What are you doing today? 2018

Started by enjenjo, December 31, 2017, 03:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

Sprayed the front door screen and front porch with permethrin this morning. For some reason, hundreds of mosquitoes decided to occupy my front porch. Also sprayed around the foudation and eaves with Spectracide to combat all the spiders making webs. 91% humidity this am...will be a high of 86* today. Good day to stay in.

John, that sounds cool. We bought the seniors pass last year, but I know we'll never get to all of them. Just hope to hit a few.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

chimp koose

summer is over here, taking my fish in to the aquarium from the pond .

39deluxe

Started to clean up my front fender liners for the '69 C10 stepside. They are real solid considering that they are originals. Lots of surface rust on the passenger side under the battery but it will clean up. I spent all afternoon on the drivers side yesterday including doing some hammer and dolly work on both of them so they would fit right.

Tom

kb426

Off to see the hookers. Hooker Ok. 1 day car show. It has been a good day in the past.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Just discovered another round of hail dents on my 69 Pontiac. Thats three times now.
Matt

416Ford

Just spent the weekend with some great friends in KZoo.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

WZ JUNK

I ran 2 gallons of brake fluid through the old chevy today.  I pressure bled the system and it took two gallons to get every bubble out.  I am still not happy with the brakes but I have done all I can.

I have never worked so much, with so little success.

It has stock Mustang ll front brakes.  I plan to update to bigger rotors and calipers this winter but I want to drive it to Colorado next weekend and I need good brakes.   The pedal feels good and you can stop the car but not as quickly as I would like.  You can not lock up the brakes on asphalt, no matter how hard you push.  I know the chevy is heavier than a Mustang or Pinto but shouldn't I be able to lock up the brakes.

I need some advise.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

phat rat

Quote from: "416Ford"Just spent the weekend with some great friends in KZoo.

It was a great week-end with great people
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

chimp koose

WZ JUNK , I once had a set of crappy brake pads on a mini van that would not lock up . They would make a bunch of brake dust but no spectacular stopping . Changed out the pads and braking went back to normal . they were white box parts . wonder if someone bought 2 sets and put the cheap ones back in the name brand box for a refund

phat rat

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I ran 2 gallons of brake fluid through the old chevy today.  I pressure bled the system and it took two gallons to get every bubble out.  I am still not happy with the brakes but I have done all I can.

I have never worked so much, with so little success.

It has stock Mustang ll front brakes.  I plan to update to bigger rotors and calipers this winter but I want to drive it to Colorado next weekend and I need good brakes.   The pedal feels good and you can stop the car but not as quickly as I would like.  You can not lock up the brakes on asphalt, no matter how hard you push.  I know the chevy is heavier than a Mustang or Pinto but shouldn't I be able to lock up the brakes.

I need some advise.

John

John is this something new or has it been a persistent problem? Not stopping well reminds me of the problem I had with the cpe when I went to an aftermarket booster. After having 2 boosters act the same way I used a junkyard Astro Van booster and have been happy ever since, 75K mi later
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

58 Yeoman

After reading what Phat Rat said, I remember that that's the same problem I had with an '88 Chevy K1500 that I bought with 15,000 miles on it in '89. After doing all kinds of work to the brakes, I finally found out that Chevy had installed the wrong booster in it from the factory. It cost me $100 for a replacement, although it was their fault. I haven't owned a newer Chevy since.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

WZ JUNK

Another brake update.  After running all that brake fluid through the system on Sunday, I went for a test drive.  During the test drive and several test panic stops, I heard a loud pop noise in the front of the car.  After the run I notice a very slight leak at a fitting.  I could not stop the leak, so Monday I replaced the line, and then I bleed the rear brakes again, but it was a simple job this time.  This morning I drove the car again and I noticed the steering was not right and the steering wheel was not centered.  I opened the hood and the left upper A arm had slipped out of alignment. (That was the pop that I heard)  So in about an hour it goes to the alignment shop.  Mustang ll upper arms are a poor design.  After this alignment, I plan to witness mark the upper adjusters so that I can put it back in place should this happed out on the road somewhere.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

idrivejunk

A nice couple visited the shop yesterday to look at the 59 and 30 jobs. They are in the Pontiac club and the lady was pushing the sales pitch SO hard that I had to blurt some truth at her so she would stop shoveling business cards over me and telling me how many Fiero girls they have. She just kept saying event after event and expecting an "OK" to pass my lips. Finally I had no choice but to say in front of my boss that I work in a rod shop so theres no money. Not for maintainence, repair, gas, nothing. In parting she assured me if I just show up at something, we'd get that old Pontiac going for sure.

Remember guy with turbo? That snail degraded his personality to an intolerable point. By his own admission, he does not come to work to work, its to disrupt old people and get paid for it. Yesterday his mouth exceeded his own previous best efforts. "Old school muscle is TRASH!"

That just about tears it, folks. For me. I can solve nearly every problem in my life by just quitting and junking the car. Trouble is, besides my family thats the only two things I love. Selfishness is the only reason I must have clung to them both this long, but in the last decade everything I enjoy has been stricken down by infrastructure or made a crime. Now its time for me to comply or be destroyed also. I ain't got it in me to swallow any more garbage, there has to be a nearby warehouse I can sweep or something.
Matt

phat46

I finally got some free time to finish a painting. Been way too busy being retired lately, but Winter is coming.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "idrivejunk"

Remember guy with turbo? That snail degraded his personality to an intolerable point. By his own admission, he does not come to work to work, its to disrupt old people and get paid for it. Yesterday his mouth exceeded his own previous best efforts. "Old school muscle is TRASH!"

That just about tears it, folks. For me. I can solve nearly every problem in my life by just quitting and junking the car. Trouble is, besides my family thats the only two things I love. Selfishness is the only reason I must have clung to them both this long, but in the last decade everything I enjoy has been stricken down by infrastructure or made a crime. Now its time for me to comply or be destroyed also. I ain't got it in me to swallow any more garbage, there has to be a nearby warehouse I can sweep or something.

I dont let the nipple twirlers bother me much.  Or:  I find a way to point out how stupid they are in a less than obvious way.  I did this with a young twit girl we have in front office just yesterday.  She made a comment to a fellow transmission builder that "everybody is replaceable" When he mentioned he was really not happy with a new pending policy at work....  I looked at him & her and said:  Yeah, that has worked so well with the last 5 transmission builders that have been thru here... my buddy and I laughed our b***s off at her.

Dealing with the daily crud can be a challenge..  few months back, I down loaded an app on my fone for a local radio station.  Older classic rock music.  I now use a streaming device to send the music to my hearing aids.  So :  I listen to music while I work.  People think I am not listening to them (true) and they leave me the H alone.  A Win Win in my book.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)