What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Carps"Just packing my bags, going to a hot rod show a long way from home.

Thought I'd drop in and say gudday, haven't done so for a long time, been a bit preoccupied with other stuff.

Prolly got some pictures around the place if you wanna see what's been goin on around here.

HEY   :!:  :!:    Another long time friend heard from .... :D   Good to hear from you Carps...I think the last time you visited, you were knocking down trees & tearing your house down  :?:  :?
Hope that all is well with you .... 8)

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chimp koose

I am buried in marking lately . Semester end is here so final exams and a flood of projects submitted for marking at the last moment . I just finished my night class this week and had my first wed night off since sept. I spent it doing marking .I have not looked at my model T for a couple weeks now . I am starting a new program at a new grade level next semester so a steep learning curve about to happen . I have never taught students at the grade 7 level so I am about to find out how handy they are with tools . The last guy to do this just wished me good luck !

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Glen"
so I have not been on here in probably 8 months.

two years ago I was talking with steve morris on another engine build, 4000HP plus twin turbo and I told him on Friday I would
call him Monday morning with a yes or no.  Over the weekend I told myself I needed to chill out and quit being irresponsible.

I joined a gym and lost 85 lbs. of fat and got down to 170 lbs.  feeling good and looking better I started travelling a lot
and enjoying some of the finer things in life.    I then started focusing more on weight lifting and really got addicted to it.
I don't know if you know this or not....but sometimes I go overboard on things  :roll:

six years ago my career took a huge leap in advancement and now this year my mentor retired so I took his position and another big leap forward.  A great opportunity and I'm the luckiest guy in the world.

so here I am at home and I jump on here to see whats been happening and I find this conversation.  Thanks for the kind words.  I ran the car last March for the $5k grudge race im sure i shared it.....and never drove it again, I sold it back in October.  I sold all of the racing equipment, tow vehicles etc.

I really have no interest in cars right now....but i didn't sell the equipment yet.  :twisted:  :twisted:

ah heck... that is known as a " male mid life crisis" happens in mid 40's usually.  I watched some older friends change up everything around them.. did it myself as I recall.....

which is something that is getting more sketchy for me.  My memory is geting worse the last 18 - 24 months.  I told my wife if she finds my car keys and wallet in the fridge. it's time to lock me up
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Carps

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"HEY   :!:  :!:    Another long time friend heard from .... :D   Good to hear from you Carps...I think the last time you visited, you were knocking down trees & tearing your house down  :?:  :?
Hope that all is well with you .... 8) Bob.. :wink:

Yup, missed the Nat's last year due to spending some time in hospital again, all good now after a minor little hiccup that say me drive a car at high speed under the back of a truck.  Walked away from it so nothing to worry about once the Doc's figured out what caused my excursion into darkness.

After almost a year of fighting the city council and trades people who promise the world, demand payment up front, then never show up when promised, not to mention over $50k spent, this is what I have.

from the top of the drive-way

From the left side of the block.

From the right side of the block.

And what covers the dirt once the retaining walls are built and drainage installed.

Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

UGLY OLDS

Gee Carps ....Your house seems to be gone ... :shock:    Nice collection of rocks/boulders & such though.... :?   Nice save on the little garage..   Leaving a note works every time, huh  :?:  :idea:

Drove under the back of a truck  :shock:  :?:  :?:    Don't you have one of those special cars that slows you down when too close, warns you when you wiggle, watches for other cars sneaking up behind you , makes your morning coffee & most important.....Stops the car to avoid collisions  :?:  :?:  :idea:  

Good to see you are doing better...  The house plans look really neat ...They seemed to forget the attached garage... :?   Maybe it's under the living room, dining room , master suite & kitchen  :?:  :idea:

Bob... :wink:

enjenjo

My sister in law passed yesterday. It was complications from diabetes, and totally unnecessary. She never took it seriously, skipped meds, wrong diet, no exercise. Please take care of yourself.  I should talk, I still smoke.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Frank....Prayers & condolences from our family to yours .....

Bob...

butch27

Sorry to hear Frank.  I still smoke  too. We all have our bad habits and one of my family suffers from diabetes .  Bad Problem.

phat46

My condolences Frank, you are having a bad time of it lately. It's sad when someone knows they are ill and they don't do all they can to help themselves. I have lost friends and relatives the same way. Last year I was diagnosed with a chronic disease and took it upon myself to to what I could to help myself. Lost 30 lbs, got my b.m.i. perfect and things improved dramatically. I want to see my grandsons grow up...

UGLY OLDS

Phat ...Check your PM's ..

Bob .. :wink:

kb426

I got a good start on my small amplifier I'm building. The wood is leftover from other projects. It's doweled and glued together. I used the mill to do this to take advantage of the digital readout.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

are those the digital readouts I see on banggood .com ?  I was wondering about getting some for the lathe and the mill

wayne petty

went with a friend today to look at the small block ford he is getting installed..  shop owner shows why his former engine failed..  there seemed to have been a black plastic bag ... in the oil pan that blocked the oil pickup..  how did it get there??

the oil pan had been removed by a Different previous shop who resealed the motor about 6 months ago..  could the former shop have wrapped a bag round the oil pickup tube to stop it from getting dirty while grinding and welding was going on and forgot to take it off?? or did somebody walk by when the engine was open and stuffed a bag into the open bottom of the block..  its impossible to know..

the reman engine going in may have issues also.. the block has been line honed.. but the shop owner said they never bother with checking to see if offset dowels are needed..  we just put them in.. we don't bother with that stuff..  i ask.. what cam.. doe the distributor gear need to be changed.. to match the cam.. WHY??   steel, cast iron or bronze... oh.. we never use those garbage bronze gears..  i know it was a roller cam before and its a roller cam going in.. so i just dropped my head and shut up as you cannot fix stupid..  i will probably have to eventually take the whole thing apart later and redo a bunch of stuff..

so that was my day.. and its supposed to rain even harder tonight..  last night floods were coming down streets 3 feet deep in areas.. looked like it was moving about 80 miles an hour.  but thats ok.. i parked my only vehicle under a giant jacaranda tree..

we did do one thing fun.. the womans march was going on downtown.. as we passed under the bridge with many women cheering and a few men.. my friend and i pulled up our shirts and flashed our chests at them.

kb426

C.K., those are Igaging dro's. I bought them years ago. If I live long enough, this is where I will end up. I have loaded the app in my tablet but I haven't got the bluetooth adapter yet. The newer ones maybe different but mine were 6 thousandths short per inch of measurement. But they repeated very well. If I'm doing something real accurate I compensate for the mismeasurement. It is possible to do all of this and spend very little. Yuri's website can help you with options.

http://www.yuriystoys.com/p/android-dro.html
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"I got a good start on my small amplifier I'm building.

Thats groovy  8)  I bet it will sound cool.

I did fog light bulb and radiator cap on the GTP today. Yawn, rainish. Got groceries in the 69 GP and I think I'll keep doing that... always get such nice comments on it at the store. From folks who walked by but didn't get closer than 20 ft.  :wink:

I don't think I snagged ANY end of week pics. Progress has been slow for me this week on the '33 but I think I have a door gap nobody can argue with now. Pic was Thursday. Yesterday I took the driver door off and primed spots inside and out. The roof patch came out just almost as good as I had hoped. I was not disappointed anyway.

As you can see, the roof side did not block out nice and needed fill. The other side of the car is all unsanded still. But I took that side a little farther before priming so maybe it will go smoother. Hopes. I know the rocker needs to be built out a little to look good. The first hit of primer was really about the jambs, and I will have to block and mud the bottom edges of the rockers when its off the frame.

FYI, The ship sailed long ago on this car, as far as filler sins go. Saying that because I'm showing filler over paint :oops:  8)  :arrow:  Heck theres a lacquer primer and paint job, looks like DZ7 and Guards Red, hiding in the midst of all thats on it. And theres metal that should have been blasted but has decent looking shiny on it now. So filler you see... is, before primer, Rage Gold and Metal Glaze mixed but heavy on the Rage. After primer, and over the existing finish, heavy on the Metal Glaze and light on Rage. I am cocktailing mud and glaze and spending less time re-wiping and pinholing. Helps my mind digest what I'm doing, if nothing else.  :wink:  :arrow:

That rearmost spot on the quarter ate my lunch money a couple days. In that spot, working around the old finish hurt me. Had to be mean to it there  :)
Matt