What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Heres a peek at a job up at work from today. Looks to be about ready to go home. Its a stock, straight '56 with a straight six. I never touched it but it sure is a delight to look at if you ask me. It was very nice to begin with, but the modern gloss just wasn't there and it had spots here and there. Never have liked the '56 style really but this one somehow... I dig. I'd have taken more pics but had a camera battery fart.

Matt

kb426

I'm not a real 56 fan either but that looks great. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

As I was commuting, I wondered if putting a 55 front end on a 57 was ever a thing.
Matt

chimp koose

I have always liked the 56 front end the best . Seems more refined . I used to wonder what a 57 with a 56 front clip might look like !

chimp koose

the biggest detractor from the 56 has to be the tail lights . They look way better when Desoto lenses are fitted .

UGLY OLDS

Nice lookin' '56.... A nice simple straight forward car ....Nothing "glitzy" ....... 8)

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Carnut

56 Chevy is one of my favorites. Had a couple, they really fit me at the time have many fond memories of everything except the rust outs.

I know of one 55 with a 56 front clip. I'm not fond of swaping years front clips.

Heh, heh, kinda like the 33 Ford Coupe with the 34 hood sides and latches is a bit off.

Although I do get a kick out of some phantoms.

Rrumbler

Nice '56 Chevy; '56 is my favorite of the shoebox years, but I never got to have one. Had a '57 quite similar to that '56, six and all; ran the wheels off of that thing - somewhere around 200K miles when I got rid of it, never got around to swapping in a V8 - traded it in on a new Pontiac Le Mans in '64.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

enjenjo

I always thought the 56 was the best of the three. I didn't like the front of the 55 or the back of the 57. I even like that color combination.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Carnut"56 Chevy is one of my favorites. Had a couple, they really fit me at the time have many fond memories of everything except the rust outs.

I know of one 55 with a 56 front clip. I'm not fond of swaping years front clips.

Heh, heh, kinda like the 33 Ford Coupe with the 34 hood sides and latches is a bit off.

Although I do get a kick out of some phantoms.

A place for the rear latch to hook is present on the 33. Does that mean its a '34? I don't split hairs, just fix what they give me. I'm no rodder but I'm learning that many of those who are enjoy searching for faults and snickering to one another as a pastime. Looks like 61-4 Cat face swapping was a thing. I dig B-O-P front ends on el Caminos too. Sounds like we can all agree that 55-7 Chevy cars are best kept looking like they did, and that everyone has a favorite year. For me, a 57 would be for show and a 55 would be for go but I dig them both. One thing is certain, I'll never have to make that choice :!:  :lol:
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Rrumbler"Nice '56 Chevy; '56 is my favorite of the shoebox years, but I never got to have one. Had a '57 quite similar to that '56, six and all; ran the wheels off of that thing - somewhere around 200K miles when I got rid of it, never got around to swapping in a V8 - traded it in on a new Pontiac Le Mans in '64.

I think Dad traded his 54 210 in on a 62 Tempest then got new Tempests again in 64 and 6. Then I came along and no more new cars. He was always satisfied with sixes too. The Sprint6 was around 245K with a .125 over block when I inherited it. 200K is sure a bunch for anything pre-1995ish. My GTP is still going strong at 241K but thats not a real Pontiac. Lots of Pontiac owners are just as fond of Chevy, including myself. I've probably spent just as much time in one as the other.
Matt

Carnut

Quote from: "idrivejunk"
Quote from: "Carnut"
A place for the rear latch to hook is present on the 33. Does that mean its a '34? I don't split hairs, just fix what they give me. I'm no rodder but I'm learning that many of those who are enjoy searching for faults and snickering to one another as a pastime. Looks like 61-4 Cat face swapping was a thing. I dig B-O-P front ends on el Caminos too. Sounds like we can all agree that 55-7 Chevy cars are best kept looking like they did, and that everyone has a favorite year. For me, a 57 would be for show and a 55 would be for go but I dig them both. One thing is certain, I'll never have to make that choice :!:  :lol:

Yeah, the hood sides have the 33 louvers and fits a 33 grille, it appears it was just made with the 34 hood latches.

idrivejunk

Almost forgot... the blue '67 Ford pickup got it's picture took for some ink (maybe Classic Trucks?) by a photog whose name I've read many times. I managed to bootleg this sample. All I did was teardown and bed floor replacement on it, but the guys did a killer job transforming the whole thing tastefully (except the interior, its nice but a head-scratcher for some of us as to why its better than stock). The utility poles will probably not be there in the mag.  :wink:  :arrow:

Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Carnut"

Yeah, the hood sides have the 33 louvers and fits a 33 grille, it appears it was just made with the 34 hood latches.

Thats odd. Or is it? I don't know if it actually did, but am told it came on that car. I see several types of aftermarket available. I wonder now if theres a difference in the inner fenders. I have one steel, one fiberglass, and neiither one fits well. I kinda want to do custom latches of some sort. Man, I gotta hurry up and get the front end squared away because other jobs. Ugh. Thanks for the good eye, at least now I know. Before googling I hadn't seen (or noticed) the single center latches on some gennie 33s.
Matt

phat46

That '56 is identical to one that was taken out of a garage across the street from my parents house when I was a kid. There was two elderly German gals living there and my older brother cut their grass, shoveled snow and did upkeep on their house. He never saw the car till it was taken out of the little one car garage when someone bought it for $100 in about 1970. We had lived there since '61 and the old gals had never driven it while we lived there....the car was pristine....