What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Well I'm still here. I check this site probably six times a day to help spend the time  that I have to spend away from concentrating. I've been working on the wiring on the Jeepster, mostly trying to remember my reasoning when I cut out what I thought would be unnecessary  wires from the donor vehicle's wiring harness. I didn't do too bad with my initial thoughts when I cut out all of the courtesy center wires with the seat belt, door locks and entry light. To make matters worse because the donor was a pick-up tow lights. That is bad enough but the wiring diagrams I have cover the whole GMC S15 model list with trucks and Blazers, 2WD or 4WD, Std. or Auto., 2.5L four or 2.8L V6., instrument cluster with gauges or without and with or without a tachometer. I don't remember having as much trouble when I first sorted these wires out but now that they are installed it's hard to tell the difference between 30 year old wires under the dash that are Red/Blk , Org/Bjk ,or Pnk/Blk . I'm getting it all sorted out and the switches mounted until I came to the brake light switch. When I mounted the steering column I had to imagine where the seat would sit because the brake pedal would be in a certain place in relation to the firewall so that the pedals and the brake booster and master cylinder could use the factory assembly. The seat and the pedals kind of placed the steering wheel so the steering column had to be modified to hook to the steering box, get the shift arm in front of the firewall, get the pedal assembly under a narrower cowl,  get the shift lever in front of the dash and get the steering wheel where I could reach it while sitting in the seat. I got all of that worked out but now I find out I can't get the brake light switch into it's mount. Well now you have something to read while you're relaxing because I tried typing to think about something else. GPster

UGLY OLDS

Stick with it Joe ... You have made lots of progress with this project ...I'm confident that you will figure out how to resolve the brake light switch.... Just think of it as another "opportunity"...8)

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

You said a mouthful, Bob.  :)  Stick with it. Suddenly one day you're ready for a test drive  8)

Heres some more '56 glory. I'm tellin ya the thing is candylike in person. Makes you just want to go pick up your chick and ride around, don't it?

Heres another one I gotta lay on y'all. None of us had ever encountered a '59 Pontiac Catalina. We all think its wicked, albeit perhaps somewhat ugly but the jury is still out on that. Hmm. Guy wants a full resto with new frame and LS but NOW. Hmm. I reckon we'll poke around some more and suggestions will be made. Aside from all that... being a (muscle era) Pontiac enthusiast, this thing a joy for me to look at. The mechanic was so excited after popping the hood that he came and got me. Glad he did, this thing is bizarre on so many levels. We all think just fresh paint inside and out with everything shined up... its SO cool. I can imagine a crate Butler-ized Catalina Bar Sinister version though. :wink: The roofline blows me away.

What would YOU do with it?

Matt

kb426

That Pontiac is a cool part of history. 59 Impala roof line, 3 deuce setup before everyone else had them, big as a train. It looks pretty good. It's the owners privilege but it seems real nice for his plans.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Today I removed the seat from the 51 again. I needed to trim some more foam for shifter clearance. I didn't have enough for 2nd gear to be easy to access. That really didn't take long. It was 69 degrees today so it was really pleasant working on it.
I worked on my quiet amplifier some. I found some vinyl sticker material in 8.5 x 11 sheets that you can run through a laser printer. I printed up a legend for the amp controls. I'm not a graphic artist so it's simple and effective for blind old guys. I used one of the blue led lights that I bought for the 51's dash for a power light. All the components in the amp run on 12v dc.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Boy ...That Pontiac is nice ... 8)   Ya don't see them like that very often....Loose the skirts, loose the Moons, bring back the rest like Mr. Pontiac intended ... :idea:  8)

Hey KB...I know that you are into old timey stuff, that amp has "adjustable dwell"...  Does it have single or dual points  :?:  :roll:

Bob... :wink:

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Boy ...That Pontiac is nice ... 8)   Ya don't see them like that very often....Loose the skirts, loose the Moons, bring back the rest like Mr. Pontiac intended ... :idea:  8)

That's the same thought I had when I saw it.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

wayne petty

Quote from: "GPster"Well I'm still here. I check this site probably six times a day to help spend the time  that I have to spend away from concentrating. I've been working on the wiring on the Jeepster, mostly trying to remember my reasoning when I cut out what I thought would be unnecessary  wires from the donor vehicle's wiring harness. I didn't do too bad with my initial thoughts when I cut out all of the courtesy center wires with the seat belt, door locks and entry light. To make matters worse because the donor was a pick-up tow lights. That is bad enough but the wiring diagrams I have cover the whole GMC S15 model list with trucks and Blazers, 2WD or 4WD, Std. or Auto., 2.5L four or 2.8L V6., instrument cluster with gauges or without and with or without a tachometer. I don't remember having as much trouble when I first sorted these wires out but now that they are installed it's hard to tell the difference between 30 year old wires under the dash that are Red/Blk , Org/Bjk ,or Pnk/Blk . I'm getting it all sorted out and the switches mounted until I came to the brake light switch. When I mounted the steering column I had to imagine where the seat would sit because the brake pedal would be in a certain place in relation to the firewall so that the pedals and the brake booster and master cylinder could use the factory assembly. The seat and the pedals kind of placed the steering wheel so the steering column had to be modified to hook to the steering box, get the shift arm in front of the firewall, get the pedal assembly under a narrower cowl,  get the shift lever in front of the dash and get the steering wheel where I could reach it while sitting in the seat. I got all of that worked out but now I find out I can't get the brake light switch into it's mount. Well now you have something to read while you're relaxing because I tried typing to think about something else. GPster

i found when doing the countach pasta untwisting.. that i used a drawing program to add colors to the diagram lines.. i did it first on photocopies of them using colored markers..   http://i.imgur.com/M1o0LXA.jpg  still ugly but not nearly as bad as it was before with stuff plugged in randomly.. http://i.imgur.com/xcYAZWB.jpg  this really helped allow me to get deep into the footwell to reach the fuse box.. http://i.imgur.com/pRPjN0w.jpg its no fun having to work with electrical wiring using long nose pliers to reach it. http://i.imgur.com/praCoxu.jpg  seems to be a golden gate bridge issue with the car.. http://i.imgur.com/d3Fg1o0.jpg  http://i.imgur.com/kgfmqGa.jpg i am wondering if a drop of sweat did that..  i needed some 1/2-13 stainless wingbolts last week.. http://i.imgur.com/2zPsJPl.jpg  forgot to take my roll of stainless mig wire to the shop.  i will make one more and have it tig welded in stainless for them next week. darn phone slow to focus.. http://i.imgur.com/fjzeOzm.jpg

i can get more wiring diagrams if you need them. PM me with your needs..

idrivejunk

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Boy ...That Pontiac is nice ... 8)   Ya don't see them like that very often....Loose the skirts, loose the Moons, bring back the rest like Mr. Pontiac intended ... :idea:  8)

Thats Chief Pontiac :arrow:  :!:  :D  What a unique face it has. It would get tons of looks with the modern treatment though. i suspect the thing as-is might be worth a heap to the right Pontiac nut :idea:

That thing... our guy got to poking around at it. The Roto Hydramatic has done what they inherently do... puked the front pump seal. She's a gusher.  :roll:  I got to looking at http://www.pontiactripower.com/ and the unfamilar coolant crossover arrangement that it has was a 59-60 only thing. Well I'll be. I wondered! Can't confirm that trips were offered on the Cat, but special ordering or late model upgrading may be why it has that. Anyhow, we figure one thing is certain... the car is rare. With our current backlog vs the customer's wish, we may try to steer them towards freshening it enough to drive for a summer then coming back for the whole nine yards.

Wonder what kinda rearend came in that '59? Of course I am thinking of abuse.  ~:)  :0-0

The chrome skirts... I could do without but had not seen those before. Wonder if they are OE or not?

I dig moons and dice on graffiti-era rides like that. I bet theres three unique stock hubcaps around somewhere for it.  :wink:

What I just can't deal with is red. Must be part bull...  :wink:  you can finish that sentence   :)  :T)
Matt

chimp koose

that poncho needs to be lowered a few inches , chrome skirts painted and then left alone.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"that poncho needs to be lowered a few inches , chrome skirts painted and then left alone.

Now you're talkin.  8)  The oh-so-groovy original vibe is intact, embrace that. After a short wiki read, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Roto_Hydramatic_transmission I'd venture that even if fresh, the trans would prove cumbersome in today's city traffic. Seriously awkward mechanical / hydraulic action during gear changes, and awful ratios. Probably sucks the whomp out of that 389 a little. This little indian fan would approve of TH400 and front disc swap to help that.   :) I just would not want to go anywhere the least bit crowded with it unless its a show.
Matt

416Ford

Vickie got a new pair of shoes on her parts car last night. No more 14 mini wheels. Picked these up at the Kzoo swap meet Saturday.

and a foot shot.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

idrivejunk

* them wheels look good on that car! I been running those for over a decade (see avatar). Keep dogs and curbs away from them, they are discontinued. I dig that car and y'all will probably like how it drives a bunch better. :D
Matt

UGLY OLDS

They look good  :!:   Keep the others for "rollers" ..... :idea:

Bob. :wink:

kb426

My question is: is Vicki happy? :)
TEAM SMART