What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "river1"Country of origin on those bearings?

TIA

later jim

Most all bearings originate in the same Asian country.  It is difficult to find others, especially when you need them on the spur of the moment.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

416Ford

Glad you made the trip without if coming apart John. Did you notice a vibration at all? I lost two u-joints in mine before I had a new shaft made. Only have this summer on it so I am not sure if all is well yet.

Bobcat is 95% done now. No more leaks and I had to pull the left drive chain out of the hydraulic fluid tank after the chain link came off. Just need to get the shake out of the front shaft now.

Anyone near Davenport Iowa who would check a car out for me? There is a 56 Chevy there I am interest in and I would like a better look before taking the six hour drive.  Thanks Dave.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"

TIA

later jim

Most all bearings originate in the same Asian country.  It is difficult to find others, especially when you need them on the spur of the moment.

John

In the past few years many items manufacture location has moved.

Same for the transmission biz.  Bushings & thrust washer manufacturing ...  for decades I could press in bushings and 95% of the time parts slipped together.  That changed in recent 3 yrs. Certain bushings have to be honed to size now.  

Thrust washers would always fit correctly. Stick them in place, quick check. Run it.   Now... thrust washers do not fit properly. Locating tangs are too long.  Bent over slightly off center or bent over too much. Locating tangs are too long and cause the washer to sit up off the part.

Not all bushings & thrust washers are a problem.  You learn quick , which ones no longer fit.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"

TIA

later jim

John

I look at the manufacturer rather than the country of origin. Timken, SKF and NSK are three brands I trust.

Here is  a list of the top ten manufacturers http://www.ebay.com/gds/Top-10-Bearing-Manufacturers-/10000000205161072/g.html

There are a ton of countries where these companies make bearings, all made to their standards. They do not rebox other manufacturers bearings. So if it is a Timken box, it better have a Timken bearing in it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

On my way in a little bit to Goodland Ks. The weather forecast isn't real good so I think I'll take the 32. I haven't cleaned it up since making a run to Dodge city thursday evening. :) What's a few more bugs? It looks like the rain will hold off until afternoon so it could be a good day. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"End of story for now. :)

I dig that pic. 8)  Big bike rally going on here and hey can I borrow some of that flat, open, trafficless prairie? I dream of the long straight road with no traffic, although I'd probably find myself going 45 trying to make it last. Hope you and the deuce made the best of it.  :)

I have been making use of the noise leniency of biker week by pro-actively returning fire, throwing 455 glasspack revs at the throttle heavy riders before they see me and twist the grip. The elder GP can be quite a bass generator at idle, and has the ancient exhaust tips pointed at the curbs for maximum staccato. :D
Matt

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "idrivejunk"
Quote from: "kb426"End of story for now. :)

I dig that pic. 8)  Big bike rally going on here and hey can I borrow some of that flat, open, trafficless prairie? I dream of the long straight road with no traffic, although I'd probably find myself going 45 trying to make it last. Hope you and the deuce made the best of it.  :)

I have been making use of the noise leniency of biker week by pro-actively returning fire, throwing 455 glasspack revs at the throttle heavy riders before they see me and twist the grip. The elder GP can be quite a bass generator at idle, and has the ancient exhaust tips pointed at the curbs for maximum staccato. :D

I live about a mile off of Interstate 49.  There is a constant roar of bikes on the Interstate.  It sounds like a small plane in the sky that never gets closer and never goes away.   Tomorrow, Sunday, they will be going north all day.  It is interesting but I have no urge to be part of the Bikes, Blues, and Barbecue.

I went to a combination car show and bluegrass festival for part of the day.  George's Purple Pickup was parked just ahead of me.  This evening I went to the Miami, Oklahoma cruise night at Waylans Ku Ku Drive In on route 66.  A good day.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

kb426

Sounds great, John. How come there's no pics? :)
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"Sounds great, John. How come there's no pics? :)

I must confess.  I really enjoy viewing the photos that you and others take and post for viewing.  But I am much better at looking at them than I am at taking them.  Maybe I am lazy, but I do not take many photos a car gatherings.  Thanks again for doing what you do.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

idrivejunk

WZ, yep. I hear the dull roar. Sounds like most everybody ate breakfast by now. Turning my bedroom into a sensory deprivation chamber because of the neighbor dog helped keep the pillow peaceful. The roar has been constant since Thursday, but have not heard that one problem dog for a couple days.  :D  :shock:  8)  I live between 49 and 71 so the roar is all around. I really don't know what the hubub is about either. We have a mayor who went ape encouraging development once part of town that was a landfill got old enough to pave.

The BBB car show was yesterday and I went briefly. It was disappointing. Took four or five pics but only one did not have alarming obesity in it. Stuff nobody should have to look at in my pics. I don't know how KB pulls it off. Patience I reckon.

Oh, and this car has had an issue ongoing, related to the IRS and only when driven hard. So last week I found an opportunity to get a vid with a taste of it's delicious, nutritious center exhaust note. What sayeth the gang, is it more like a popcorn machine or a bubble mower? This is the one car I don't have to look for to know its nearby.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CkQI5mBIVs0-[/img]
Matt

GPster

That certainly is a good color for the mono look. Continuing working on the Jeepster a little bit every day . The sun on my metal building get it hot in there but the morning sun come in when I have the rolling door open so that I can see the front floor and under the dash. I had to move the gas pedal one more time (3) and bend the brake pedal. Now I have 6" between the brake pedal and the trans tunnel with the gas pedal almost in the middle of that space but favoring the trans tunnel side. When I started on this vehicle and reading some of Jeep's history the General Purpose (GP) stuck in my mind. That's where the GPster name comes from.I even went so far as ordering a special plate one time to get that plate so it would be tied up. Seemed like an extra expense  so I let it co. When I finally got the engine running again I started thinking special plates again and I thought I'd get  JST2DRV but I'm closer but not quite there. The other night while watching the Velocity channel They were talking about some special "Clown" cars. There are of course "Rat Rods" but the way things are going and how low my expectations for it have gone I think any special plate for it will have to be POPRVt . GPster

kb426

The Pontiac sounds good but it's too loud for me. I'd be in jail before I was 3 blocks from the shop. :) If I ever start driving like a Prius owner, I might be able to have something loud and not be in trouble. :)
TEAM SMART

Rrumbler

Good looking T/A, love that Pontiac burble from the pipes.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

Crosley.In.AZ

Been a long 2 day weekend with other 'stuff' happening .  

I got so little done this weekend. Mowed the back yard grass. Washed n waxed the Goldwing this morning
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)