What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Its the 2nd anniversary of when Mr. Hand met Ms. Airbag. Broke my wrist two years ago. When I passed the spot today I said "@#$% you, spot in the road!"

All I did was slide fancy paper today but speaking of having lots to do... have your nausea bags at the ready... the archeologist in the next stall discovered precious metals in the form of molten filler and pop rivets. Seriously, this is actually probably really not too bad.   :lol:  Thought you guys might enjoy a peek. 60 Biscayne  8)  Very lowered. Collectors would rip a pack of Luckys open for ya and it requires two jacks to get the lift under it.

Matt

kb426

That wasn't too bad. Is the inside worse? There's a 59 elcamino out in the country that I would like to buy. It would be a huge project but it bothers me that it just sits. There's no drive train but the rest is there. Has some rust but doesn't look  horrible. Might be a big surprise. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Built new driver side engine mount... to allow the steering shaft to pass thru the area
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

That has to beat multiple u-joints. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"That has to beat multiple u-joints. :)

I have 2 U-joints in the steering column.  

Steering column tube is mounted to the cage, with U-joint at bottom of sahft.  Double D end on shaft.

Then; a slight angle to the box where the 1st U-joint is on the Vega steering box.

Seems to be good.  I may add a Heim support on the shaft at mid point to make sure the shaft does not wander out of line. That heim may be un-need
Tony

kb426

Tony, from what I see, 2 is common, and as long as the steering column can't move, shouldn't it be solid? I was referring to the ones that have heims in 2 places to hold it.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

I removed the mock up engine block & trans.  Parts are tack welded in place. Steering box mount tacked.

QuoteTony, from what I see, 2 is common, and as long as the steering column can't move, shouldn't it be solid? I was referring to the ones that have heims in 2 places to hold it.

The steering shaft does seem sturdy enough...  In photo I have the heim slid onto the shaft for a cypherin moment.
Tony

Bruce Dorsi

Certainly not meant as criticism, Tony, but a question:

The shaft appears to extend quite a bit below the steering column.

Would the Heim joint be better if it supported the end of the shaft just above the upper u-joint to prevent any "whip" in the shaft as the two u-joints did their magic?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"Certainly not meant as criticism, Tony, but a question:

Would the Heim joint be better if it supported the end of the shaft just above the upper u-joint to prevent any "whip" in the shaft as the two u-joints did their magic?

That old geezer can't turn it fast enough to "whip"it. Probably not a problem given the distance.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

chimp koose

I was wondering about possible "whip" as well but I have a tendency to over think/over build sometimes . Easy add on later if problems arise .

39deluxe

Well I finally got home from Arizona. I kept putting it off ever since the auctions were over. My son didn't throw me out so I stayed. I don't get to see them that often and that granddaughter is growing like a weed. I left about mid morning Thursday and drove to Amarillo. I wanted to get to OK City but we stayed up too late the night before. Friday I got up about 6am, ate and left about 7. I Got home to NW Ohio about 4 am with only a short nap about 50 miles north of Indy. So what I'm doing today is recovering. Every time I drive this trip I say it's the last time but I hate to fly. My wife don't go to the auctions with me so I travel alone. Maybe next time I'll split it into thirds so I have some time to stop and look at things. I saw a 1940 Ford COE down by Coolidge AZ that looked real straight. White and for sale.

Tom

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"Certainly not meant as criticism, Tony, but a question:

i was thinkin of whip or something with the U-joint going wonky as I turn...

The distance from the bottom bearing of the column to the middle U-joint is 8.5 inches.

the distance from the middle U-joint to the u-joint at the steering box is 13 inches  ...  that is why I have the support heim in the location I do.  Just cyphering.

I may leave it alone as the charlie chops says..
Tony

kb426

I went to the country after work. I bought a 58 Ford 4 door sedan several years ago. My plan was to remove the dash from it. I got busy with other projects and it's still sitting there. This was a Fairlane 4 door that the complete front end sheet metal and the rear axle had been removed. I managed to get a jack under it and start looking for snake dens. :) This car was a 332 and 3 speed. The short block, trans, and bell housing are still there. I think I'm going to bring it to town. After I clean it up some, I'll make a decision as to what to do. I didn't see any sign of snakes. :) The mice are gone for the winter also.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"I went to the country after work. I bought a 58 Ford 4 door sedan several years ago. My plan was to remove the dash from it. I got busy with other projects and it's still sitting there. This was a Fairlane 4 door that the complete front end sheet metal and the rear axle had been removed. I managed to get a jack under it and start looking for snake dens. :) This car was a 332 and 3 speed. The short block, trans, and bell housing are still there. I think I'm going to bring it to town. After I clean it up some, I'll make a decision as to what to do.
QuoteI didn't see any sign of snakes. :) The mice are gone for the winter also.

Ahhhh....The mice are prolly gone due to the snakes...... :?    Besides .....Don't snakes sleep lots & lots during this time
of the year  :?:  :?:  :idea:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

GPster

My favorite junkyard always had the fear of water moccasins because it was right on a bend in a river (Duck Creek) and it had a tributary running right through it. We usually brought cars that needed major underneath disassembly to the road for that or flipped them on their side for less intricate (?) work. The owner of the yard didn't worry so much about snakes as he did about poison ivy to which he was very alergic. He kept a couple of goats around that he had chained to old wheels that they were able to slide around but it kept them from getting away. They would eat anything green but poison ivy. If their was anything left growing around a car he knew to be aware. GPster