What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Arnold"Sorting through parts. SPENDING my life doing that lately. PLENTY :D of good memories. Deciding what to keep,what to sell(or try to) what to just take straight to the dump or scrap yard.

I do find it a LOT easier when I cannot even give some stuff away..to take similar stuff  right to the dump,scrap yard.

Google to me right now is a godsend :D when I come across so much stuff I have NO IDEA about. Also brings back plenty of memories.

i've been doing the same.  

Stuff I take to the swap meet  or put it on eBay, if there is little or no interest at any price point,   it is tossed. Some small items are tossed into the trash cans at the swap.

I've got 6 or 7 drive shafts remaining that I dont even know where they came from.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

Lake Afton is always a reminder of the amount of diversity in the wheeled hobby. :)
TEAM SMART

Old Blue

A car show that has things like a PT Cruiser is not a car show, it's a WalMart parking lot  :lol:

kb426

I was working on the wiring on my mill with the dc treadmill motor. Everytime I turn off the power switch, I have to reset the rheostat to zero and start over before it will start the motor. Is that the way all dc controllers are?
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

KB how is that treadmill motor working for you in the mill ? I have a night class student who is looking at ways of turning a shaper into a small vertical mill . I suggested trying the treadmill motor for power to the quill .

chimp koose

Last day for machining projects to be completed today . I had a student who made a whistling top . We used the hardened tip of an FE pushrod for the spin tip , press fit into the body . the body was made of 2 sections press fit together with a large open cavity inside . one hole was drilled into the cavity from outside . He is at home making a rope launcher for it tonight . I cant help myself when it comes to goofy projects , we stayed at it 3 hours after class today . This kid will be a good engineer one day .

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"I was working on the wiring on my mill with the dc treadmill motor. Everytime I turn off the power switch, I have to reset the rheostat to zero and start over before it will start the motor. Is that the way all dc controllers are?

Most of them yes. There are some tutorials on line for making a controller that will overcome that. I think it was on Home Machinist.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

Ordered a master cyl for the T . Thanks Wayne for the PM with a catalogue . This master comes from a 78-82 full size dodge like a volare . 7/8 bore , 3/8 fittings , aluminum w/plastic reservoir . I will convert to remote res. Caliper pistons on donor car are 2 3/4 , mine are gm metric @2 3/8 . Wheel cyl are 15/16 donor and 7/8 on mine . This master cyl will have enough capacity as it activated larger hardware in original application . 100 lbs on a 7:1 pedal should make 1164 lb line pressure . I'll take a longer pedal stroke over a hard pedal any day .I will have to remove the piston  and machine it for manual brake pushrod . I found a few good pictures with measurements on 90degree master cyl kits so I will make my own . I try to make things work in double shear rather than the single shear used in many of these kits . I will run the brake lines inside the car out to the back as I did with my Anglia . The proportioning valve will be put under the dash near the master . This car may stop and steer before too long !

kb426

Frank, thank you. C.K., I haven't used it enough to give an opinion. I'm going to research the wiring mod so you don't have to set the rheostat everytime it powers up. If I can't change that, I may buy a conventional motor.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

It's been a bit distracting around here lately. Not much getting done. As you may know, I did a couple sleep studies and found I have severe Sleep Apnea. So now I sleep with a CPAP machine, not a big deal except the darn thing starts leaking when I roll over and the noise wakes me up. Having the pressures set at 24/20 doesn't help. So I have been back and forth with the doctor and the equipment supplier trying to find a solution. I think we may have it now, I will know tonight.

Two weeks ago I noticed my right calf was swelling. I went in to the Dr to see if there was a problem, it was diagnosed as a blood clot. I had a Doppler test, and a CT scan and yes, there was a large blood clot. So, they took me off several of the medicines I have been taking, and added a couple new ones. One of the meds they took away from me was my arthritis pain medication. In about 4 days I was in a ton of pain. After some begging they let me have it again but now I have to have my blood monitored/tested once a week. So far, so good.

Yesterday I was fooling around out in the shop, and banged my right calf on the corner of a low table. In seconds the blood was running into my shoe. My wife got the blood stopped in a couple minutes, but there was pink fluid draining from the tissues, about like water. I waited about 2 hours, and it didn't stop, so I decided to go to the emergency room. The Dr there decided it was heart failure. She wanted to do an EKG, and I told her my EKG never came out normal, ever. So she decided that a blood test, the second one this week at the same hospital, and a chest Xray, the second in two weeks at that hospital, would do it. She also wanted a check for kidney failure in case it wasn't the heart.

While we were waiting she put a butterfly on the cut in my leg, and redressed it. When the test results came back, my heart was fine, my kidneys are fine, and the fluid was from the swelling. So I was released with a prescription for an antibiotic, and told to take it easy.

Not much has been done lately.  :D

kb426

Frank, if you have trouble with the cpap, let me know. My wife has been a user for years and used to manage a home health care facility. There's several styles of masks and finding the right one will take someone who understands. I'm glad to hear your ok. If having the crap scared out of you fixes anything, you should be fine for a long time. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

To top off all that stuff I have quit smoking, and I am not in the best mood.

UGLY OLDS

Hey Frank .... PLEASE be careful ....If anything happens to you , who's going to run the place  :?:  :shock:
Hope you get better soon .....Quitting the smoking thing was the most pleasant, relaxing, calming thing that I have ever done in my life .... :oops:  Just ask Cathy  :!:  :!:  :roll:  :shock:  :lol: ..( She survived....Some other things didn't .. :oops:   :(   )

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

58 Yeoman

Gee, Frank...your week makes mine sound like a walk in the park.

Today, I put new LED lights and wiring on the trailer, but nothing worked. It's a 5x8 landscape trailer, and it lost its' ground between the trailer and the tongue. Didn't see that coming. They all work now.

We got some high winds and the power went out. Lost two trees; a nice maple, and a crappy locust that hit the roof of my tool shed, poking three holes in the roof. My wife and I got most of the mess cleaned up, but the tree is still on the shed. That's for another day. Oh...and the a/c quit. Got someone coming to look at it tomorrow.

Hang in there Frank. My wife had to give up smoking in '08 and used the patch. It helped quite a bit.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

chimp koose

When I quit smoking I had real trouble with the patch ..... couldn't get it to stay lit .