me.
We were coming home from the local car show on Saturday and made it about one mile before the left front brake caliper locked up on Vickie.  I had to remove the wheel and pry the caliper loose so I could take out the outer pad.
I pulled the wheel back off last night and checked to see if the caliper was locked up and it came out with me pushing on the brake pedal a few times. I used a C clamp and pushed it back in.
Caliper is new with maybe 100 miles on it. What can be doing that? Right front wheel spins with no problem.

Could be a collapsed flex line, I've had that happen , some times you cannot see it but he old lines are collapsing inside.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

phat46

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"

Could be a collapsed flex line, I've had that happen , some times you cannot see it but he old lines are collapsing inside.

Same here, had a caliper dragging to the point of smoking, replaced the caliper and it still did it...then it dawned on me! I replaced the line and no more dragging.

416Ford

The master cylinder, booster, calipers, rotors, hoses (front and rear) and all the lines in front are new. The only old part is the steel line running to the back of the car.
Caliper is from Rock Auto.
A-1 CARDONE 184013 {#C80Z2B121A} Remanufactured; Includes: Hardware Info  One of our most popular parts
Front Left; with Metal Piston
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

Ohio Blue Tip

Now days, some NEW parts are bad when you get them?????
Good luck.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

purplepickup

We were coming home from the local car show on Saturday and made it about one mile before the left front brake caliper locked up on Vickie.
Could a pebble have gotten lodged in there somewhere?
George

416Ford

Quote from: "purplepickup"Could a pebble have gotten lodged in there somewhere?

Anything is possible. I did a roadside fix so I don't know.
I will put it all back together and see what happens in the garage. I will have not get Vickie to drive it with these parts thou.

416Ford

Bob mentioned something that reminded me. There was not a pebble in between shoe and the rotor.
When I took the wheel off the car, had both a tire iron and a screw drive trying to get the caliper open and the caliper was locked up pretty tight. I had room for it to go in but I had to pry the caliper up to get it off. I could not get it to close up until I used the C clamp on it.

UGLY OLDS

It sounds like the piston was cocked in the bore & would not return..That's why I was questioning exactly what type of caliper was being used & if ALL the correct hardware was there ...If you look close at the way the caliper mounts to the bracket, there is nothing for the caliper to physically "attach" too like there is on a GM caliper..No "through" bolts fo the caliper to slide on ...The Ford type caliper just sits in the bracket, with the bolts going into the rubber bushings....There is nothing to secure the outboard part of the caliper to the mounting bracket .....To prove this, retract the piston in the bore & give the caliper a "wiggle"...You will see that it moves all over the place ......That's what the big triangular stamped steel clip is for ...It "holds" the caliper in a fixed position on the bracket .....
Put it all back together, push the piston back into the bore & wiggle the caliper around ...You will see the movement ....

Have Vickie make repeated brake applications while you are watching the caliper ...You need to verify that the piston retracts ...Every time ...

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****